Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried Bibs?

I tried my first pair on a metric today. They're Bib Knickers. Weather was perfect for knickers with 47 degrees at the start warming to the high 60's.

I have knee warmers but with my long skinny legs they just don't make a pair of knee warmers that will stay in place long enough-I find that knee warmers are more trouble than they're worth so I've settled on knickers. My old pair of knickers was not bibs and since I "shrank" a little more this year they no longer are snug enough and tend to slide around.

I just got a pair of Bib Knickers because I couldn't find a pair of knickers without bibs from the brand I was looking for. After 6 years I've found one brand of shorts that seem to meet my comfort needs for really long rides and have given up on others. Thanks to Google, fortunately I was able to find last year's model in the brand I was needing and saved some big bucks.

Frankly I can't tell much difference in comfort between bibs and non-bibs. The biggest difference was the one time I needed to go to the bathroom and had to take off way too many clothes. I did like having the new chamois-I enjoyed and noticed the extra padding more than I expected. It did make me realize how much I'd worn out the chamois in my regular riding shorts.

So what is all the fuss about bibs??? I'm tempted to cut the darn straps off and get my daughter to put an elastic hem around the waist!!! I wonder if that will void the warranty!
    Last edited by jppe; 10-14-07 at 05:28 AM.

Biker looking for a ride!
    My Bikes
    Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea some people like Coke some like Pepsi...me personally I like Coke and don't like pepsi....bibs rock...I would not wear a pair of shorts if you gave them to me....

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biffstephens View Post
    Yea some people like Coke some like Pepsi...me personally I like Coke and don't like pepsi....bibs rock...I would not wear a pair of shorts if you gave them to me....

I like bibs, but if someone gives you a good pair of shorts, size large, you can send them to me.

To me, the advantage of bibs is that they stay in place on a long ride and keep the pad from moving away from the saddle contact area. I don't have a big problem with that with regular shorts, but the bibs are better in that regard. The disadvantage is in going to the bathroom, as jppe said.

I like both.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one pair of bibs. They're fine. But I'm just as happy with shorts. Let the bibs war begin!
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my first bibs just a little while back. I absolutely positively love them. I now understand what everyone said I was missing.

Although, I must say, I learned today that bibs do not prevent rain from falling in the midst of a ride. I got just as wet as before bibs. So while they are quite comfortable, they don't do everything.

On the other hand, I was on a black bike, so maybe that's the problem.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymeninlycra View Post
    any of you guys own a bianchi road bike?I love my canari lycra shorts,they are very comfortable for my riding.
    I do not ride to compete,I do not race,i just enjoy riding.I do sometimes 25 miles.since i can not afford a new bike,i have no bike to ride,my current bike is giving my a hard time,to uncomfortable.I am 6 feet tall
    Bianchi is just one of the bikes I would look at, but would probably be the main one I would look at but quality and name is what you pay for in this marque. The quality only comes in the Higher end of the range but there is something about the name- along with the Colour- that gets attention from most riders around.

I have a pair of Knickers that have had a couple of outings this autumn and they are Bibs. I do have one pair if Ordinary shorts but If I am buying shorts- they have to be Bibs.

I'll be honest and say that I do not need leggings on a ride as They cover the calves that then get a bit warm and itchy on long rides. The knickers just coming below the knees- keep that joint warm on the Cold days and this is a bonus to anyone like me that has had a knee injury.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

j.w
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bibs because the waistband on shorts irritates me. They can be a bit warm in Summer though.

Proud To Be An American EXCALIBUR's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biffstephens View Post
    I like canned peaches in heavy syrup. They're just plain good. I prefer lycra cycling shorts. They're just plain good also.
    EXCALIBUR
    2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=BluesDawg;5449213]
    To me, the advantage of bibs is that they stay in place on a long ride and keep the pad from moving away from the saddle contact area.
    QUOTE]

I think I've avoided that problem with plain shorts because of my big butt and midsection keeping the shorts pretty snug.

Why is it you can lose weight all over except for the love handles and your butt???????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Why is it you can lose weight all over except for the love handles and your butt???????
    That's another reason why you should wear bibs, jppe. They make you look thinner...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like bibs for same reason as BluesDawg with the additional benefit of no restriction at the waist, especially on long rides. The bathroom issue is not as big an issue with bib shorts, less "leg" to hike up than on knickers. It's just getting used to to the longer bathroom break. My biggest problem is that I forget to put on my heart rate strap, then have to take off my jersey & pull down the straps or thread it through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j.w View Post
    Bibs because the waistband on shorts irritates me. They can be a bit warm in Summer though.

Only time I ever use regular shorts anymore, when it is just too hot and humid. Bibs rock.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the bibs better because they are more comfortable at the waist. They are hotter than shorts, so I haven't been wearing them all summer. The last time I wore them, I got hot and took the straps off and just let them dangle down. Now that it is finally cooling off, I will be getting them back out. Yesterday morning it was down in the 60's when I left the house and I had to wear an under armour under my jersey.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bibs are my shepherd, I shall not want.
    They maketh me zip past green pastures;
    They leadeth me beside still waters;
    They restoreth my soul.
    They leadeth me in the right bike paths for heaven's sake.
    Even though I cycle through the darkest valley, I fear no evil;
    for my bibs are with me; my jersey and my white bike, they comfort me.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No bibs for me. Lost the "tool shed" a few years ago and don't need em. Also must say quick access is everything.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last bib I had on was when I was in a high chair.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgallagh View Post
    No bibs for me. Lost the "tool shed" a few years ago and don't need em. Also must say quick access is everything.
    You lost yours. Well, I think I found it.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nashbar had a sale a while back and I bought two pair. So much more comfortable than my shorts. Won't ever go back to plain shorts
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While performance and nashbar bibs are Ok, you can really tell a difference when you move up to Castelli, Descente or Assos. I have gone through a few pairs of performance bibs at $60/pair and now I only buy Castelli at $120/pair. The pad is much better and the lycra is much more comfortable and the seams are done really well with multiple panels. So my suggestion is not to scrimp on something you will probably wear more than any of your other clothes.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    The biggest difference was the one time I needed to go to the bathroom and had to take off way too many clothes.
    One time? You're way ahead of me. At my age, I'd have to be doing this a lot!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy might enjoy bibs...

2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ne needs more than bibs than keep him on that saddle with the nose pointed straight up in the air. Ouch!!!