Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Orbea Orca - 2007, Orbea Ordu - 2008, Cervelo P3 track, Santana Sovereign tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low-Key Hill Climb Results - Kings Mountain

The Low-Key Hill Climb series in the San Francisco Bay area started Sept. 29 and run through November 22. Number 2 in the series of 7 was Kings Mountain on October 6. I decided to go for it! After all, "low-key", right? The registration and staging was about 6.5 miles from the start. This was a sea of testosterone: 11 women registered and 75 men. We started out in groups of 10 - 20. I started out in about the fourth group - figured I would rather pass people than get passed. The biggest problem was that the segment from staging to the start was mostly downhill so no time to warm up. Starting with a cold engine, it took a few minutes for my breathing and heart rate to settle in. Statistics for the climb are as follows:

Max. grade: 14% (16% on switchbacks)
    Avg. grade: 6.8%
    Length: 4.31 miles
    Elev. gain: 1540 feet

Kings Mountain climbs through the redwoods and it was a gorgeous day.

I felt great and the grade wasn't too bad. I pushed myself but certainly not at race pace. I surprised myself and finished in third place for the women (out of 11 women) with a time of 32:42. That was good enough to contribute to my Webcor/Alto Velo team score.

Hermes and Velodiva at the staging area

The Climb on my Orbea Orca

Next week is Mount Diablo - 11.28 miles and 3220 feet of climbing - gotta love those hills.
    In bocca al lupo!

My Bikes
    see signature
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wonder you did so well, the Orbea looks FAST.
    Everyone is moving to white handlebar tape, must be the aerodynamics.
    Congrats on your result.
    Value is a Quality Ride. Tires & Wheels seal the deal Bikes:80s Harding Special/81 AD Olympian/81 Mondia Super/85 EM Corsa Extra/99 Pinarello/99 Calfee/03 Macalu/04 Tallerico

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride and results!! And I agree you look pretty fast in the profile picture! If you'd be willing to take 25-30 lbs from me I could probably climb that fast as well!!!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great results! Congratulations.
    =============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith