Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Shopping Heaven!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Shopping Heaven!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 09:29 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Bike Shopping Heaven!!

This past Sunday we had our annual Bike Swap in Charlotte. It is probably one of the larger "bicycle garage sales" in the Southeast. A terrific collection of both new and used bikes, equipment, clothing.

I worked a booth and also did a lot of looking and shopping. There were some really good deals especially after lunch when everyone was anxious to get rid of stuff.

I'm really, really worried. I only bought one thing. And it wasn't even anything that would help me improve my performance on the bike-but hey, looks is what counts these days anyway!!!

Do any of you have these in your area?

https://www.bigstampede.com/about.htm
Old 11-13-07, 09:43 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Do any of you have these in your area?
It's not exclusively biking but it's a great place to pick up deeply discounted gear from several vendors. They also have used gear and an auction.

I bought a pair of Shimano shoes for winter biking this year. Original price $100....my price was $35

What did you buy???

https://www.metroparks.org/_fiveRiver.../gearFest.aspx

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-13-07, 11:23 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Beverly
A new Giro Pneumo helment at 70% off. Last year I got a $70 pair of new cycling shorts for $15........

This year I drooled over the Zipp 404's, new Zipp solid disc rear wheels, beautiful frames of all colors and makes for a steal. My buddy bought a full new grouppo of SRAM Force 10 sp components for $600.........

Note to self: clean our your closet and take the stuff to sell next year.
Old 11-13-07, 11:24 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't keep us in suspense jppe- What did you buy?

Or do we have to start guessing again?

Boot fairs are big over here-Had a mate buy a box of tubes a few years ago- A Big box and they were very cheap. Should have been- Not one single one held air for 5 minutes.

Edit-A giro at 70% discount. now that is a deal.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-13-07, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Trexlertown! Spring and Fall

https://www.lvvelo.org/index.php?news...ear=&arcmonth=
Old 11-13-07, 12:44 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know of one close to here, but I would love to go to one, it sounds marvelous!
Old 11-14-07, 07:16 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, jppe, Which booth??? Was there at the Stampede @ Bruton's crib (and I mean that literally). Bought a Trek winter jacket, couple a jersey's, and a FREE bottle at the BOOTY booth...Sorry I didn't know or would have stopped by to introduce myself...
Old 11-15-07, 01:20 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I enjoyed attending the Madison Bike Swap meet last January and am looking forward to this year's event. This will be their 17th Annual Meet They are heavily attended. Neat little video of last year's meet on this URL.

https://www.brazendropouts.org/swap07.shtml

Most cities have an annual swap meet. Last year I posted info on several cities.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 11-15-07, 07:41 AM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by PAlt
OK, jppe, Which booth??? Was there at the Stampede @ Bruton's crib (and I mean that literally). Bought a Trek winter jacket, couple a jersey's, and a FREE bottle at the BOOTY booth...Sorry I didn't know or would have stopped by to introduce myself...

Sounds like Bruton's baby is getting a little richer after last night!! Sorry to have missed you!! I was there from 8am-2pm.

I was working the TT booth at the very end of the building-last booth on the right as you came in-right beside Right Gear's setup. We had a small display for the new Skin Suits we're going to offer and were also hawking raffle tickets for the Bianchi frame that was given away at the TT banquet that night. We also had a couple folks spread some of their "yard sale" items out inside the booth. Next year I'm cleaning out my closets and bringing a bunch of stuff!!
Old 11-15-07, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there some kind of web site or national list of these events? Seems like it would be a lot of fun as long as the wife does not know where you are heading.
Old 11-16-07, 05:56 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I was working the TT booth at the very end of the building-last booth on the right as you came in-right beside Right Gear's setup. We had a small display for the new Skin Suits we're going to offer and were also hawking raffle tickets for the Bianchi frame that was given away at the TT banquet that night.
Yup, Stopped by the Right Gear booth to talk to Toby & Jim for a few minutes. Saw the frame, looked pretty nice. Probably walked by each other and didn't even know. If I'd just had my 50+ jersey by then & worn it