Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What a Guy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 08:35 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
What a Guy!

OK, this ride took place several months ago, but it's still worth visiting my blog to read about my April ride with one of the posters to the 50+ forum. There's a good photo of Guy with his custom bike.

https://historian2wheels.blogspot.com/2007/04/18.html

I remember that ride very well. Guy was very kind to ride with a novice like myself, and to both make the course interesting and to tailor it to my skill level. Oley Township is on the National Register of Historic Places. Yes, the entire township, not just a district or a couple of buildings. Here are two photos I took during that April ride:

https://historian2wheels.blogspot.com...county-pa.html

Guy rode with me today on the first annual Neil's Covered Bridge ride. Over a 20 mile course we crossed three covered bridges, including the oldest one in Chester County. Perhaps he will share his photos of them with us.

Old 10-29-07, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well now that I've thawed out and cold meds have taken hold I shall do as suggested. Neil put together a great ride. Avoided those long, long hills I can do without. More surprising is he managed to cross three covered bridges in under 20 miles. Got those other Covered Bridge Rides beat, and the price was right too.

Kennedy Bridge

Rapps Dam Bridge

Sheeder Hall Bridge

We will have to do this again, I forgot the customary shot of us riding.

Thanks for the ride Neil.
Old 10-30-07, 06:34 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love covered bridges! What a great place to ride.

We have several in a neighboring county and there are a couple annual "covered bridge" tours that I try to make each year.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-30-07, 06:57 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by guybierhaus
Well now that I've thawed out and cold meds have taken hold I shall do as suggested. Neil put together a great ride. Avoided those long, long hills I can do without. More surprising is he managed to cross three covered bridges in under 20 miles. Got those other Covered Bridge Rides beat, and the price was right too.

Kennedy Bridge

Rapps Dam Bridge

Sheeder Hall Bridge

We will have to do this again, I forgot the customary shot of us riding.

Thanks for the ride Neil.
We also forgot pie! And neither of us rode a white bike.

Old 10-30-07, 07:23 AM
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Niel, would you mind posting your route, or PM me? I'd love to do that ride, and if I get a chance, maybe do it with you next year! Great photos Guy! Which one is the oldest (I'm betting Sheeder Hall, but I wouldn't put actual money on that).
Old 10-30-07, 07:33 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by MTBLover
Niel, would you mind posting your route, or PM me? I'd love to do that ride, and if I get a chance, maybe do it with you next year! Great photos Guy! Which one is the oldest (I'm betting Sheeder Hall, but I wouldn't put actual money on that).
Sheeder Hall was built in 1850. Rapp's Dam in the 1860s. The Kennedy Bridge is a reconstruction - the original was burned down in 1986.

Here's the longer version of the route. I shortened it about five miles since neither Guy nor I were in peak condition.

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/81448

As for riding it with me, are you free Saturday?

Old 10-30-07, 07:53 AM
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Sheeder Hall was built in 1850. Rapp's Dam in the 1860s. The Kennedy Bridge is a reconstruction - the original was burned down in 1986.

Here's the longer version of the route. I shortened it about five miles since neither Guy nor I were in peak condition.

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/81448

As for riding it with me, are you free Saturday?
Thanks! I'd love to, but now I start the "meeting season." I'll basically be out of town at professional meetings from this Friday through November 30- ugh. But if we warm up a bit in December or over the holidays, I'm in! (Just got a new pair of padded tights I'm anxious to try...) Thanks for the invite!
Old 10-31-07, 06:26 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by MTBLover
Thanks! I'd love to, but now I start the "meeting season." I'll basically be out of town at professional meetings from this Friday through November 30- ugh. But if we warm up a bit in December or over the holidays, I'm in! (Just got a new pair of padded tights I'm anxious to try...) Thanks for the invite!
OK, raincheck accepted.

Old 10-31-07, 07:00 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about.