Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know anything about dehumidifiers?

Every year the mold in the Fall rainy season makes me sick as a dog for a week. We're talking bronchitis.

I have decided I need a dehumidifier, but there are is about a dozen different brands, and I haven't a clue what's good.

Thanks.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't had ANY humidity since July. You might just consider moving south..........but pack water jugs when you come!!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    Every year the mold in the Fall rainy season makes me sick as a dog for a week. We're talking bronchitis.

I have decided I need a dehumidifier, but there are is about a dozen different brands, and I haven't a clue what's good.

Thanks.
    I went to Walmart and purchased their best unit. Works great. We put it near a drain so we do not have to empty containers all the time. The unit does make some noise. It is a compressor but not as quiet as a refrigerator. It is cheaper build. I guess a mistake is to get a unit which is too small for the volume of air in your house. I would watch for that.
    We do have damp basements around here if we do not remove the humidity.

If you are interested I will look up the name and model but WM finest will do the trick.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14 houses in our road- all identical builds but 3 have humidity problems. We don't so can't advise but 2 of the houses have de-humidifiers working most of the time. One bought an expensive one and it draws out a certain amount of Moisture from the air in a day. The cheap one draws out around the same- but is noisier.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered going to the public library and checking the ratings in 'Consumer Reports'?

They probably have a comprehensive unbiased report which might point you in the right direction.

Another option might be checking www.epinions.com.

Good luck.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you live where it gets cool and you still want to run the dehumidifier then buy one with a defrost feature. I believe that they shut themselves off every so often to let the accumulated ice melt. Without defrost, you will hear the muffled sound of a fan blowing air at a solid block of ice.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got mine at home depot to use in the basement. My house is 102 years old and the basement was dug out in 1936 according to the last member of the family that we bought it from, this basement would give off a musty smell in the summer so this DH fixed that. Mine has two settings it runs either for 2 or 4 hours and then stays off for 2 or 4 hours its been running all the time for over a year and still going strong. Its a Samsung I think. I paid 179.00 on closeout