User Tag List

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Winter Cycling Boots for Platform Pedals?

I use MKS touring pedals, and wondering what others use for good flexible winter cycling boots with platform pedals. Michigan windchills can frequently drop below minus 20 F.

If the gang know of good brands and models of winter boots, please let us know so we can give them a look. It would also be interesting to hear of why you like them.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year on my platform pedals I used my trusty old pair of full-grain leather Wolverines--Thinsulate, Gore-Tex, and a few other trademarks in 'em. Any similar hiking boot should do.

What happened to your plan for wintertime clipless?
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Shimano pd-30 platform pedals.
    they are large to nicely accomodate my size 14 feet.
    Like snow sneakers from LLBean the best. The sun came
    out nicely this afternoon, temp rose into the upper 20s,
    put on a pair of thin smartwool socks, a medium weight pair
    over the top and my snow sneakers.
    went riding for about an hr. then when i got home, my kid
    wanted to play in the snow, which we did for more than an hr.
    feet were comfortably warm the whole time. the pair i have
    are about 6 years old, they also very nicely fit my snow
    shoe bindings.
    Last edited by martianone; 11-18-07 at 05:57 PM.

My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks TSL. I still plan to do a lot of wintertime clipless, in the basement. I bought some of those new Lake wide MTB shoes, and they've been on backorder for two weeks now. The Lake wides just came out this season, and the Lake folks said they're selling a lot of them. I kinda sorta plan on using the Lake clipless in the Spring on my roadie. Until then, the immediate plan is to ride & fall (then repeat process) on my Trek 730 in the winter. Have you ordered some Lake wides for your flippers?

Okay, here is what I did a google search on:
    < Wolverines, Thinsulate, "Gore-Tex", hiking >
    Below is a cut'n'paste of a pair of pontoons ... apparently made for Mongo of Blazing Saddles fame. These things are huge! Am I on target, or am I not looking at the kind of shoes you cycle with? Wouldn't these rub against your ankle & calf muscles while peddling?

View Larger Images

Wolverine Big Bison GORE-TEX Hiking Boot (Men's) - Scotch/Maxi Brown

$109.95 to $123.95

Product Details: Wolverine Big Bison GORE-TEX Hiking Boot (Men's) - Scotch/Maxi Brown

Product DetailsBrandWolverineActivityHiking & Climbing Boots Materialgore-tex , nylon Age GroupAdult

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for something that is more flexible and lighter, Lands End and LL Bean both offer easy on/off, insulated, waterproof nylon boots.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ExtremeSq...6&origin=index

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...at=502767-sub2
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
    Thanks TSL. I still plan to do a lot of wintertime clipless, in the basement. I bought some of those new Lake wide MTB shoes, and they've been on backorder for two weeks now. The Lake wides just came out this season, and the Lake folks said they're selling a lot of them. I kinda sorta plan on using the Lake clipless in the Spring on my roadie. Until then, the immediate plan is to ride & fall (then repeat process) on my Trek 730 in the winter. Have you ordered some Lake wides for your flippers?
    Yeah, they came in on Tuesday and I took 'em to the LBS for a cleat fitting yesterday. Very, very comfy, and they fit even with three pairs of socks. Although I doubt I'll need all that. It was around 40 today so I decided to ride with my regular cycling shoes one last time.

Wolverine Big Bison GORE-TEX Hiking Boot (Men's) - Scotch/Maxi Brown

Those look very similar to the ones I've owned for several years now. Mine are shorter--6" rather than 8". They kept my feet warm and dry through a few years of bus commuting and worked just fine on platform pedals last winter.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I'll look at all of them. I'm not sure how warm the LandsEnd and LLBeans are, but they look warm and light ... and wide for hobbits such as myself.

REI has some of the Lil' Abner shoes that TSL describes, and some of them come in wides. No doubt these will be warm, but there will be some weight to them. The nice & wide hiking boots for backpacking weigh in around 3.75 pounds. But they're still a pound less than some (Fieldmaster) thinsulate boots I've had for a decade now. I can't wear these Fieldmaster clodhoppers out, and they are very comfortable.