rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ruling needed

At the beginning of 2007 one of my two goals was to ride to Irma's at least once every month of the year, eat pie, drink coffee and flirt with the waitress. What I need a ruling on is todays ride. When I left the house this morning the temps were in the upper 20's and it was snowing lightly. In the spirit of adventure I didn't let this stop me. In a clear case of gross stupidity, I didn't turn back after I wiped out on the snow and ice while making a turn some 9 miles out. Nor did I stop when I had problems going uphill because my back wheel kept slipping on the snow. I thought about it around mile 17 because the bike was having problems tracking in the deeping snow(note to self-road tires do not work well on snow and ice), however decided not as I had only 3 more miles to go at least only 3 miles to Irma's. At this point I was avoiding thoughts of the ride home. I made it to Irma's somewhat safely and went inside where I basked in the glow of warmth, apple pie, coffeee and the admiring comments on the state of my sanity from the other denizens therein. As the glow started to fade, I started to think about the 20 miles back to Monroe and home. Suddenly I began to feel a bit less adventuresome and a lot less manly. I couldn't call Skipper, who being somewhat more intelligent than I, had stayed at his home where it was warm, dry and where his wife was undoubtedly baking some elderberry pie. The roads truly were treacherous by now and I figured it was unsafe and unfair to call for his help. It was at this point that a good samaritan spoke up and noted that while he admired my courage and fortitude he did have a truck and a need to go to Monroe and would my bike and I be interested in a ride? Well, what with discretion being the better part of valor, I allowed as how my bike, being somewhat less hardy than I, would probably appreciate that offer ever so much. Well this meant, of course, that I also had to accept a ride as I wasn't going to hike 20 miles in my biking shoes, not that I couldn't mind you, I just wouldn't. So here I sit wondering if this ride counted toward my goal as I rode only 1/2 of the usual mileage. Does doing battle with the elements account for the difference in mileage or am I forced to go purchase studded tires or hope for a heatwave, however unlikely in sw wi in dec.?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't count. Good story, though!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have stated your goal to us properly, it was "to ride TO Irma's" once a month. You did that. The only problem I see is that you have a friend named "Skipper".
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get a V for valiant effort, but, you'll have to make the ride before the end of the month to meet your goal. Hope for warmer weather!

My Bikes
    '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get the studded tires, you know you want them.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    If you have stated your goal to us properly, it was "to ride TO Irma's" once a month. You did that. The only problem I see is that you have a friend named "Skipper".
    I agree. You get bonus points if you were able to persuade the truck driver to pay for your pie.

My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You rode to Irma's this month, didn't you? So for me it counts. And, by the way, the effort you had to produce with a wheel slipping on snow and the overall coldness was probably higher than the full roundtrip on a clear and warm summer day.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can make a ruling after getting an answer to this one question; did you flirt with the waitress?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to think I was proud of myself for coming in with a rosy glow this morning from riding early in the mid 40's. Yours was a "chilling" experience well told...I smiled all through it. Hope you bought that samaritan a piece of pie "on account" for the next time he stops in at Irma's.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a good story and it made me feel glad that I'm down here now. I see that white stuff and I start to shake just looking at it.
    George

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a braver man than I, rck. I took a look at the snow and the weather map, and immediately canceled my riding plans. Didn't see a single person out on a bike in my drive to New Glarus and back.

BTW, where is "Irma's?" Is that the restaurant over in Argyle?
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 12-01-07 at 04:03 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Atlantis, Jack Taylor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've live in Florida these many years but your post reminded me that as a youth/child in Massachusetts, I had a re-occurring fantasy about somehow making studded tires for my bicycle. The idea of riding in the snow was too enticing (not to mention "enicing!") for words. I never did it. If studded tires exist, and if they work, then for heaven's sake buy a set. What could possibly be more fun?!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, what could you have been thinking to have befriended someone called "Skipper"?

Given the conditions, I'd say it counts. You know as well as I do that when I do my December Irma's Pie Ride you will be right there with me. A slip and fall today would probably have screwed up my back even more than it already is. I have to tell you though, I enjoyed reading your story inspite of having heard it in our phone conversation earlier today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only useful thought that came to mind was:

"Send picture of waitress".

I mean, it could not possibly have been the pie or coffee.....

SB

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I rode in Michigan, I stopped when conditions got like that. I found that generally unless snow was coming down right then, the roads tended to be clear albeit salt encrusted. I never did use studded tires but I did wipe out a few times on ice so maybe they would have been a good thing.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We northerners are a hardy lot. Intelligence, however, is still debated hotly (and the "hotly" part often refers to hot brandy).
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconded. You da Man!
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there is an asterisk in the book then you can clear it.

Get someone to drive you and the bike there.......eat more pie.....flirt.....and ride home.

geesh how hard can it be.....pie, waitress, ride......pie, waitress, ride?

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only part of your sanity I question is the road tires!! Knobbies or studs, next months ride will be more of the same and you know you don't want to miss the pie or the waitress

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dorosz View Post
    The only part of your sanity I question is the road tires!! Knobbies or studs, next months ride will be more of the same and you know you don't want to miss the pie or the waitress
    Yeah, and bonus points will be awarded if the waitress misses you. You get double points if she's hot.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid I'm struggling with this one.

Of course, the ruling will be that 'yes, you are nuts', but I can't work out whether it's because you attempted said trip, because you didn't have the right tyres, because you WILL do it next month (or we'll be merciless), or because you failed to flirt with the waitress.

Richard
    incidentally, it's 25 outside as I type this, 25C and rising
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't count. You must get studded tires, then go back for more pie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I can make a ruling after getting an answer to this one question; did you flirt with the waitress?
    BluesDawg beat me to it! Come clean. Did you or did you not flirt with the waitress, or were you off your game due the conditions in the frozen north?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely it counts. Now tell us more about the waitress......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast