Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling the Erie Canal Bike Tour - anyone done this?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 07:37 PM
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

www.ptny.org/canaltour/

Anyone here done this? 400 miles in 8 days - next is in July 2008.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-14-07, 07:49 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live next to the route they take, a lot of people do it - seems like a wide variety of abilities and looks like a fun ride, I am typically riding in the opposite direction when they come through. The ride should for the most part be flat - the trend is down hill as the Mohawk river (which they follow) flows down to the Hudson. Lots of tidbits of History along the way.
Old 11-14-07, 10:33 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I haven't done it either, but I commute on the local portions of the canal path. And I've ridden the canal from Medina (west) to Palmyra (east).

The path itself is in good shape. Wide, packed gravel and stone dust most of the way, paved through the Rochester area (and perhaps elsewhere.) The gravel parts are doable on skinny tires, but 28mm or wider are easier. Except through the city, most road crossings are at grade.

The past two years the ride has come though during the hottest week of the year. And it's not that nice, dry heat you get in ABQ either. There's little shade on the path since, for the most part, it's on the north side of the canal. Start early in the day, bring plenty of sunscreen and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Fortunately, the ride averages only 50 miles a day, it's flat, and usually you'll have a tailwind.

There are side trips available, including one into downtown Rochester. Few people have taken it though because of the heat.

Finally, register early since it fills up months and months ahead.
Old 11-14-07, 10:54 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
My wife, teenage son & I did the Erie Canal tour last july, a good well organized trip.
The route follows various parts of the canal system from Buffalo to Albany, generally
easy terrain about 2/3 on trails with the balance mostly on two lane roads. Some traffic
in each urban area. Overnight camping areas were fine, at schools or public parks.
PTNY offered programs or events at many of the overnight stops, as did many of the communities
along the way. The stone trails seemed to be hard on tires, IMO many people had skinny road tires where they should have had slightly beefier touring tires; those with appropriate tires did not seem to have any problems. My son wants to go back next year. My wife wants to go someplace else as
yet undecided, for variety. We got a tandem at the end of summer, so my soon to be 9 year old son can come along where ever we go. And we have the tandem connected to a trainer for pilot and navigator winter training. Back to the Erie, PTNY offers a shuttle from Albany to Buffalo, which we took; it worked well and there was no damage to our bikes or stuff in transit. There are accomodations along the way if you don't want to camp or there was the CampTel offering; a rented set up/taken down for you tent. While we tented, the CampTel thing looked interesting- their tents and equipment looked in pretty good condition. My spouse and teenager were both pleased with the trip- a double score.
Old 11-15-07, 06:13 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
While I haven't done the tour myself, these facts I do know:

1.) The canal flows from West (Buffalo), to East (Albany).
2.) The prevailing winds generally are out of the West, (tailwind).
3.) The towpath from Brockport to Fairport (approx. 30 miles) is a very
pleasant ride. (that's the only part I've personally ridden so far)
4.) tsl's advice on tires is right on the mark. I've ridden with various tire sizes
on the above stretch ranging from 23mm (do-able, but tough),
up to knobby 2 inchers (overkill). 28mm or larger street tread should
be fine (at least for the above mentioned stretch of towpath).
Old 11-15-07, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
While I haven't done the tour myself, these facts I do know:

1.) The canal flows from West (Buffalo), to East (Albany).
2.) The prevailing winds generally are out of the West, (tailwind).
3.) The towpath from Brockport to Fairport (approx. 30 miles) is a very
pleasant ride. (that's the only part I've personally ridden so far)
4.) tsl's advice on tires is right on the mark. I've ridden with various tire sizes
on the above stretch ranging from 23mm (do-able, but tough),
up to knobby 2 inchers (overkill). 28mm or larger street tread should
be fine (at least for the above mentioned stretch of towpath).
My question? Would this be doable on a road bike, assuming the setup is maybe 25 or 28 tires? Save the web site, looks interesting.
Old 11-15-07, 05:05 PM
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I think I'll try it next July.
Old 11-15-07, 06:29 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Oilman "[My question? Would this be doable on a road bike, assuming the setup is maybe 25 or 28 tires? Save the web site, looks interesting]"
I believe quite a few riders had 25 or 28 mm tires; they were also the ones with the most flats.
IMO, 30-32 mm would be better. The stone chip trail sections seemed to be hard on tires, plus there were a few soft mucky sections, especially on both sides of Syracuse. Used 42 mm Marathons on my CrossCheck, would suggest a touring type of tire construction.
ps. there was really great SAG and mechanical support on this ride, just in case
a problem came up.