Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

"older than dirt"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Training videos?

I'm stuck on the trainer a lot, and wonder if it would be good to use training videos like the Carmichael ones I see advertized (the "Cadence" one, for example). What would you recommend? Thanx.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pink Floyd's The Wall
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my very scientific approach: I watch some sports event and ride really hard during the commercials.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

"older than dirt"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big help, guys.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Here's my very scientific approach: I watch some sports event and ride really hard during the commercials.
    I had a friend who watched NFL football. He used to sprint during actual plays, recover the other times. Worked well as the plays aren't all that lengthly.

But, nope, I can't help otherwise.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New World Disorder or Kranked. They aren't workouts but I find them inspiring when on the trainer.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farandaway View Post
    Big help, guys.
    You asked.

I have one of those Spynergy (or whatever they call them) DVDs that came with my trainer. The plastic wrap is still on it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean Spinervals.

I have a few of them. I also watch old movies and tv shows while on the trainer.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farandaway View Post
    I'm stuck on the trainer a lot, and wonder if it would be good to use training videos like the Carmichael ones I see advertized (the "Cadence" one, for example). What would you recommend? Thanx.
    I have the Cyclo-core and Cyclo-zen training videos. They include on and off bike exercises. I used them last winter and thought the off bike exercises would kill me They're a little more expensive than some of the training videos but I found them worth it. I wanted something that wasn't all on bike exercises as I have a tough time sitting on the trainer for a long period of time.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Farandaway,

I don't think Jet Travis and CCCorlew were totally joking. Anything that (within reason) works to increase your heartrate and oxygen consumption with periods of recovery will do a lot of good. At night we sometimes run streetlamp to streetlamp, recover to the next one and then sprint between the next ones. It is arbitrary, but if you know your heart rate numbers and have done it enough to know if you are recovered, it is a great way to build speed as well as pass the time on winter nights.

Since I dislike indoor riding anyway, I try to have shorter higher quality trainer workouts as opposed to doing LSD on the the trainer. I like watching the 2006 Giro when Salvadili won the maglia rosa. I sprint when the leaders do and get out of the saddle on the climbs. Again arbitrary, but fun. Plus, although I've never crossed the finish line in first place, I've never been dropped by the peleton, either! I'm always right with the leaders at the end of even the most brutal mountain finishes!

Again, you asked what we do. This is what some of us do.

Tyson

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coach Troy Jacobson has a large sadomasochistic following. He puts out about 20-30 training tapes that cover the spectrum from exhausting to humiliating to lethal. I did the "Hitting the Red Zone" or whatever on Sunday and I'm still sore. I'm giving myself "Mental Toughness" for Christmas.

In this month's Bicycling Carmichael published a one hour trining work-out. I was going to give it a try this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an athletic membership at my university and use the bikes, cross-trainers and Nautilus machines. I listen to Car Talk podcasts and watch the girls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with my daughter to a spinning class and, yes, watching the girls got my HR up. Otherwise, Coach Troy does it for me-- for other reasons. I do steady cadence while watching movies when Troy is eating babies whatever he does when not tormenting me....mentally can't go much over 2 hours before I begin to loathe the inside of my garage.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonB View Post
    Farandaway,

I don't think Jet Travis and CCCorlew were totally joking.

I wasn't joking. You might amazed at how many long commercial breaks there are during sports events--especially NFL football. Just try it.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I record NFL on my DVR, then start watching the game 1 1/4 hours later. I usually catch up and watch live at the end of the game. It has rejuvenated my interest in NFL because I couldn't stand the extent of interruptions previously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend not to use training videos, because they get to be old and tiresome with remarkable speed. (Translation: By the time I've seen it for the fourth time, it's two times too many.) My approach on the trainer is to mix it up with each session. I'll usually watch something on TV, and build in different goals for the day. One day I may do sprints during the commercials. On another day, I'll spin in my lowest gear until the first commercial, and drop to each higher gear for two minutes at a time, then back to the spin mode until the next commercial. It's the variety that keeps me sane when on the trainer. Plus I don't follow rules or listen to orders from others too well. Hence, a spinning class annoys me to no end.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.