Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's the snow?

Has anyone gotten any snow yet? None here in Taos but the weatherman is calling for mountain top snow tonight. Middle of October is usually when it starts but none so far, besides I need 100 more miles to reach this years goal and then put the bikes away, I mean the ski want to come out!

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TaosWoman View Post
    Has anyone gotten any snow yet? None here in Taos but the weatherman is calling for mountain top snow tonight. Middle of October is usually when it starts but none so far, besides I need 100 more miles to reach this years goal and then put the bikes away, I mean the ski want to come out!

Here in Parker it is overcast, cold light rain and 38F. No snow yet this year.

Some mountain snow - and several ski areas have opened up with artificial snow.

Here is the current forecast for Copper Mountain ski area:

Today: Occasional snow. High near 38. North northwest wind between 8 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 20. North northwest wind between 7 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Monday: A 20 percent chance of snow before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. West northwest wind around 9 mph.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-14-07 at 07:40 AM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEVER is soon enough for me. I pray not before November.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's hoping you folks have a terrific skiing season.........and we get some rain!!!!!!

The only thing falling from the sky around here are withered up brown leaves.......

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right here, right now. Couple of inches but, only on the grass. Supposed to snow on and off all day.

jppe: I feel for you guys in the SE. Read a story about what might happen in Atlanta if they don't get significant rain in the next couple of weeks. Would not want to go through that.

I lived in S Spain 81-83 and water was so scarce that they actually turned it off for the entire town from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. for the better part of a year. Don't know what they would have done in the case of fire.
    Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 10-14-07 at 07:51 AM.

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    abasin reported 6 inches last night

if you want to see some snow
    try http://www.cotrip.org/atis/web.Zoomb...CTV&Zoombox=13
    click on any of the cams vail pass, to empire

loveland ski area looks like it ready to open
    http://www.dickgilbert.com/colocam-lovelandpass1.htm

I'm starting the planning for a trip to Taos at end of Jan
    my copper season pass is good for 3 days at Taos

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snowing hard here now. Big huge wet flakes. Supposed to turn to rain later today.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH306 View Post
    NEVER is soon enough for me. I pray not before November.
    December 24 will be soon enough for me It's always nice to have a little snow on the ground for the holidays but it can go away afterward.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw something on TV about some Colorado ski resort opening last week. Earliest ever open. So much for global warming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    I saw something on TV about some Colorado ski resort opening last week. Earliest ever open. So much for global warming.
    No, blame it on artificial snow!

http://arapahoebasin.com/
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-14-07 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Taos. Have the aspens turned yet? And I love snow - in the mountains. I don't live in the mountains, and don't want any snow. Gets in the way of riding, and cost me a lot of money to get my reeaaalllly long driveway plowed. Last year, we didn't have to have it plowed once! Last January 7th here in Central NJ, I went for a ride in my summer clothes - it was 72F. Loved it!

Good luck with the snow. I usually attend a conference at Keystone each year (down the road from A-Basin) and snow is good - in the mountains...
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked to see if it was snowing yet ----- oh well, sorry. It's 78 and beautiful here in sunny FLA. A little breezy for the Ride4abreast cancer charity ride today, and the Space Coast Intercoastal Century in two weeks should be just as nice. Sorry to read about the drizzle, brown leaves, etc. But with the weather being perfect, and the Buckeyes back ranked no. 1, it was a good weekend.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No snow in the Adirondacks yet - it came close Friday and Sat night. I had frost on my windshield Sat AM. I was up at the ski area this weekend helping them get ready for opening day which should be the weekend before turkey day. Have my December trip planned for Winterpark/Mary Jane - I always like the anticipation this time of year. I did get a 30 mile ride in today but since I had not ridden in two weeks it was a painful experience. Now that I am finally over a cold I can start to ride again. I can't believe that 5 weeks ago a easily polished off a century, how quickly you loose the training. With the last months work schedule and the illness it's almost like starting over again. I just hope I can hold my own through the next 5 or 6 months.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re DnvrFox's post: Not only that; back in the day hardly anyone along the Front Range even cared about skiing this early in the year (all 2 million less of us). They were all either out hunting or watching football. Skiing was for times when it got really cold. None of the artificial snow to be seen.

Having lived in these parts since 1952 (my family has been here since 1880) it is clearly warmer these days at 7220 feet elevation than it was in the 60's. Heck we had tomatoes on the vine until last week! Far cry from when my Grandmother saw it snowing here on her birthday - July 4th - many years ago.

I'll leave the ranting as to why up to others.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snow? What's that?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The place for ice is in a drink.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    Re DnvrFox's post: Not only that; back in the day hardly anyone along the Front Range even cared about skiing this early in the year (all 2 million less of us). They were all either out hunting or watching football. Skiing was for times when it got really cold. None of the artificial snow to be seen.

Having lived in these parts since 1952 (my family has been here since 1880) it is clearly warmer these days at 7220 feet elevation than it was in the 60's. Heck we had tomatoes on the vine until last week! Far cry from when my Grandmother saw it snowing here on her birthday - July 4th - many years ago.

I'll leave the ranting as to why up to others.
    Yup. Almost all the glaciers are gone, millions of acres of drought weakened pines are dead from beetle attack, I regularly ride my bicycle in January. Things they are a changin'. I've been here on and off since 1962, and my family had a coal mine near Boulder in the 1890's.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Snow? What's that?
    You folks in Georgia might ask, "Rain? What's that?"

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerlenbach@cfl. View Post
    I just checked to see if it was snowing yet ----- oh well, sorry. It's 78 and beautiful here in sunny FLA. A little breezy for the Ride4abreast cancer charity ride today, and the Space Coast Intercoastal Century in two weeks should be just as nice. Sorry to read about the drizzle, brown leaves, etc. But with the weather being perfect, and the Buckeyes back ranked no. 1, it was a good weekend.
    It was in the 70's and sunny for last nights ride here in SW Ohio. Of course it was 39F and chilly for the Friday morning ride It's that time of year when you keep both the winter and summer gear handy.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey-we have clouds in Piedmont NC today!!! It's been so long since we have had any clouds I've forgotten what a cloudy day was like!! Here's hoping for some wet stuff-even if I'm on vacation and planned for a metric today......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just broke the "All Time" record for the wettest year. The previous wttest year record was 1908.
    We don't need no stinkin snow......

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Global Warming Phrophecy for over here is warmer winters and Cooler- damper summers. Getting back into my comfy armchair now and When I was younger and in my youth- We used to have a frost in this part of the country by mid September. We never get that till November now. We used to have snow a couple of days after the New Year. Last snow was two years ago and it settled for 1/2 a day. I put it all down to the Russians and their Sputniks- or whatever they are putting up there now.

Weather is changing and this year we have not had a good summer. A fantastic spring when it it did arrive but Far too hot for the Time of year and it did not last. Then we have had the wettest summer on record- but the driest atumn for years. Even the long range weather forecast cannot be relied on- Or for that matter the Daily forecast. Weather is changing so Book your Holiday for Alaska in 2010 now. and don't forget to pack your Bikini- Or the wife's if you don't have one of your own
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bah, Humbug!!

I hate snow. You all keep it up North.

Cold weather makes my joints hurt.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's supposed to be in the high 80's the rest of the week here.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposed to snow here Wed night and Thursday. But I don't care. Off for a week to see the Big Apple. Last time I was there was 1981 and I was inebriated most of the time. This time I will pay more attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card View Post
    I hate snow. You all keep it up North. Cold weather makes my joints hurt.
    As a ski patroller, I say "Bring it on", waxed my favorite pair of skis a few days ago. I rode the most miles in many years so my ski season should start stronger. One of me main reasons I took up cycling 25+ years ago was summer conditioning for skiing, couldn't live without either now.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast