Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone see the Ironman recap?

It was on NBC this afternoon. I really enjoy seeing that feature each year. They do a super job of covering some of the more sensational competitors. Quite often I'd find myself watching with water running down my cheeks.....

Anyone hear compete in Ironman's?
    Last edited by jppe; 12-02-07 at 07:29 AM.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Anyone hear compete in Ironman's?
    That'd be waaay too easy for me. I'd be the first one to finish. I'd drown about 10 minutes into the swim and be finished.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched it, too, with tears rolling down my cheeks. Nice to know I'm not the only softie in the forum, jppe! But the marvel of the human spirit gets me every time. I was especially in awe of the man with the prosthetic legs. Interesting how prosthetic legs look when designers concentrate on function rather than form. They looked like something from a swift deer rather than a human, didn't they?

My Bikes
    '07 Trek 520, '10 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '92 Trek Multitrack 700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched it. I love the heroic individul stories. And I too cried.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but I sure enjoyed the SEC Championship game.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Do I detect a little anti-UT or maybe remotes just haven't made their way down to Ga yet.........

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched and enjoyed it. I have driven (but not ridden) those roads a few times and I marvel at the perseverance of the competitors. It does bring a tear to your eye. I did a short triathalon once. It was on the northern shore of Ohau where I lived. I was LAST out of the water (I wear contacts and was afraid some one would kick my goggles off). The guy ahead of me was 65 (I was 40 at the time). But I passed a bunch of people on the ride and killed them on the run. Man I wish I could run these days! Maybe a new hip tendon would help.
    Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 12-01-07 at 08:37 PM.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched it, too. Some of the stories were amazing.

I've never done one but I have a friend who did the Ironman for his 50th birthday.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched it and felt the same as you jppe. I enjoy watching this recap. I've missed it the last couple of years and was really glad to catch it today.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    I was LAST out of the water (I wear contacts and was afraid some one would kick my goggles off). The guy ahead of me was 65 (I was 40 at the time).
    I used to manage the finish line and scoreing every year for a big triathlon in St Louis. There was one fellow who, every year, would sit on the beach at the start and, exactly 1 minute after the horn, get up and start his swim.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    But in reflecting upon what that game did to Georgia's ranking, perhaps you didn't enjoy it as much as you thought you did.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am staying in Melbourne with my friend Dave, and watching videos of the Hawaii Ironman. He came 3rd in the 55 59 age group in 10hr 45mins.
    We went out for a ride on Sunday morning for his first ride since coming back, a nice easy 50 km at 30 km/hr, just a spin out for the legs he says, I am sore all over. I am glad he loaned me on of his bikes and I didn't have to go on my tourer.

george

his full name is Dave McCormack
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They hold an official Ironman event in Madison, WI (actually over much of Dane County, WI) every year. I watched about 30-40 minutes of it this year. They really are fantastic athletes. Perhaps next year I will try to take in a bit more of it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    But in reflecting upon what that game did to Georgia's ranking, perhaps you didn't enjoy it as much as you thought you did.
    You would think so, but not really. I really don't think we deserved a shot at the Mythical National Championship. I'm not sure anyone does this year. I do wish we could have gone to the Rose Bowl to take on USC. I think the winner of that match up could have made a strong claim to being the best team in the nation. The Sugar Bowl is always a great reward, even if the opponent is not as prestigious as you would hope for.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jibi View Post
    I am staying in Melbourne with my friend Dave, and watching videos of the Hawaii Ironman. He came 3rd in the 55 59 age group in 10hr 45mins.
    We went out for a ride on Sunday morning for his first ride since coming back, a nice easy 50 km at 30 km/hr, just a spin out for the legs he says, I am sore all over. I am glad he loaned me on of his bikes and I didn't have to go on my tourer.

george

his full name is Dave McCormack
    Chris's father?

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched it, and got tearful also. The cut off on the bike ride, that they showed a couple of the women who had worked so hard to that point and 1 was just 30 seconds past the cut off. Those people are amazing!