Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What about those booties?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 11:00 PM
"older than dirt"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are those booties that go over your shoes worth having? Do they work to keep out the cold down to say,35F? My toes are already getting pretty numb at 40F, so I'm considering making the investment.
Old 11-14-07, 11:07 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Down to 35 absolutely. Not sure how much colder, but I expect to be ok down to 20.

I also use my wool snowboarding and/or motocross socks, and just don't tighten my shoes as much.

I might add a thin polyester base sock under the wool at colder temps.
Old 11-15-07, 05:47 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Yep. In the real cold I wear wool bike socks and Trek overbooties. A chemical toe-warmer, if it'll fit comfortably, does the job, too.

Real men just wear sandals, though.
Old 11-15-07, 07:13 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link

Real men just wear sandals, though.

With studded soles for better traction!
Old 11-15-07, 07:27 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Love my booties they keep out the cold and wind. I have worn them on a couple of 32 degree days with just wool socks and a pair of running shoes for my 7 mile commute and my feet were warm until about a half mile from work when the bottoms of my feet started to get a bit cool. If I had worn my goretex hikers I think I would have been toasty the whole way. They also keep the shoes and feet nice and dry
Old 11-15-07, 07:47 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Toe covers and wool socks work well for me down to around 40-45 degrees. Below that I use the booties and they are just super. Most are not very helpful keeping your feet dry in wet conditions though......However, you can do that with the right shoe and bootie.
Old 11-15-07, 11:21 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I find 2-3 pairs of very thin polypro socks + plastic shoe covers works well into the high 30s. However lower than that I used neoprene booties. Those work well into the 20s. I do not ride in weather colder than that

1) because now I live in Central FL and it does not get that cold here.
2) because even when I lived in MI, anything below 20 degrees produced such a wind chill on the bike that I would not ride fast enough to get a good workout. When it was that cold, I switched to cross country skiing instead.
Old 11-15-07, 11:37 AM
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have owned 3 pairs of booties....

Hated them all....I am not intrested in booties anymore..

Old 11-15-07, 02:10 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just use a couple plastic sandwich bags.
Old 11-15-07, 02:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait..this thread is about SHOE COVERS? Never mind...
Old 11-15-07, 07:14 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by webist
Just use a couple plastic sandwich bags.
I was given this tip about 6 weeks ago from my riding buddy, have used it down to 30 degrees. I had two pairs of fleece socks followed by the baggy and the shoe. It worked - but I just ordered a pair of shoe covers as I think they will work better.
Old 11-15-07, 07:21 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used booties for a couple seasons. With wool socks they work down to about 40F and help in the 35F+ range. I've since bought some Lake [Look] and NorthWave [SPD] winter riding boots. With those I get another 10F range. They are also a bit faster and more water tight.
The booties also tend to rub on the crank and make an annoying squeeking sound. They are definitely better than going without. Duct tape over mesh shoes and plastic sandwich bags over the toes also helps.
Old 11-15-07, 07:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use them when it gets below 45F - love them. Down to 20 they work well. Haven't got much experience below that.
Old 11-15-07, 09:45 PM

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Booties are a big help. But get them with some sort of re-enforcing material on the sole or they may wear out fast. Make sure they can be used with whatever cleat system you have.
Old 11-16-07, 05:46 AM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
>>> get them with some sort of re-enforcing material on the sole

Occasional application of a generous bead of GOOP acts as a sacrifcial layer on the soles of the booties. . .or any other shoe. Butt-ugly but who looks at the soles, eh?

>>> plastic sandwich bags over the toes also helps

Those long plastic bags that rural newpapers are delivered in work really well to give you an additional couple of degrees and bullet-proof water repellancy. Use 'em over the socks. The plastic seams are thin but make sure they are on the top or sides. Cold weather tights keep 'em in place. Add booties and you're good for the mid-latitudes.

Old 11-16-07, 06:04 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Even tho they are bulky and look funky, neopreme works best. I like my PI shoe covers, but dismounting at stop lights shreded them in just half a dozen rides. Winterized socks go a long way at reducing the need for booties.
Old 11-16-07, 06:36 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Down to 45F, nothing
35-45F, catalytic toe warmers
20-35F, catalytic toe warmers and toe covers
below 20F, I usually get rid of my SPD pedals and use plain platform pedals so I can wear insulated boots.

I don't like covers because they tend to hold in sweat, and once my feet become sweat-soaked, it doesn't matter if I'm wearing wool, coolmax, or polypro socks - I get cold. So rides while wearing covers are usually short: 25 miles or less.
Old 11-16-07, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoe covers work but the neoprene ones are useless when the get soaking wet.
Old 11-16-07, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've used Pearl Izumi toe cover (Calientoes) for years, and they keep my feet warm down to around freezing. I also wear wool socks, DeFeet Wooly Boolies, which are great. In the past, I've seldom ridden in temps below freezing, so the toe covers were fine. Now that I am bike commuting, I finally broke down and ordered some shoe covers (PI Cyclone) because I'll be riding in temps down to low 20s and teens this winter. I'm assuming the Cyclones will be warming than the Calientoes, and I can always use them both as well.
Old 11-16-07, 10:11 AM
Terri's Captain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It took me years of riding to discover, but here's the trick- the thick socks and covers go over the outside of the shoes. Sounds strange, but it works like a charm. With a setup like mine, your feet are in a volume of warm, protected air. You just don't get that with socks inside the shoes and tight fitting covers over the outside.

It looks a little weird, too, but I don't mind- I've been on plenty of rides where I was the only one with warm feet. They can laugh at that all they want as far as I care

It works like this- you take a big bulky pair of knit wool socks that will fit over the outside of the shoe and cut a hole in the bottom of them for the cleats. I used hot glue to seal the cut edges so there wouldn't be any unraveling (this is something you must do or the socks will come apart). Next is a pair of light coated nylon rain covers of the sort that Burley used to sell, which also have a hole cut in the bottom for the cleats. A nice thing about this is that you double the socks back down over your ankles, and that joint stays nice and warm too. The socks provide the insulated air volume, and the rain covers keep your warm air in and the cold breeze out.

Warm feet on a cold ride is a really good thing.

Rick
Old 11-16-07, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RickinFl
It took me years of riding to discover, but here's the trick- the thick socks and covers go over the outside of the shoes.
I bet you wear your underwear outside of your pants, too.
Old 11-17-07, 03:49 PM
Terri's Captain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah- I tried that, but the garbage bag body cover flapped too much in the wind.

Like I said, I've been laughed at, but I'm the one with the toasty feet.

Rick