Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you buy Jerseys that are

fun and funky, or classic and conservative.

I ask because I see so many jerseys’ on eBay that are really fun looking and I know I'd wear some of them, so I was wondering how many of the near 50 or over 50 folks would wear them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own and wear both of these, if that counts. I wear 'em quite a bit, actually.

'13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only ones I buy are the ones that fit. Don't care what they look like. If too bad to look at- they are a winter jersey and if Cool- Then they may get seen in the summer.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have quite the variety but nothing so artsy-over-the-top as the examples you've provided.

I buy event jerseys if I like the design, or "I've earned it!" jerseys like the CA Triple Crown and Thousand Mile Club for double centuries, and the Planet Ultra "Grand Slam" jersey for four Planet Ultra doubles in one year.

I avoid team and sponsor jerseys, but I do own a couple of OCRR "non-club" jerseys and a bikeforums.net "Fifty Plus" jersey!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like fun and funky. But, most jerseys I have are either, geared to group rides I have taken, or clubs I have beloned to . Next comes jersey's reflecting states or nations, I have biked through. Finally, I have two jersey's of pro teams I favor.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my jerseys are fairly conservative but one I would love to get is The "Hasbeans" jersey. Look like a can of baked beans in orange and red.- And the name suits.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now if you really want to see how bad it can get, go here.
    "Engineering! It's like math, but louder."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classic and conservative. Funny, because I'm certainly NOT conservative.
    I like the fun and funky jerseys, on other people.

The 50+ jersey is the wildest one I have.

My Bikes
    07 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dress pretty conservatively most of the time, so its fun to step out of character a bit when I'm on the bike. I particularly like those I got from Retro Image Apparel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You folks buy jerseys? With the exception of the 50+ Jersey I bought here, most of mine are gifts. I no longer get neckties for holiday gifts, but get lots of jerseys. What other people buy me varies quite a bit, from team oriented kits, colors that match my bikes, to designs that simply struck a chord with the person who has given it to me. My favorite jersey is, of course, my 50+ jersey.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to say I have a closet filled with jerseys - and they are anything from pretty, to funky to event oriented. Nowadays I buy only event jerseys. My favorites are the pretty ones from the Creston, CA - Wildflower or the funky ones from the Bakersfield Spooktacular.

Now MTB jerseys are a whole other thing - they do tend to be sedate, no graphics. Wouldn't want to scare the animals away now would I !

My Bikes
    2000 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC (100%stock)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a Discovery Team Jersey a couple of weeks ago for the giveaway price of $30. I finally got the nerve to wear it and I was surprised that no one yelled "POSER!" when I wore it on a long ride last weekend. (:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy both, so didn't vote.
    Dennis T

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classic & conservative & cheap. The most I've paid for one is around $12. I might wear something that has an interesting or funny design, but can't imagine I'd ever wear a team or advertising jersey.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Voted for fun and funky because that's what I wear riding but I also collect and even frame TDF jerseys from defunct teams like ONCE, IBENSTO etc.

If you met me riding you would probably recognize me immediately...

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun, Funky--AND HIGHLY VISIBLE. If a car is gonna hit me, I want the driver to be aiming for me.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classic and retro........... the BaySide Wheelmen (whoever they were)...that sort of thing. Cruising eBay sometimes you can find them. Not much on bizarre or, for that matter, self-deprecating. Also, having a rabid vulture on my chest as with some of the Primal Wear stuff is over the top for me. Advertizing for somebody unless I love their product has no appeal. Also, team fit resticts my "belly breathing" LOL. Sometimes, its hard to find that just right jersey. So, I often wear sleeveless, ripped up t-shirts of my son's with rock band logos. Ventilate well in this hot Valley.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both. I have a couple of solid color, a couple from charity events. One looks like a Hawaiian shirt. One advertises beer. One celebrates the kings of the blues and one is for my racing team. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

I don't have any pro team jerseys. I'd feel pretty silly wearing one of those. They look good on racers and kids.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine would be cheap and functional. If they're also fun & funky so much the better.
    My 50+ jersey is the fanciest and most expensive.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minivandriveby View Post
    I picked up a Discovery Team Jersey a couple of weeks ago for the giveaway price of $30. I finally got the nerve to wear it and I was surprised that no one yelled "POSER!" when I wore it on a long ride last weekend. (:
    Sorry to disappoint.

POSEUR!

There. Feel better?

Last edited by tsl; 11-15-07 at 06:44 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently, all my jerseys are affiliations--my club, BikeJournal.com, 50+ forum, and on order, the Great Lakes forum.

I'm not a fan of cartoons or pop culture, so I those sorts of jerseys are out. The cheetah one above would just invite scorn and laughter as I got dropped. And as someone else said above, I won't advertise product, unless I'm getting paid.

I actually like a lot of the plain ones in the catalogs although I haven't purchased any.

I'm drawn to all of these, however, and would gladly accept any one as a gift.

Should it not appear in the mail or under the tree, I plan to buy this one

to wear to a ride next summer hosted by Club Hypoxia, (Motto: Oxygen or Altitude--Pick One).

Hypoxia, meet Anaerobia.

I think the red blood cells are kinda cute.
    Last edited by tsl; 11-15-07 at 07:16 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding on rail trails means there is no need to wear flashy colors. I usually wear solid green, gray, or blue jersey. When one is riding on a rail trail in a brightly colored team jersey, you will likely be the only person on the trail doing so.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by minivandriveby View Post
    You need to wear full Disco kit to be called poser.

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conservative! At my age, I don't particularly want to look like a Nascar Driver or a clown. Well, maybe I already look like a clown but I don't want to enhance the look any more than I have to.
    "Put me on a highway. Show me a sign. Take it to the limit one more time"
    -The Eagles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast