Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fleece arm warmers...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fleece arm warmers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 09:52 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fleece arm warmers...

Are the bomb. Just sayin'

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-31-07, 10:56 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Then wool arm warmers must be a nuclear arsenal.
Old 10-31-07, 11:02 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just got fleece arm warmers a few weeks ago; have used them 3 times and love them. Can't believe I rode two winters without them.
Old 10-31-07, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Arm warmers are the most versatile piece of cycling gear I have ever owned. With arm warmers...who needs to spend extra money on a long sleeve jersey? Combined with a windbreaker they give a rider quite a few options during an autumn or spring ride.

I finally retired my old wool moth-eaten pair after years of faithful service and purchased a new set.
Old 10-31-07, 11:49 PM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I am contemplating a ride early Saturday morning, but am a cold weather weenie. I do NOT like riding in the cold.

I don't have much cold weather riding gear yet, but did pick up some leg and arm warmers on sale from Performance recently. Will the warmers along with padded shorts, a jersey, and full finger gloves be sufficient in 37*F starting weather? Or will I freeze my butt off?

Last edited by speedlever; 11-01-07 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-07, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by speedlever
I am contemplating a ride early Saturday morning, but am a cold weather weanie. I do NOT like riding in the cold.

I don't have much cold weather riding gear yet, but did pick up some leg and arm warmers on sale from Performance recently. Will the warmers along with padded shorts, a jersey, and full finger gloves be sufficient in 37*F starting weather? Or will I freeze my butt off?
I would recommend adding a nylon windbreaker of some sort to your list. It need not be cycling $pecific, any windbreaker that fits will do the job.

If the weather forecast is calling for warming temps. as the day progresses - you should be okay.
Old 11-01-07, 12:39 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I would recommend adding a nylon windbreaker of some sort to your list. It need not be cycling $pecific, any windbreaker that fits will do the job.

If the weather forecast is calling for warming temps. as the day progresses - you should be okay.
While the temps aren't that cold here, I do find it challenging to wear just my short sleeve wicking jersey, even with arm warmers. I now wear a long-sleeve jersey over the arm warmers, and a sleeveless wicking shirt over the long sleeve jersey. That's still not going to be enough. I have a windbreaker, so perhaps that's what's missing. I find myself considering one of my long sleeve thick tee shirts under the jersey, which is what I used to wear when I only wore teeshirts.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-01-07, 01:08 AM

I've found that a windbreaker is adequate over a jersey and arm warmers unless it really gets cold, as in below freezing. Then it's a heavy rag wool sweater over the jersey/aw combo with windbreaker on top.

I've become a weenie lately and seldom ride when it gets that cold but it has worked well in past years.
Old 11-01-07, 04:50 AM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found that knee warmers are very versatile, as well. I like them down to the upper 40's, instead of tights. The lower leg seems to not feel as cold when the knees are covered, much like football players pants, I guess. They are easy to remove when the weather warms.
Old 11-01-07, 05:27 AM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
While the temps aren't that cold here, I do find it challenging to wear just my short sleeve wicking jersey, even with arm warmers. I now wear a long-sleeve jersey over the arm warmers, and a sleeveless wicking shirt over the long sleeve jersey. That's still not going to be enough. I have a windbreaker, so perhaps that's what's missing. I find myself considering one of my long sleeve thick tee shirts under the jersey, which is what I used to wear when I only wore teeshirts.
I bet you look like the Wicking Witch of the West!
Old 11-01-07, 06:48 AM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, the body concerned me more than the legs. Thanks for the windbreaker suggestion. I'll see if I can get one before the ride... else I'll weenie out.

If I can get by with that minimal equipment, I can easily stash the warmers in the jersey backpockets and tie the windbreaker around my waist once it warms up.

One other concern... how about the face/head vs windchill?
Old 11-01-07, 06:54 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are all a bunch of wimps. Here in Canada we ride bare-chested until the temp goes below freezing. The women too.
Old 11-01-07, 06:57 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
Yeah, the body concerned me more than the legs. Thanks for the windbreaker suggestion. I'll see if I can get one before the ride... else I'll weenie out.

If I can get by with that minimal equipment, I can easily stash the warmers in the jersey backpockets and tie the windbreaker around my waist once it warms up.

One other concern... how about the face/head vs windchill?
Around 40F I sometimes add a headband to cover the ears. They can get a little cold. I don't worry about the face until it gets below freezing.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-01-07, 07:13 AM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Around 40F I sometimes add a headband to cover the ears. They can get a little cold. I don't worry about the face until it gets below freezing.
Good. I can use some earwarmers and just stash them in the back pocket when it warms up.
Old 11-01-07, 09:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
You are all a bunch of wimps. Here in Canada we ride bare-chested until the temp goes below freezing. The women too.
I do the same because I have lots of hair on my chest. Do your women have hairy chests as well?