Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love of the hunt.

Reading Spinz@50's post about his quandary over the purchase of a used bike got me thinking. I love the hunt! That process of looking at the possibilities of a new bike or major components, gets my juices flowing. I find myself preoccupied with the pending purchase, my excitement rises, I jump on the INTERNET and research as much as I can, and generally act like a man possessed. Sometimes the actual "hunt" for a new bike is more exciting that it should be. That is, I get a rush like getting high. Any others have similar responses... or, different for that matter?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    Sometimes the actual "hunt" for a new bike is more exciting that it should be.
    Only sometimes?

I had this very conversation this week with the owner of the shop that I work at. I do bike repairs in exchange for bike parts. The problem is - how many bike parts can a guy use? I've got a bunch of credits burning a hole in my pocket. So far this fall I've contemplated building myeslf a set of tubie wheels that I don't need and getting a Garmin that isn't the model that I want. Today I think that I'm going to order a $227.00 (wholesale price) saddle. The thing is that the scheaming and planning tends to be more fun than the owning.

Of the two of us, I'm the sane one. My boss just fixed himself up with an altitude chamber so he doesn't have to sleep with his wife. Now that's dedication to cycling!

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I want browse around for toys that I'm pretty sure I have no danger of buying, I check out the CycleOps PowerTap hubs.

My weak spot is for GPS gear. What a cool technology with so many possibilities.

But regarding lots of components, I have very large junk drawers labeled appropriately (hubs, ders, brakes, shifters, BBs, ..) that have lots of room for more pieces.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds of when I was a youg kid and sold seeds, greeting cards and other stuff door to door. The prize catalogue was the real reason and I got many hours of plotting and and planning on just what the right reward was... THings were simpler then.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"