Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-02-07, 10:49 AM   #1
rideon7

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got Lucky! Got Bike!

For the last few weeks I've been looking around for another bike. I was divided between a retro steel, traditional straight top-tube bike, or a C.F. "relaxed geometry" ride like the Specialized Roubaix. I'd been checking eBay, Craigslist, bike shops, etc. Heard good things about Gunnar steel frames, but what was I to do, head out to Wisconsin to buy one? Ah, no. The Roubaix is a nice bike, but I wasn't ready to spend a couple of grand for another bike, since I wanted to continue to enjoy the companionship and benefits of a married life.

Then, just by chance, I dropped in a Craigslist site around Thanksgiving and found the near-pristine, size 59, 2002 LeMond Buenos Aires in the gorgeous candy apple red pictured below! I bought it for just over half of what it retailed for back in '02. Buyer interest in the bike was INTENSE, especially from around Seattle, but because I live closer to the seller, I was able to get there first! Got it! And now I get the fun of starting to tweak it with a new stem, cassette, and probably the seat.

An upshot of this is that now I will be selling my '04 Buenos Aires. That's the year LeMond first produced its "blend" frame of carbon fiber and OX platinum steel. Try as I might to convince myself that the bike fit me (it's a size 57), switching out the stem to change angle and length, I finally just had to admit that the frame is too small. I enjoyed it while I had it but it just didn't quite feel right.

So that's it! New bike, new ride! And, who knows, there may still be a Roubaix in my future (but keep that on the down-low).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002 LeMond B.A. #1.JPG (48.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2002 LeMond B.A. #2.JPG (47.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2002 LeMond B.A. #3.JPG (49.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2002 LeMond B.A. #4.JPG (49.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by rideon7; 12-02-07 at 11:18 AM.
rideon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 10:51 AM   #2
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations...sweet lookin' bike

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote