User Tag List

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc brake upgrade

I finally took the plunge and upgraded the stock V-brakes on my Trek mountain bike to Avid BB7 disc brakes. It really was straight forward and final adjustment of the calipers was a breeze. The only parts required for this project were 2 new disc-compatible wheels, front and rear brake kits, and a special rear disc adaptor for my 2002 Trek (2001-2005 Trek models require a special adaptor for the rear frame which the rear caliper then bolts directly to). I now have two 26" Matrix 750 wheels and nice set of Promax V-brakes available with only 300 miles on them if anyone is interested!

Here is a link to the new wheels:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5310

Here is a link to the disc brakes:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5222
    Last edited by Old School; 11-30-07 at 06:16 PM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love disc brakes. I have BB5's and am more than satisfied with them. It's hard for me to feature having a bike without them.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I still want disc's for my road bike.........at least on the front. (see thread about going downhill fast)

Before disc's on the MTB I used to have trouble dismounting the tires because they were melted to the rim...

That reason for having disc's doesn't get mentioned very often.

My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Hayes Nine hydraulic on my FS MTB and I will never go back. They are superior in every way to any brake system I have used. Two years now, no parts, no adjustment, no problem.
    "I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This month Cycling plus magazine reviewed the Orbea Diem Drop Disc. It is a carbon framed roadie with disc brakes. I think we will soon see a time when all the manufacturers have at least one road model that has discs. For those of us who have had to try and cobble together the pieces (I remember searching for a carbon fork with disc tabs when they were few and far between) on our own; this will be great news.

dbg
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. You point out a big hole in my bike mechanic experience. Of the 4 dozen or so buildups in the last few years I have yet to touch a disc brake set. Strange. Ouch.

But you've given me an idea... I'm rebuilding an old tandem and "brakes" are an issue, as is the potential replacement of the front fork (strangely sized french fork and headset). Maybe there is a disc brake solution waiting to be discovered there...
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino