Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It's a New Cycling Season Already!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 11:16 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

This Saturday marks the beginning of the annual "Winter Solstice Series" or also known as the Blackberry Cobbler rides out of Davidson, NC. The rides are 100 miles and are ridden every Saturday in December to build base mileage for the next year. The rides typically take 5 1/2 to 6 hours to complete at a nice group pace-and there aren't too many hills........except for 3 good climbs within the last 10 miles.

In the past we've had anywhere from 12-40 people on one of these rides. Weather has ranged from Spring-like to temps in the teens and sleeting. The route is not marked and we've had some folks that don't know the route get lost!!! There is one planned stop at 65 miles at a convenience store that has a lunch counter that traditionally has homemade cobblers.

I'm thinking that instead of sucking down the cobbler mid-ride, I'll put a piece of tupperware in my jersey pocket and bring a sample back for a post ride treat.

I think the longest ride I've done in the last couple months is 65 miles so I'm always anxious about how I'll feel on a 100 miler. No, I know how I'm gonna feel and am anxious because I know my legs are gonna hurt!

In addition, the weekly Tuesday/Thursday night rides at a local busiiness park are also starting back up. It's a great way to get in 20-30 miles on a 1-2 mile loop at a brisk pace while riding inches off wheels in the dark.......

Regardless of the weather it's got to be better than being indoors on a trainer!!

Anyone else have any "off season" riding planned to get them ready for 2008???
Old 11-27-07, 11:56 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
What is this "off season"

Monday night - 20 mile river trail ride
Friday morning - 30 mile roads
Sunday morning - 30 mile roads

These are year round rides and only get cancelled for snow/ice and temps below 25F.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-27-07, 01:14 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
We are getting ready for the first sanctioned USCF race of the 2008 season which is the San Bruno Mountain Hill climb on January 1, 2008.

COURSE: 7-8% up Guadalupe Cyn. to RH turn into San Bruno Mt. Park, loop back under
Guadalupe to Radio road with narrow switchbacks and grades of up to 10%. Total distance 3.5 miles.

After San Bruno it is on to individual TTs in March.

We are dialing up the intensity.
Old 11-27-07, 01:24 PM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
This is "on season" for me, my weekly mileage increases by 50% Nov-Mar. You can actually enjoy putting in a hard effort without feeling like you have been swimming. 20mi/day Mon-Fri and 50-75mi on Sunday for then next 4 months.

2013 Noah RS
Old 11-27-07, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost started a post about this idea of seasons. I was going to put forth the notion that seasons were really only there because of folks who race. Those who commute are likely to not have seasons in the sense of differing levels of riding. But I suppose most folks do think of their riding in terms of a season starting and a season ending. Most golfers probably think the same way. Yet, I know folks that play all year round even here in Pennsylvania. I tend to think in terms of the new calendar year. Any records I keep start and end with the new year, and any goals are always attached to the new year. With that said, I'm envious of the weather difference between Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Maybe I really should consider moving south of the Mason Dixon line?
Old 11-27-07, 04:22 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No racing or major events in my area till February, but rest period is over. If I want to do a challenge next year- I have to get out and train over the winter. Just so I do not lose too much. Now wheres that wall that needs climbing?

Spike Milligan
Old 11-27-07, 04:28 PM
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read a great quote in Cycle Sport mag this month....

"The Tour of Flanders isn't won in April, you know, it's won in December and January when all the hard kilometers are done."

Peter Van Petegem

I found it quite motivating...
Old 11-27-07, 04:28 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Here in SoCal there are far fewer organized rides in Dec. and Jan. even though the weather is really fine for cycling all year round. The "season" really starts for me in Feb. since that is the first double century (Butterfield).

That said, we've had rain or two of the Butterfield doubles that I've ridden, and one was so bad it was renamed "Butterflood." We do have to wear arm and leg warmers, jackets, and occasionally base layers and long finger gloves in addition to the year-round jersey and shorts.

We do have "training" centuries almost every Sat. throughout the winter, so we'll be able to ride doubles in the Spring without any problem. But overall, much better than MO, where I used to live!

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-27-07, 07:56 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Beverly
What is this "off season"

Monday night - 20 mile river trail ride
Friday morning - 30 mile roads
Sunday morning - 30 mile roads

These are year round rides and only get cancelled for snow/ice and temps below 25F.
I just love your attitude!!
Old 11-27-07, 08:01 PM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by BSLeVan
I almost started a post about this idea of seasons. I was going to put forth the notion that seasons were really only there because of folks who race. Those who commute are likely to not have seasons in the sense of differing levels of riding. But I suppose most folks do think of their riding in terms of a season starting and a season ending. Most golfers probably think the same way. Yet, I know folks that play all year round even here in Pennsylvania. I tend to think in terms of the new calendar year. Any records I keep start and end with the new year, and any goals are always attached to the new year. With that said, I'm envious of the weather difference between Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Maybe I really should consider moving south of the Mason Dixon line?
Mentioning golf is a great analogy for me. I'm able to play year round but I know I'm not going to score as well until the weather warms up a little and the courses and conditions are more conducive to better playing. Plus with later daylight I can just get out and play more.

Having that perspective carryover into cycling added to building up for the 100 mile mountain rides that start in late spring are probably what makes it feel like a seasonal activity for me. It's interesting to hear other's experiences and differences.
Old 11-27-07, 08:18 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My weekday evening rides this time of year are usually done as soon as I get home, on the Joe Pool Lake dam. It is a road which doesn't allow motor vehicles, so I'm not in rush hour traffic. On the weekends, I'll still be doing some 200k brevets now and then, and when I'm not riding anything else, I've laid out a nearby route on quiet country roads, that has 33 mile, 53 mile, and 86 mile versions, and I'll ride one of those, depending on the weather.

I'm bound to lose some miles to my upcoming medical stuff, but I'm hoping it won't be too many miles.