Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too old for this

Went for a long mountain bike ride yesterday and had my first bad crash in 20 years. Stuck the front wheel, went over the bars, and tumbled down a 40 foot drop. Feeling pretty beat up today, but I'm thankful to be here to write this.
    I wanted to tell Big Paulie about my friend who has both an Atlantis amd a Rambouilet. He put knobbies on the Atlantis and rode it with us up there. He said the Atlantis is indeed more stable than the Rambouilet, but it's not a huge difference. There are a few pics in the thread, including one of Pete and his Atlantis.
    Mountain Bike Ride 10/20

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the problem with mountain biking- Get the adrenalyn and the Blood flowing. Hope you recover fast enough to get out next week- but Have a good stiff Scotch on us and forget about the Aches and pain.

Perhaps too old for the falls but that looked a good trail to ride.

If the Scotch doesn't work- try Brandy.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Thats the problem with mountain biking- Get the adrenalyn and the Blood flowing. Hope you recover fast enough to get out next week- but Have a good stiff Scotch on us and forget about the Aches and pain.

Perhaps too old for the falls but that looked a good trail to ride.

If the Scotch doesn't work- try Brandy.
    Thanks, but, being an alcoholic, I'll have to stick with Ibuprofen.
    That ride is quite an adventure, starting with a 3 hour climb on pavement turning to fire road up to about 5000 feet. From there it's 15 miles of singletrack with high speed turns, dark shaded climbs, cliffs, creek crossings, and walk sections. Truly a bit of everything. 7 hours for the whole thing.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Thanks, but, being an alcoholic, I'll have to stick with Ibuprofen.
    Me too. I've got 19 years, 5 months and 21 days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mountain bikers, simply put, are loons. Out and out crazy. Nut cases. Whack jobs. Falling down is bad, it hurts, and bad things can happen that are not easily repaired. Trails are for hiking, not biking. Roads are for bikes. Knobby tires are for children. That said, get well soon and congrats on the sobriety.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerlenbach@cfl. View Post
    Mountain bikers, simply put, are loons. Out and out crazy. Nut cases. Whack jobs. Falling down is bad, it hurts, and bad things can happen that are not easily repaired. Trails are for hiking, not biking. Roads are for bikes. Knobby tires are for children. That said, get well soon and congrats on the sobriety.
    Said with Gusto- but these MTB's when used for their original purpose are the best fun you will ever have with your shorts on- even with the Bandaids and the Bandages.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're funny.
    "Engineering! It's like math, but louder."

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having done headers over the bars on mountainbikes before, I am glad to hear you came out of it with no more damage than feeling beat up. A 40 foot tumble! Yikes! Never-the-less, that seems like a great place to ride if you keep the adrenaline under control. Doing seven hours offroad sounds like a marvelous way to spend the day.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved Mtn biking. But I simply got too old. A guy I know, our age, had his frame
    fail last year on his Mtn bike. Died a couple days later from complications. He was a good man.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still love off-road biking, but this has given me someting to think about. This lapse of concentration thing isn't sometihng I have a history of. I've ridden off-road motorcycles and road and off-road bicycles for 30 years, and the worst crash I ever had was on the road bike on the bike path. I hope to be able to go riding by Wednesday.
    Thank for your well wishes.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm glad your ok. If your like me your going riding anyway, just sometimes I go a little slower and more carefully upon reflection on how long it will take to heal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, that sounds like a nasty fall. I'm glad you're ok.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one reason I now only ride on the road.....or on Rails to Trails types of trails.

My Bikes
    Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are ok...

I must be doing something wrong....
    I go fast down hills on rough tracks...
    I push it when maybe I shouldn't...
    I'm 62 and should have more brains...
    But I've never fallen off...
    I'll keep trying.

I know.... my day will come

Yes it is a paradox
    My Bikes
    Trek, Orbea,Specilized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i donot think you are too old. I saw an 80+ MB in a race last year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I meant was too old to fall down a cliff. I think I'll avoid that trail from now on. Part of it is cut into the steep walls of the gorge, so if you fall off the bike, you could fall for a while. Certainly many of the trails I ride are safer than the highway, but I spend most of my bike time on the road. Plenty of time on Bike Forums today, however.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one!

Sorry to hear about your crash, Big John. Glad you weren't hurt worse and hope you'll heal quickly.

I had a good MTB ride today. A couple of friends and I took a drive to the area's best trials, Dauset Trails near Jackson, GA. We rode singletrack for over 3 hours (with a few stops to catch our breath).
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BD. Feeling a lot of new soreness this morning, but getting ready for work in a few minutes. I live in the foothills and the Agua Dulce fire is over a couple ridges, maybe 20 miles from here. Fires all over Southern California.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Thanks BD. Feeling a lot of new soreness this morning, but getting ready for work in a few minutes. I live in the foothills and the Agua Dulce fire is over a couple ridges, maybe 20 miles from here. Fires all over Southern California.
    Glad you're feeling okay this morning.

I've been watching the fires on the news....terrible. Hope they stay out of your neighborhood.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bigjohn,

Hope to see you up at Angeles Crest again when the fires are all out! Good to hear you survived the 40' drop. Not really far enough to use a parachute, huh?

Hope you did a "tuck and roll" kind of thing . . . still . . . 40' is a long way to fall!

After 6 crashes in '06 I've been keeping the rubber side down for all of '07 (so far). Got hit by a very strong cross-wind Sat. on the Solvang Fall Double; almost ruined my record! Moved me out about 2' into the traffic lane, but thankfully no motor vehicles were close! And somehow I kept the bike upright!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Rick, no tuck-and -roll. I actually didn't know I was falling down the gorge. I knew i was going over the bars when I slammed into the trail, then I couldn't figure out why I kept getting hit. It knocked the wind out of me, and I got up once I realized I could stand, and my Camelbak was on my left wrist and I couldn't find my bike. It was still on the trail above me.
    How was the double? Sounds like you had some serious wind. Did you see anybody we know ?

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes big john,

I saw whitecarbondude (Jon) a few times during the day (he was always faster than me!) and Lee (scvroadie) working the 2nd and 5th Checkpoints.

Yes, the wind was usually horrible, but occasionally (like coming out of Guadalupe) it was a wonderful tail-wind!

Side winds are very dangerous, as detailed above, but headwinds are just a challenge. We did have a good tail-wind on Santa Rosa road, for the last 25 miles to Buellton / Solvang. Daylight lasted just until the final checkpoint, but the Nite-Rider brought me home. The bike worked perfectly, no mechanicals or flats, so that always makes the whole ride more enjoyable.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I bought a new helmet today and went for a short ride, (the old one was broken and dented in the crash). I felt O.K. and want to do a longer ride Saturday. I need to talk to the doc about the report I got from the radiologist. It said I had a "faint calcification of the aortic arch". It also said I have 20% compression of 2 mid-thoracic vertebrae but that might be an old motorcycle injury.
    Right now it feels like I got punched in the kidney and hit on the shoulder with a bat.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes big john,

You may just want to rest and take a few days off the bike. Yeah, yeah, easier said than done and who am I to be telling you to do something that I would find very difficult . . .

Still, a few days off the bike to let your body recover would be the smart move (not that I'd do it myself!).

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Yes big john,

You may just want to rest and take a few days off the bike. Yeah, yeah, easier said than done and who am I to be telling you to do something that I would find very difficult . . .

Still, a few days off the bike to let your body recover would be the smart move (not that I'd do it myself!).

Rick / OCRR
    That's why I am considering your GMR ride, if I start hurting, I can turn around and cruise back down. Plus, Maria is a sweetheart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast