Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completed first Century today!

Well.....it was my first since September anyways-and the 11th this year.

We'll do these every Saturday in December just to get in some good winter base miles.

Beautiful day to ride in NC with fairly calm winds and temps around 30 at the start and high's in the mid 50's.

We had around 40 riders at the start but many of those only rode 30-60 miles. I finished with a group of 5 riders at a very comfortable pace-around 5 hr 40 min riding time.

We had to do a few more miles to get around the Christmas parade that is on the street where we start/finish so I think we had around 104-105 miles total. Usually we just jump in the parade and ride with the floats and tractors but some folks complained last year so we tried to be good citizens this year.

I changed the rear cassette on my bike last night and didn't get it on exactly right-the last gear anyway. As the result the gears weren't completely tightened together so I got to listen to a constant loud rattle for almost 6 hrs. Don't you just hate noises like that. Ugh!!

The biggest disappointment is the store at 67 miles that has the fabulous cobbler was closed for remodeling. Noone was aware of it so we were shocked as that was our one and only planned stop. Doesn't look like it will be ready by the end of December either.

With 5 Saturdays in December plus around 50 miles during the week the total miles in December could be noteable. But who's counting!!!!!!

The grilled Salmon, asparagus, rice, sweet potato and Shiraz for supper tonight tasted even better for some reason.
    Last edited by jppe; 12-01-07 at 06:14 PM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    The grilled Salmon, asparagus, rice, sweet potato and Shiraz for supper tonight tasted even better for some reason.
    You are living the life, my friend.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider, jppe, if we could harness your bicycle chain to a power generator and have you simply ride a trainer in place......why your December base mileage would power all the Christmas lights on my street. AlGore would be proud! Might even dish up some Christmas peach cobbler.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Well.....it was my first since September anyways-and the 11th this year.

We'll do these every Saturday in December just to get in some good winter base miles.

Beautiful day to ride in NC with fairly calm winds and temps around 30 at the start and high's in the mid 50's.

We had around 40 riders at the start but many of those only rode 30-60 miles. I finished with a group of 5 riders at a very comfortable pace-around 5 hr 40 min riding time.

We had to do a few more miles to get around the Christmas parade that is on the street where we start/finish so I think we had around 104-105 miles total. Usually we just jump in the parade and ride with the floats and tractors but some folks complained last year so we tried to be good citizens this year.

I changed the rear cassette on my bike last night and didn't get it on exactly right-the last gear anyway. As the result the gears weren't completely tightened together so I got to listen to a constant loud rattle for almost 6 hrs. Don't you just hate noises like that. Ugh!!

The biggest disappointment is the store at 67 miles that has the fabulous cobbler was closed for remodeling. Noone was aware of it so we were shocked as that was our one and only planned stop. Doesn't look like it will be ready by the end of December either.

With 5 Saturdays in December plus around 50 miles during the week the total miles in December could be noteable. But who's counting!!!!!!

I HATE YOU!! Just kidding. Snowing and 22 F here right now. Sounds like a great day and very glad to hear that you enjoyed it. (I would have put two wine glass clinking our of respect for the Shiraz, but they are not on the list.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 hrs 40 min riding time...a very comfortable pace????

My FASTEST century was about that speed when I was a kid of 44, riding a paceline. You guys were smokin'.

A tip of the hat t' ya.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see you back in form.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good joy, jppe. I rode a 200K brevet. It was a dark day with the wind blowing 30 mph, but as least the rain held off until we were done.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was fortunate to ride two centuries between Oct 28 and Nov 16, the Palo Verde Nuclear Century (Phoenix) and the Tour de Tucson.

I topped it off with my first triathlon on Dec 8, a sprint

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    I was fortunate to ride two centuries between Oct 28 and Nov 16, the Palo Verde Nuclear Century (Phoenix) and the Tour de Tucson.

I topped it off with my first triathlon on Dec 8, a sprint
    So now I HATE you too! Guess I should stop complaining or move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You, sir, are an inspiration.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate you.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades