Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wind Jacket...

We had some reasonably healthy wind today in northwest AR, around 14 mph sustained with gusts to 23. Temperature was about 50 when I rode to the barbershop. I was wearing a long sleeve jersey with a long sleeve wicking tee shirt under it. The wind cut through both layers like a knife. Upon my return to the house, I donned my new wind jacket prior to getting a few miles in. The wind jacket, thin and unlined, made a huge difference. I am duly impressed. As I am a wuss about riding in cool/cold weather, this is great progress for me. I may eventually get the hang of it.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyvek!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a long time user of wind breakers or "shells" of any kind. Even when I used to ride in cold winter temps I used a shell over everything. Breaking wind is very important.

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got both a wind vest and a wind jacket, both in that same high-visibility eye-gouge yellow-green color. Both are very lightweight poly shells, but they breathe quite well through side panels and mesh backs.

Today it was about 44 when I started out so I wore both the vest and the shell for better core warmth, along with a base T and long-sleeved jersey. The combination worked nicely, and I was able to shed the vest after I warmed up. It stashed quite nicely in the jacket's back pocket.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On really cold days, (like 30-ish), I find that either a fleece jacket with a windbreaker vest underneath, or a fleece vest with a full windbreaker over it are a good combination of warmth and windbreakability.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades