Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-01-07, 05:58 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Completed first Century today!

Well.....it was my first since September anyways-and the 11th this year.

We'll do these every Saturday in December just to get in some good winter base miles.

Beautiful day to ride in NC with fairly calm winds and temps around 30 at the start and high's in the mid 50's.

We had around 40 riders at the start but many of those only rode 30-60 miles. I finished with a group of 5 riders at a very comfortable pace-around 5 hr 40 min riding time.

We had to do a few more miles to get around the Christmas parade that is on the street where we start/finish so I think we had around 104-105 miles total. Usually we just jump in the parade and ride with the floats and tractors but some folks complained last year so we tried to be good citizens this year.

I changed the rear cassette on my bike last night and didn't get it on exactly right-the last gear anyway. As the result the gears weren't completely tightened together so I got to listen to a constant loud rattle for almost 6 hrs. Don't you just hate noises like that. Ugh!!

The biggest disappointment is the store at 67 miles that has the fabulous cobbler was closed for remodeling. Noone was aware of it so we were shocked as that was our one and only planned stop. Doesn't look like it will be ready by the end of December either.

With 5 Saturdays in December plus around 50 miles during the week the total miles in December could be noteable. But who's counting!!!!!!

The grilled Salmon, asparagus, rice, sweet potato and Shiraz for supper tonight tasted even better for some reason.

Last edited by jppe; 12-01-07 at 06:14 PM.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-07, 06:34 PM   #2
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
The grilled Salmon, asparagus, rice, sweet potato and Shiraz for supper tonight tasted even better for some reason.
You are living the life, my friend.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-07, 07:54 PM   #3
CrossChain

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Consider, jppe, if we could harness your bicycle chain to a power generator and have you simply ride a trainer in place......why your December base mileage would power all the Christmas lights on my street. AlGore would be proud! Might even dish up some Christmas peach cobbler.
CrossChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-07, 08:25 PM   #4
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Well.....it was my first since September anyways-and the 11th this year.

We'll do these every Saturday in December just to get in some good winter base miles.

Beautiful day to ride in NC with fairly calm winds and temps around 30 at the start and high's in the mid 50's.

We had around 40 riders at the start but many of those only rode 30-60 miles. I finished with a group of 5 riders at a very comfortable pace-around 5 hr 40 min riding time.

We had to do a few more miles to get around the Christmas parade that is on the street where we start/finish so I think we had around 104-105 miles total. Usually we just jump in the parade and ride with the floats and tractors but some folks complained last year so we tried to be good citizens this year.

I changed the rear cassette on my bike last night and didn't get it on exactly right-the last gear anyway. As the result the gears weren't completely tightened together so I got to listen to a constant loud rattle for almost 6 hrs. Don't you just hate noises like that. Ugh!!

The biggest disappointment is the store at 67 miles that has the fabulous cobbler was closed for remodeling. Noone was aware of it so we were shocked as that was our one and only planned stop. Doesn't look like it will be ready by the end of December either.

With 5 Saturdays in December plus around 50 miles during the week the total miles in December could be noteable. But who's counting!!!!!!

I HATE YOU!! Just kidding. Snowing and 22 F here right now. Sounds like a great day and very glad to hear that you enjoyed it. (I would have put two wine glass clinking our of respect for the Shiraz, but they are not on the list.)
Old 12-01-07, 10:31 PM   #5
Louis

Bikes:
5 hrs 40 min riding time...a very comfortable pace????

My FASTEST century was about that speed when I was a kid of 44, riding a paceline. You guys were smokin'.

A tip of the hat t' ya.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 12:22 AM   #6
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Glad to see you back in form.
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 07:13 AM   #7
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
Good joy, jppe. I rode a 200K brevet. It was a dark day with the wind blowing 30 mph, but as least the rain held off until we were done.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 12:27 PM   #8
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
I was fortunate to ride two centuries between Oct 28 and Nov 16, the Palo Verde Nuclear Century (Phoenix) and the Tour de Tucson.

I topped it off with my first triathlon on Dec 8, a sprint
az_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 03:53 PM   #9
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
I was fortunate to ride two centuries between Oct 28 and Nov 16, the Palo Verde Nuclear Century (Phoenix) and the Tour de Tucson.

I topped it off with my first triathlon on Dec 8, a sprint
So now I HATE you too! Guess I should stop complaining or move.
Old 12-19-07, 06:58 PM   #10
BSLeVan

Bikes:
You, sir, are an inspiration.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 10:19 PM   #11
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +