Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DG's Bike Fit Thread Kicked Up a Notch

Although I probably never will, I find myself thinking how best to set up a bike transport in the back seat area of our Grand Marquis ... minus the back seat. The only time me and the wife use the back seat area is when we take our 110 lb dog to the vet, and the dog would probably rather bop around the back seat area instead of barely being able to fit on the back bench-style seat of the sedan.

If Mercury ever made a Grand Marquis that only had the two front bucket seats, and an area behind the front seat for bulky items and big animals ... with strap hooks mounted on the floor ... I'd buy one. Has anybody seen a large sedan converted for transporting stuff, by removing the back seat from the sedan?

Any radical modifications like the one described above, done to a large family car or other vehicles, that the gang has seen for transporting bikes?

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not seen one, but is there any reason you couldn't take the hooks like they use to attach to the beds of a pickup truck, and bolt them (or large self tapping metal screw) to the area which is hidden when the seat is there?

My Bikes
    Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I can't offer any suggestions, I'm offering moral support as a fellow Grand Marquis owner :-) I've had the seat bottom out, but didn't quite have the nerve to try removing the seat back. I wonder what that rear shelf thingy in the trunk is constructed of (between trunk and passenger compartment)? Would be great if that was removable, to give one big trunk/back seat space (although it would make winter driving a bit nippy).
    I'm a little afraid of going Red Green on my car as it reaches the end of its useful highway life. It's in the genes, you see....my dad once took a still-running but not-quite-roadworthy 1951 Plymouth station wagon and cut the roof off behind the driver's seat to make a "pickup" for camp use. It served its purpose for many years afterward (dual purpose of pickup and conversation piece ;->)
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
    - Buckaroo Banzai

My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercury made a Grand Marquis on steroids, the "Marauder", but I don't see it on the Mercury website anymore. The Marauder had a more sporty suspension that I didn't need, but one thing that interested me was a trunk-access from the back seat area of the Marauder. The car had a back seat bench made specific for the Marauder ... with a pull-down component that could be used as an arm-rest ... in the middle of the back seat between the car and the trunk. The pull-down component also gave access to the trunk department. You could conceivably transport long items, perhaps skis, by sliding them from outside the trunk and through the trunk-access in the back seat area ... and between the front bucket seats if need be.

Whenever I see a Marauder on the road, I envision a modern-day moonshiner transporting his wares on Tobacco Road, with access to his shotguns in the trunk from the back seat. It's usually young folks behind the steering wheels of the Merc' on Steroids. This is probably what got me thinking about removing the back seat of my regular Merc' on Oatmeal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They call it a Dodge Magnum. Rented one for a drive to SoCal last Christmas and it was really great for wet dogs and LOTS of stuff.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
    If Mercury ever made a Grand Marquis that only had the two front bucket seats, and an area behind the front seat for bulky items and big animals ... with strap hooks mounted on the floor ... I'd buy one. Has anybody seen a large sedan converted for transporting stuff, by removing the back seat from the sedan?
    You haven't seen the back of a Crown Vic squad car, have you. Even has a fiberglass hose-it-out back seat.

When you're done converting your Marquis, it sounds like you could call it the "de Sade", what with all the straps, hooks and restraints...
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marquis de Sade ... LOL!!!

I know one thing, that it's an adventure providing sag support in a Grand Marquis. I could get one bike at a time in the trunk, but of course the riders that needed support did not have quick releases for their front wheels. Took quite a while to stow one bike with two wheels at a time in the trunk, with trunk door open and tied, so not to damage the bikes.

Mighty tempted to get a bike rack, and will be keeping an eye open for upcoming threads about bike racks.