Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Sunday Morning Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 12:34 PM

Bikes: Trek Verve 1 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, I'm a complete newbie and haven't ridden a bicycle since I was a kid (50 now), until a couple of weeks ago. This forum was inspirational and led me to go ahead and take the plunge I've contemplated so long. I bought a used bike and have been riding it through the neighboorhood for about 20 mins a couple of afternoons each week and just starting to get my legs to work properly, maintain balance, learn to change gears, ride clipless etc, etc. The entire neighboorhood is hilly, so it's been quite a chore but great fun and excellent practice ground. Today, however, I ventured out onto the local roads for the first time and spent a glorious 1/2 hour putting in approx. 5 miles this beautiful fall morning. I know this sounds like such child's play to you vetrans, but man what a workout for this 'ol boy. It was spooky at first. The first mile or so is on a major two lane highway with a 55 mile speed limit. Of course everybody wants to drive 70 and pass within inches of you, but after that the rest of the ride was on a quite country road where I began to relax and enjoy the crisp autumn morning before returning to the safety of the neighboorhood. I thought about doing the loop a second time, but felt that it may be pushing it a bit. Every beginner's article I read, says to take it easy and not get carried away with trying to do too much at first, so I'm taking heed of the advise. Hopefully I'll go a couple of miles further the next time and each time thereafter. After all, each century begins with the first mile.
Old 11-04-07, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is funny how our minds say; we can do anything but the older we get the more the body is the one that has the last word.
Take it slow, get used to riding, let the body get used to is as well.

Good luck with the new (to you) bike & enjoy the outdoors. The nice thing about riding a bike is you can go the speed you want to go & as long as you are going forward you are exercising.
Old 11-04-07, 01:11 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barryflht
Every beginner's article I read, says to take it easy and not get carried away with trying to do too much at first, so I'm taking heed of the advise. Hopefully I'll go a couple of miles further the next time and each time thereafter. After all, each century begins with the first mile.
What they usually leave out is to make room for pie. Very important in the training regimen, especially in the beginning.

Welcome!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-04-07, 02:26 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yet another one hooked. Sunday mornings at this time of the year are a bit hit and miss for regular rides so get the alternative of Saturdays available for that long ride. And as to pie being very important- 5 miles today- Next couple of rides should see you 5 miles out to a cafe- Coffee and pie and 5 miles back. Only thing to remember is that the better cafes are a bit further out so start looking for them. Just remember that when they get to being 50 miles away- the trip back may require that you find two cafes.

Spike Milligan