Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

From 1960 to 2002

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

From 1960 to 2002

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 05:47 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From 1960 to 2002

The average weight of men in the United States increased by nearly 24 lb (per https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad347.pdf).

Average height only increased by one inch during that time.

As a result, average Body Mass Index increased from just over 25 to almost 28.

Sadly, we're becoming a nation (if not, a world) of Fatties.
Old 12-12-07, 06:24 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Hmmm... I guess I'm above average. In that time I put on 130 pounds and 36 inches.
Old 12-12-07, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another SSP rant.

Last edited by Vieja Cabra; 12-12-07 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-12-07, 07:58 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a good rant, though. It just amazes me how big so many people are, with no intentions of doing anything about it.
Old 12-12-07, 08:25 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Americans could be the healthiest, happiest people in the world, but we destroy ourselves by practicing the Deadly Sins of gluttony and sloth.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-12-07, 10:03 PM

Bikes: Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't you go knocking "sloth"
Nothing like a bit of "sloth" after a long ride
If fact nothing like a bit of "sloth" after a short ride
Old 12-12-07, 10:06 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I overachieved!

But am now working on bucking the trend. Lost 22 pounds in the last year. Hopefully will knock off another 10-15 in the next year.
Old 12-12-07, 10:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look how much effort it takes to actually buy healthy food . You have to read the back of everything to find out if the "lowfat" or " light" label is a bunch of BS not to mention all of the partially hydrogenated crap in all of those "green" packages. The population just wants to grab the most convienient thing to shove down their mouths. And then theres the exercise...
Old 12-13-07, 06:51 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I'd have to count myself as one of the unhealthy ones as well........at least until I lost 50+ pounds. If you haven't observed folks in general these days it is a very pitiful sight though-and also very, very concerning.
Old 12-13-07, 07:39 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
The average weight of men in the United States increased by nearly 24 lb (per https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad347.pdf).

And??

If you are concerned, what is your proposed solution?
Old 12-13-07, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP

And, living longer. Go figure.
Old 12-13-07, 08:06 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
The thing that really makes me sad is to see young kids who are so obese. I think it's almost child abuse to let a kid get in that shape, as they have almost no hope of getting themselves down to a normal weight -- ever. People in their teens are developing the type of diabetes that used to hit people in middle age.

I heard recently that, for the first time since the 1800s, the average life expectancy of the generation that is about 10-15 years old now is less than the expectancy of the previous generation, and it's all due to increased obesity.
Old 12-13-07, 08:13 AM
Banned.

Gripe, gripe, gripe.

How about a solution, instead of just griping?

What are YOU doing about it, or what COULD you (or we) do?
Old 12-13-07, 08:30 AM
Been around

Bikes: Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya I know how to fix it !!

Burn all the TV and Cable stations, get rid of Net, then people would have to do some thing else other than sit on there butts.

Not likely "Just sayin"

Most often it takes a major health event to get people moving in the other direction
Old 12-13-07, 08:34 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Gripe, gripe, gripe.

I know that in the past, folks here have admitted to leading neighborhood bike rides for folks, etc. I know that I try to lead folks our age or older on bike rides and walks.

Also, several insurance companies pay for their senior members to join the "Silver Sneakers" senior exercise programs at gyms. They are amazigly popular and well attended around here. They are not my "cup of tea" but they are others.

Our city council /recreation department and county has provided for an amazing array of 100's of miles of beautiful and easily usable walking and bicycling trails, and thousands of acres of open space which are heavily used.

There are a couple of positive things going on.

But, then, Colorado has once again been listed as the "fittest" state in the country.

What others?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-13-07 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-13-07, 08:38 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This last year the life expectancy for Americans actually went DOWN, the first time in the history of the country!
I'd be willing to bet though, that the life expectancy of bikers probably will continue to go UP!
Old 12-13-07, 08:38 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Let see, I personally have increased my weight from about 8 lbs to 190 lbs in that time... Is that bad? (I was a baby in 1959 )
Old 12-13-07, 08:53 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that in the past, folks here have admitted to leading neighborhood bike rides for folks, etc. I know that I try to lead folks our age or older on bike rides and walks.

Also, several insurance companies pay for their senior members to join the "Silver Sneakers" senior exercise programs at gyms. They are amazigly popular and well attended around here. They are not my "cup of tea" but they are others.

Our city council has provided for an amazing array of beautiful and easily usable walking and bicycling trails, which are heavily used.

There are a couple of positive tings going on.

What others?

There are tons of programs and education available to people but many choose to ignore them. They're content to take medications for their health problems instead of attacking the problem with diet and exercise. There is no way you can force a person to take control of their life....it has to be their choice.

I volunteer with the local parks and lead bike rides each week from April through October. We see very few families with kids attend this program. Most participants are 50+.

We had a cycling club board meeting last night and one of the items discussed was the lack of younger members and families. We discussed ways to attract this age group. We're looking at the possibility of holding a bike rodeo in conjuction with one of our regular club events. Anyone have ideas that have worked for their club?

As kids we didn't have the internet, computer games and other entertainment devices of the current generation. We went outdoors to play and ride our bikes. I have to admit if I had small children today I would be a little reluctant to let them have the freedom to roam the neighborhood like I had when I was growing up. Hell, I wouldn't even want them to go to the malls or other public places such as parks without me. The world is a lot more violent than the one I grew up in

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 12-13-07, 09:01 AM
Banned.

Our rec department is currently designing a new skate park. They have asked for input from the potential users of the park. They had over 80 young folks attend the first planning meeting.

A skate park provides an amazing amount of exercise, balance and skill development.

Not ALL is bad, folks.
Old 12-13-07, 10:05 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gripe, gripe, gripe.

Well, from my perspective, bicycles are the answer! I ride mine to work most days, and burn over 3000 calories per week from my daily commutes. Plus, I'm not contributing to the global CO2 crisis.

Unfortunately, our society is geared towards an automobile lifestyle, with many of us living in houses that are miles and miles away from where we work. Many neighborhoods are also arranged so that it is not at all easy to do your basic errands without getting in your car. Contrast this to most cities where these daily tasks (grocery shopping, going to the bank, etc.) are done by walking - it's one reason why city dwellers tend to be thinner than their porky suburban counterparts.

Actually, the "solution" to the problem of fatness is quite simple - move a little more each day, and eat a little less. Unfortunately, just because it's simple doesn't mean it's easy. Most folks fail because they'd rather sit on the couch and eat while they're entertained by the drivel on TV (or, the computer).

The same issue of the New England Journal of Medicine from which I got the link above contained several reviews of new textbooks on obesity. They're synopsis: "Is obesity a treatable disease? The short answer is no. Clinicians who have been in practice for more than 20 years are aware of the facts. Despite the lip service that has been paid to healthful lifestyles, people of all ages, geographic origins, and nationalities have been steadily increasing their girth."

One thing that might help is if we raised the gasoline tax. Raising it by $2-5 per gallon could help a lot by encouraging folks to drive less and walk/bike more. Call it a "Carbon Tax" or a "War on Terror Tax", or whatever. It would get US gas prices in line with most of the rest of the world, and generate revenue that could be used for something like a national health care system. Of course, it will never happen because we in the US feel it's our god-given right to drive our big ole SUV's whenever and wherever we want with fuel that costs less than bottled water.
Old 12-13-07, 12:28 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by roadpig2001
Look how much effort it takes to actually buy healthy food . You have to read the back of everything to find out if the "lowfat" or " light" label is a bunch of BS not to mention all of the partially hydrogenated crap in all of those "green" packages. The population just wants to grab the most convienient thing to shove down their mouths. And then theres the exercise...
how many calories is all that panel-reading worth?
Old 12-13-07, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP

It is a worldwide problem, not just the USA. From a vacation in Mexico several weeks ago, there were folks from at least a dozen countries world wide at the resort and 80% of them were either just plain fat or overweight.
Old 12-13-07, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
how many calories is all that panel-reading worth?
Its not so much the calories ,its the nasty chemicals added to many foods that are hocked to the public as healthy. Personally I avoid items that are loaded with chemicals especially ANYTHING that is partially hydrogenated. The sad thing is that alot of overweight people go for these psuedo heath foods that may be slightly lower in fat but jacked up with extra carbs. BTW I challenge you to find me a product made by Pillsbury that does not have partially hydrogenated something in it. IMO they are the worst of the big food companies. Shop organic from small venders, may cost more but its worth it.
Old 12-13-07, 01:44 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
1959 and I was 12 and Britain was just about to recover from the hardships of WWll. It took that long for things to recover over here. Then early to mid 60's and the baby boomers started to go to work. More money coming into households and those kids not being a burden on the parents.

In 59 we did not have supermarkets- fast food outlets or Junk Food. That had Changed by by 69 and In the town I lived in we had a supermarket- and a cafe that sold hot dogs. By 79 I was taking the wife out for an evening meal in a restaurant that I could afford-lower end of the pricing though- and the food was Pre-prepared and sold to the restaurants and just heated up. Can't remember 89 as new house and high Mortgage- but the kids treat on a saturday shopping trip was to be taken to Mc D's. 99 and the kids are taking themselves to McD's.

In 59 we had genuine food shops selling good food. by the 90's- the only butchers and bakers were in Supermarkets. Mass produced food for the masses. You can blame the obese as much as you like but it is the way of life dictated to us by society that has caused the problem. You have to look for good wholesome food that is naturally produced as food is now produced for the Seller and not the buyer. There is, and always has been, the choice of Eating Cr*p food or not. I have always preferred not to.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-13-07, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You're not likely to see kids playing outside anytime soon. Parents are too afraid of the muggers, dope dealers, kidnappers, and general perverts. That's also why parents now drive their kids everywhere - for safety in spite of the problems it causes. Better to have a fat kid than a dead one.

I'm becoming convinced it's not so much the lack of exercise or processed food. Although computer games and burgers and fries don't help things. No, The biggest enemy is... soda pop. Empty calories, that most people mindlessly swill all day long. You can easily drink enough of it to gain a pound a week or more. The problem is, diet pop has been shown to contribute even more to weight gain than standard high-sucrose stuff. Nobody's found out why that's true, but even anecdotal evidence agrees. If I could order a large iced water at McDonalds, for half the price of a soda pop, I'd do it. But at any fast food restaurant if you want water, you either buy bottled water for a premium or you get a tiny dixie cup. As for buying a Coke(tm) and then filling the cup with water instead -- the Scottish part of me won't let me do that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.