Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kestrel Evoke or RT700?

I posted this in ROAD, but I kno there's more smartness here, and less attatude, so I'm looking for help in the best place too.

I'm looking to get a carbon frame and I'm thinking that BikesDirect group buy going on in ROAD seems cool.

I'm looking for a more comfortable ride than my Motobecane Le Champion SL. It's light, but a bit rough.

So, Kestrel Evoke or RT700?
    Can anyone offer a descriptive evaluation comparing these two frames?

Think 80-100 mile rides on "OK" roads, I'm a non racer but ride lots. I'll have almost 7000 miles this year.
    I'm also not in my 20s... or 30s... or 40s any more.

If i had a ton of cash I'd be looking at a Specialized Roubaix, but I don't.

Any of you have either of these?

Thanks!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I posted this in ROAD, but I kno there's more smartness here, and less attatude, so I'm looking for help in the best place too.

I'm looking to get a carbon frame and I'm thinking that BikesDirect group buy going on in ROAD seems cool.

I'm looking for a more comfortable ride than my Motobecane Le Champion SL. It's light, but a bit rough.

So, Kestrel Evoke or RT700?
    Can anyone offer a descriptive evaluation comparing these two frames?

Think 80-100 mile rides on "OK" roads, I'm a non racer but ride lots. I'll have almost 7000 miles this year.
    I'm also not in my 20s... or 30s... or 40s any more.

If i had a ton of cash I'd be looking at a Specialized Roubaix, but I don't.

Any of you have either of these?

Thanks!
    I have neither a ton of cash or a Specialized Roubaix...........

Sorry Curtis.....couldn't pass up an opening like that.

My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I have neither a ton of cash or a Specialized Roubaix...........
    After checking the prices on this bike I concluded that though many have neither, having that latter makes it much less likely you have the former.

Hench my question about the Kestrel frames, which are going for considerably less.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check out Roadbikereview.com for a boatload of reviews.

Some people seem to hate it....others love it.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to ride a Kestral and the RT700 to see for yourself. I am suspicious of "group buys" unless I know who is organizing it and they have a track record of results.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The deal is through BikesDirect.com. I have purchased trough them and am happy. The Kestrel RT700 lists at a huge price, but will go, frame and fork, for $808. I've seen them on ebay for close to 2K. It also got some bike mag bike-o-year awards.
    I jut wonder if anyone has ridden both to compare....(or even just the RT700)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a test ride has to be on the cards. I have always ridden aluminium and I suppose I am used to how stiff it is but I was up for a new bike earlier in the year and rode a few bikes to see how they felt. I first tried C.F to see what it was all about. I was disspointed in the bikes. Cusshy ride but not one gave me the feel of the bike I am used to. The bikes went from Flexible to Dead. Tried a couple of Ti frames and they were still not right. Tried one of my favourite Makes-Kona and that was getting better but sizing not right. Just about to get my LBS to get a couple of Giants in my size for me to try- and met Boreas. It worked.

As I say- I like aluminium. but did give the other materials a chance to prove themselves.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have test ridden both. To me the Evoke was more of a "racer" ride - seemed stiffer to me. The RT700 was a nicer ride over road hash/cracks/roughness - more similar to my Ti bike that I like very much. Still like Ti better, but, the 700 had a very nice ride/feel to me.

YMMV.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the styling on the RT700 over the Evoke. The only issue I have with Kestrel is that they have been bought and sold a few times over the last few years. I don't think any of the original people are still there. They really were the guys who got CF into the market and their initial bikes based on monocoque layup where very nice. The new bikes use a two piece system. I have not heard anything bad about them but there are so many CF choices these days you don't see them much. The prices in the group buy are extremely good.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BikesDirect deal appears to be a true bargain, no doubt about it. However, it's still too much money without test ride because opinions and preferences vary. I am not sure of the return/exchange policy with BikesDirect but, if they have one then the risk is not much since about 95% of satisfaction is based on fit.

If they don't have some type exchange policy, and it is probably understandable if they don't due to this type deal, then I would borrow the extra money if you have to and, go to your local Spec dealer and get fitted on a Roubaix. It is a superb bicycle.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm lazy. Where are some links?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One major difference between the RT700 and a Roubaix are the HT lengths in a comparable size. In the 59 for example, there is 36mm difference compared to the Spec. 58. So if you are looking for a bike with a more comfort oriented geometry, the RT700 might not be it. I agree that the group buy is a smoking deal, but if it doesn't fit, you will be back looking in less than a year.