Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Eat for heat

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Eat for heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 06:57 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eat for heat

This group has inspired me to change my MO, usually I would have hung the bike up for the season but all you cold weather riders have motivated me. This weekend it was two 30 mile rides, one started out in the low 20s the other in the low 30s. One thing I learned from spending long days sking out in the cold though is that a good breakfeast that has much more fat then you would normally eat really helps to keep you warm. Yesterday before I went out it was some beacon on a bagel, today it was a couple of sausage biscuits. I never eat a breakfeast like this unless I am going to be exercising quite hard in the cold - I have found I stay warmer and it stays with me longer. I am sure my doctor would not approve. So - what do you eat before heading out in the bitter cold?

BTW - My ride today had a BIG climb at mile 15, I pulled out a stinger gel and it was so cold I could barely squeeze it out of the pack.
Old 11-11-07, 09:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The food in your stomach needs to be broken down which takes awhile before it is ready to be used as fuel, and your body is using up glycogen stored in muscles (first) and liver before that.

So, while it might help feel better (for some a hunk of fatty meat might not) that meal isn't helping till a long ways into the ride (like after a couple of hours, at least). More likely it is the sugar or honey that is giving you the feeling of energy. I seem to remember that fats take close to a day to break down to usable food. Which works great for cycle tourists, commuters, high mileage training (and racing multi-day). But I think there is more inefficiency (energy spent and byproduct flushing) in breaking down fats compared to eating more carbs.

There is a pretty comprehensive look at training and body utilizing fat at https://www.marathonguide.com/trainin...BFuelOnFat.cfm
Focus is on Marathon training, so our 2-4+ hour rides at fairly high outputs fits.

I know what you feel, when I used to ski camp, the first thing you want in the morning is something hot and filling. Big bowl of oatmeal (carbs), banana and honey (sugars) and then get going.
Old 11-11-07, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Never skip breakfast!
Old 11-12-07, 07:22 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
This group has inspired me to change my MO, usually I would have hung the bike up for the season but all you cold weather riders have motivated me. This weekend it was two 30 mile rides, one started out in the low 20s the other in the low 30s. One thing I learned from spending long days sking out in the cold though is that a good breakfeast that has much more fat then you would normally eat really helps to keep you warm. Yesterday before I went out it was some beacon on a bagel, today it was a couple of sausage biscuits. I never eat a breakfeast like this unless I am going to be exercising quite hard in the cold - I have found I stay warmer and it stays with me longer. I am sure my doctor would not approve. So - what do you eat before heading out in the bitter cold?

BTW - My ride today had a BIG climb at mile 15, I pulled out a stinger gel and it was so cold I could barely squeeze it out of the pack.
First - congratulations on getting out there in cold weather.

My standard breakfast before any morning ride is oatmeal, protein powder and ground flax seed. This fuels me through most of my rides - generally 30 miles.

Your doctor shouldn't mind if you stick to good fats

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-12-07, 07:36 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by reiffert
There is a pretty comprehensive look at training and body utilizing fat at https://www.marathonguide.com/trainin...BFuelOnFat.cfm
Focus is on Marathon training, so our 2-4+ hour rides at fairly high outputs fits.

I know what you feel, when I used to ski camp, the first thing you want in the morning is something hot and filling. Big bowl of oatmeal (carbs), banana and honey (sugars) and then get going.
Interesting article - seems to agree with exactly what I was saying. I good mix of carbs and fat help build sustained energy when you really need to tap into it like a hard workout on a cold day. I did not mention that I never go out right after a meal - I usually eat and then wait about one to two hours while I consume a couple of cups of coffee - also mentioned in the article. Seems my years of self experimentation have some correlation with what research confirms. I never found carbo loading to be helpful for me, this article tends to confirm that as well. What I did not realize was that the extra fat I was consuming on a cold ride might actually be of benifit during other times. I have tried this but it seems for me in the summer a bowl of oatmeal with some dried fruit is better.

You may want to review the article yourself, the carbo load you suggested does not seem to agree.

The other thing in this article - and I tried this about 10 years ago was a HRM. I found I could not use it effectively, I may try again. I have been a firm believer in interval training when there is not enough time for LSD. I also recognize my perpensity to slack off without measures to old my feet to the fire. I may ask for an HRM from santa.

Thanks again.
Old 11-12-07, 07:38 AM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Kind of a tangent, but once 'out there' in the cold. . .after a couple of hours in the saddle. . .there are few joys in this life as good as a thermos of coffee: hot, strong, creamy, with real caloric sweetener, like honey. Ever see the old Popeye cartoons when he bolts whatever was in that can labeled "Spinach"? That's what the hot coffee does!!! Caffeine AND endorphins. . .HoooHAAAA!!!

Old 11-12-07, 07:46 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oatmeal with ground flax seed, blueberries, sliced banana and soy milk before the ride. And a cup of coffee.

During the regular ride, which ranges from 15-30 miles, just water.

Whole-grain toast with crunchy natural peanut butter after the ride. And another cup of coffee.
Old 11-12-07, 11:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fat that's being burned on those runs is stored fat, food broken down, shipped off for storage.

Too many carb calories and excess protein will become fat also. The advantage of fat is the density of calories, not the readiness to burn. Easy to carry, not a lot of bulk and chewing, good for the day in and day out exercising.

I think the from stomach to fuel process for carbs is on the order of 6 hrs and fats and proteins is longer (maybe closer to 12).

I was oversimplifying the oatmeal for breakfast, the sugars get in quick, you get exercising, and then you start burning the pasta from the night before. We're processing the carbs for later on.

In the article, they are talking about 3 hr as extremely long (which for running, would be), and at a steady (the S in LSD) 75% heartrate. That's where the HRM comes in, to help keep from dropping into a 'cruise' mode. Bit harder on the downhills for us.

The other part is the post exercise diet - more carbs, quick. Your body has been stressed and will rapidly absorb them.