Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-30-07, 01:24 PM   #1
pedal lber

Bikes: 07 Specialized Roubaix Elite
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Wheels

I’ve been bitten by the upgrade bug…..Oh No!!

Just put a set of Neuvation R28’s on my Roubaix. Not sure exactly how much weight loss was attained, but I’m guessing about 1 pound. Of course I have to justify the purchase, so I headed for a hill I climb frequently. Its about 1.5 miles long and the grade averages about 7% with the steepest bits around 10%.

Nothing scientific, just watching the Flight Deck, my slowest speed was 1 mph faster than my slowest speed with the old wheels. The lowest gear I used was 1 cog higher than I used previously. In general, I just felt faster.

I read an article recently that tried to mathematically debunk the rotational mass argument. It made sense at the time, now I’m not so sure.

Now the question…is it the wheels or “placebo effect”? What’s been your experience?

I guess my purpose is served, regardless of how; I’m a little faster on the hills.
pedal lber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 01:28 PM   #2
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
wheels.
maddmaxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 01:41 PM   #3
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
wheels.
+1
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 01:41 PM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
[QUOTE=pedal lber;5721700]
…is it the wheels or “placebo effect”? QUOTE]

Yes
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 01:59 PM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bit of both.Stock wheels that come with a bike are generally machine built and they are not perfect in many ways. Different spoke tension- possibly out of true or Oval. On top of that the cheaper wheels have cheaper hubs and the bearings will not be perfectly set up. By going to a better quality wheel, although they may still be machine built, they are made of better components and are checked after build to ensure they are good. So the wheel is better so they will do their job more efficiently.

I recently got a pair of hand built Ultegra wheels. The ultegra wheel that was tweaked by a builder before I got my hand on them. They have made a difference over the hand built "Training" wheels that I got earlier in the year. I checked them out up against the trainer's and they are faster. No Placebo effect for me as I just did a ride on Sunday- that I did on the saturday- in the same weather conditions and all that had changed on the bike was the wheel. Even used the same model of tyre at the same pressure. So in my opinion- The better the wheel- the faster the rider. Or was it that I had changed the tyres to one that I know I like, from one that I was a bit wary of?

And on the rotational mass- Acceleration with a lighter wheel is far better. Once up to speed- then I doubt that they have any advantage- but All that braking and slowing for corners takes momentum out of your steady pace. Lighter wheels will help you get back up to speed quicker and on hills- Lighter wheels and a lighter bike and 150lbs body mass do work.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 02:14 PM   #6
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal lber View Post
I’ve been bitten by the upgrade bug…..Oh No!!

Just put a set of Neuvation R28’s on my Roubaix. Not sure exactly how much weight loss was attained, but I’m guessing about 1 pound. Of course I have to justify the purchase, so I headed for a hill I climb frequently. Its about 1.5 miles long and the grade averages about 7% with the steepest bits around 10%.

Nothing scientific, just watching the Flight Deck, my slowest speed was 1 mph faster than my slowest speed with the old wheels. The lowest gear I used was 1 cog higher than I used previously. In general, I just felt faster.

I read an article recently that tried to mathematically debunk the rotational mass argument. It made sense at the time, now I’m not so sure.

Now the question…is it the wheels or “placebo effect”? What’s been your experience?

I guess my purpose is served, regardless of how; I’m a little faster on the hills.
I guess you didn't have any problems putting 28s on your bike then, by the sound of your post. Now you got me thinking about going the same way. Not right now, but in the near future. How much clearance did you have?
Old 11-30-07, 02:30 PM   #7
pedal lber

Bikes: 07 Specialized Roubaix Elite
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I guess you didn't have any problems putting 28s on your bike then, by the sound of your post. Now you got me thinking about going the same way. Not right now, but in the near future. How much clearance did you have?
George, R28 is the model number of the wheel not the tire size. I'm running 23's on mine, so I can't be much help on the "will 28's fit thread".
pedal lber is offline   Reply With Quote