User Tag List

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I need a new helmet

I have been wearing my helmet for a little over a year and I think I am ready for a new one. I have washed it a few times and even sprayed febreeze in it a time or two. One day on the way home from a ride my wife sprayed perfume in it. Yesterday my son borrowed my truck for the evening. He started backing out the drive, stopped and got out with my helmet and said that if I didn't mind he would just leave it in the garage. It is a Bell and I would like to get something with more vents but at a reasonable price. Any suggestions and what do you use to clean your helmets?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the Bells have the foam padding and is it removable?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it has foam padding but it is glued in the top part and the cheap little tabs holding the sides don't look like you can put them back on.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure you can. Even if they come off you can stick them back on with a bit of rubber cement or something else that will not hurt the Styrofoam. I have removed and washed the pads on my Bell helmets numerous times.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On longer rides, the sweat accumulates and the helmet pads really get soaked. So after a ride like this, I use the garden hose without the spray nozzle. My helmet is a Giro Atmos. I hand squeeze the pads and spray with water trying to get all the sweat out of the pads. Then I squeeze the water out of the pads and let it dry in the sun. Giro helmets and most helmets come with replacement pads.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
    Yes it has foam padding but it is glued in the top part and the cheap little tabs holding the sides don't look like you can put them back on.

You can always put the foam pads back on with Velcro patches. Pull those things off and give 'em a good bath and put them in the sun to dry. I've always found Dawn to be pretty good to soak things like that in. When you sweat next summer and junk runs into your eyes you'll really be glad you washed 'em.........not to mention folks you ride with or others that wind up in enclosed spaces with your helmet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pads in my helmets never get saturated because I wear a "Headsweats" or a bandanna under the helmet. I sweat too much to ride with only a helmet on my head, the sweat would be running into my eyes after only a few miles.
    Last edited by Louis; 12-01-07 at 09:33 PM.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems a shame to buy an entire new helmet if all you want to do is to replace or clean the foam pads.

If you do, then I suggest you make sure the new one allows all the pads to be removed.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 USA Ed. & Motobecane Century Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you doing with your helmet? Shoveling manure or turning your compost pile? What is causing it to stink? I have never heard of anything like it. I don't know, how about running it through the pot scrubber cycle of the dishwasher?!?

-Spoke
    "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to remove the pads to wash them. I sweat like a fiend and even with a bandanna on, my pads get soaked. When my helmet gets really funky, I'll rinse it thoroughly under a faucet. Then I'll wash it with shampoo or dish detergent, using a soapy rag to saturate the pads with lather. Then rinse it and put it out in the sun to dry. Don't wash at it, wash it.

Nothing to say you can't also buy a new helmet.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom I want a helmet like yours.

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After every couple of rides, I take my helmet in the shower....wash it with soap and water just like myself. Got some funny looks from my wife the first time, but that's not unusual....

My Bikes
    Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S,,,,!!
    I must be a slob...
    I've never washed it
    It dose get a good wash in the rain...
    Ok ok I'll go buy a new one today
    my old one is old I guess.... like 16years old

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your advice. I just tried taking the pads out thinking the velcro was a good idea but because of the way they are glued in and the foam they are made of they started tearing. I just washed it with dish soap and I made sure to wash the straps too. I guess I will just wash it more often, as I sweat in it on most rides. It got up to 80 F here today. If I (they) still have problems I will see if I can find some replacement pads and put them in with velcro.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as my pads get funky, I pull them out and use one of these under the helmet.
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...g-Bandana.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement Pads

I have a 2005 blue and white Giro Atmos. I emailed Giro about obtaining replacement pads.
    They emailed back for my address and a couple weeks later I received a set of replacement pads no charge.
    I tried a Bell R Sweep and liked it better and purchased it a year ago.
    I just emailed Bell and they just emailed back asking for my address so I think they are going to send me a set of pads too. If I am right I think I read somewhere Giro and Bell are one in the same or one owns the other.
    BTW I would like to sell the Atmos size M (has new never used pad set and helmet travel case).

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
    I have been wearing my helmet for a little over a year and I think I am ready for a new one. I have washed it a few times and even sprayed febreeze in it a time or two. One day on the way home from a ride my wife sprayed perfume in it. Yesterday my son borrowed my truck for the evening. He started backing out the drive, stopped and got out with my helmet and said that if I didn't mind he would just leave it in the garage. It is a Bell and I would like to get something with more vents but at a reasonable price. Any suggestions and what do you use to clean your helmets?
    LOL! That would make a great commercial. Your family is pretty funny with their not-so-subtle hints. Good luck on your search for a helmet that smells fresh for more than a year.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CB HI - I went to the envirosafety site and liked the looks of their products. I was going to order the hard had insert and give it a try, but they wanted over $9.00 shipping for a $3.00 liner.

Boatguytoo- How much do you want for the Atmos and will a medium fit a 7 3/8" head?

TtuF- they are pretty good sports and they don't mind giving me a bit of a hard time.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be proud of that sweat Romad! You've earned every drop and sniff of it! Besides, bikers don't sweat, they perspire!