Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's one for you neat types.

My gf calls me a 'dag' and she uses that term affectionately ... even though she was saying I should buy some nice shirts last night.

Coupled with that, my daughter (6) has a ballet concert next saturday ... in the middle of the day. Actually, a bit of a gloat here. The ex tries her best to keep my daughter's life when away from me a dark secret. I knew my little princess went to ballet but I wasn't allowed to know where or when, and consequently haven't been able to go to any concerts. Well, the lass is with me this weekend and guess what, the ballet school had a dress rehersal this weekend which she HAD to attend So now I have the school's name, made contact with her teacher, know about next weekend's concert so I can actually go see her dance and have given my contact details to the teacher so hopefully I won't have to rely on dumb luck in future

Anyways, next week's concert is in the middle of the day. It's summer. I was planning to ride my treddly there, watch the concert for 2 hours, then carry on to my parents. I mentioned this plan to my father, and copped the 'you need to look reasonably smart' speach. Sheesh, it's not black tie and tails.

Though I must confess that I sweat like blazes and it is summer here.

I don't like lycra so always wear shorts. I'll wear a jersey on a long ride but for shorter stuff (anything under 3 hours) am happy with normal shirts.

It occured to me that some new shirts, suitable for bike riding (and little girls ballet concerts) might not be a bad move.

And no, I won't be 'smart' at the concert - regardless of the shirt, loose kakhi shorts over bike shoes and anklet socks isn't the best look.

Any thoughts? Sports shirts spring to mind - I'm not into logos either, people pay ME to advertise, I don't pay for the priveledge, but you can get plain shirts.

The other problem is the sweat. Any thoughts on riding somewhere and being in a socially acceptable state to sit in a crowded hall? I'm thinking to arrive early enough to have a very slow last km or two (to cool down) and then a sit down under a tree to dry off - no carrier on the Jamis so carrying extra stuff isn't an option.

Regardless of the concert, if I want to use the bike more as everyday transport, I do need to come to terms with looking half human at the end of the ride, and I'm not feral enough to believe that sweat soaked bike gear is a 'good look'.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend dressing up a little, drive to the concert and help her celebrate her day, then change and ride later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dress up for the daughter. She's the main point of the day.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. What they said.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is your chance to make a good impression, don't blow it. Save the ride for later.

The voice of experience, I was divorced when my daughter was about the same age as yours.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your daughter looked to be a true treasure in your bike picture. I'd go overboard to take care of that young lady. I have two of my own and they're always helpful in instructing me on what to wear. Now's your chance to really bowl them over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go ahead and ride the bike, but carry some baby wipes and a micro towel to wash up with. Take some nice light weight slacks and polo shirt, carefully roll them up and carry in your bag or whatever. Either carry or ride in some all black Lotto (or similar) turf shoes with fresh polish on them. You can wash up and change at a public rest room a block away, then show up fresh and looking sharp for your daughter.

It works well for me.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your making me think that "Crocodile Dundee" is a real representation of Australia, not just a movie figure.

Geesh.....its the black lycra shorts and one of those t-shirts with the tux printed on it. You have to maintain some standards after all.........its ballet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +++1,000 on posts 2,3,4,5 and 6. Recap: this is her day. She needs her father a little more elegant than the norm. Find out what normal dress is to this function and aim higher. Dude, your own GF told you to buy some new shirts.

Also, display some grace and manners while there. Meet all of your daughters friends and their families and act like you're interested. Who knows, maybe you will be?

Here we are in the nearly dead (+50) forum and you ask what? Grow TFU. Your daughter needs her father to be Mr. Everything AND,your Ex doesn't need another opportunity to prove that you are a sweaty, irreverent old guy that thinks he's 22 and clueless. I could just hear her naggin' ***** now, "isn't he disgusting."

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree....forget the bike. Buy a nice pair of pants and shirt just for the occasion and enjoy the ballet concert.

Don't forget to take some pictures of the concert for us, too
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the thoughts. Methinks you're over stating the occasion a little - this is a middle of the day, jeans and t-shirt affair, no more (we may be a bit more casual here than you're used to, may not be too for that matter), which doesn't discount your thoughts, just moderates them a little.

Funny how threads get out of control, this was intended to be more about how to be reasonably presentable when on the bike than about the ballet concert. However, that's a product of the original post I've got a very good relationship with my daughter, despite the ex's best efforts to the contrary (there are reasons for my emotional state, financial state and alcohol consumption, all of which I'm working to reverse).

So, with all the above posts duly noted (seriously, they have been), can I hijack this thread and point it towards attempting to get around on a bike and still be reasonably presentable at the end of or in the middle of the ride?

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post

So, with all the above posts duly noted (seriously, they have been), can I hijack this thread and point it towards attempting to get around on a bike and still be reasonably presentable at the end of or in the middle of the ride?

Richard
    No. Start a new thread in which the words "daughter" and "ballet" aren't featured.

The point is that the occasion is all about your daughter and that you finally discovered her activities and can be a part of it. Forget the bike this one time and be a doting dad.

And I agree with whomever mentioned pictures.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having sat through approximatly a thousand dance recitals, many that were about three years long, I'd say take the car regardless of how informal the affair. It's not worth the effort to sit there is sweaty clothes, either for you or your seatmates. And maybe you'll get to take the dancer out for ice cream when it's over.

My Bikes
    Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your daughter is like mine all she cares about it that you are there..not what you wear

As for"can I hijack this thread and point it towards attempting to get around on a bike and still be reasonably presentable at the end of or in the middle of the ride?"
    Well Richard old mate...
    this is the land of Oz...
    chuck away those "Stubbys"
    take the bike cleats off those "thongs"
    wear what ever
    get on your bike and GO

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we seem to be hijacking this thread back to making it about us rather than about you :

FWIW: My dad was extremely casual about his attire and hygiene, and it was a source of accute embarassment for me as a young girl. He prided himself on being unconventional, and I think he considered appropriate attire to be "selling out." I never said a word to him about it and loved him nonetheless. But I wish that he could have tried to put himself in my place when he was in the "dad" role at public occasions.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be many more days to ride.....That little girl will grow up much faster than you're prepared for, so enjoy her and make her moments the center of attention while you can.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto the suggestions to dress up a bit and drive. If you find that other parents are dressed like bikers you can start riding in the future. Can you imagine how you would feel if your daughter cried to mom that daddy showed up sweating and embarrassed her? Sheese - your ex would use that as an excuse to hide more stuff from you.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really just want to be presentable some kind of wipes to clean off the stink and a decent set of clothes in a back pack or other bag that you can change into will do the job. But honestly sacrificeing one ride to be sure your daughter carries a good memory forward... your call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, that was quite manly of you to accept your beatings with a measure of repentance. From now on, every time you get the selfish urge when dealing with your precious daughter, read, reread and read again Post #15 until you can recite it verbatim.

I trust that you will do as we have almost all instructed. I absolved you of this sin. Now go get a new shirt, you bum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    (we may be a bit more casual here than you're used to, may not be too for that matter), which doesn't discount your thoughts, just moderates them a little. ...
    Richard
    Not so for Hawaii schools. I have seen one teacher here that rides his dirty mountain bike to school in T-shirt and shorts. Parks his bike in the classroom and does not change clothes.

Even if I was going to an event in his classroom, I would wash up, wear a polo shirt and slacks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Your making me think that "Crocodile Dundee" is a real representation of Australia, not just a movie figure.
    Europa:
    After all your daughter has put up living with her parents, do it up for her. And do it to spite your ex.

Maddmaxx:
    "Crocodile Dundee", boy, its so sad that that is all most Americans know of Paul Hogan. I was lucky that Santa Barbara television used to play the Paul Hogan Show. Some of the bits he did, like "Search for the Great White Wino" are classics.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 12-02-07 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a bike jersey out there that looks like a tux!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful with all this dressing up. We never knew that we had a town drunk until we saw him sober one day. Rent a limo get a tux be someone that you are not. That is what we all need.

Ride slow, take some fresh clothes if you want, something to wipe down with, some deoderant, and some mouth wash if you want to kiss the ladies. If you want to impress the kids take some chocolate candy to get them all hyped up and to get all over the little dance uniforms. After all this event is for the kids and I am sure that no parents would be upset that their kids were dirty and having fun.

Oh if I was brave enough and in your place the things that I could do.

Whatever you decide to do I hope that you have a great time.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to drive any time I can walk, jog, or bike. You can almost always bring a change of clothes and find a restroom or other place to change.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069