Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-05-07, 02:21 PM   #1
defjack

Bikes: Cruzbike Silvio 1.0 Silvio 2.1
Handlebars?

I will be converting a a small Cannondale mt bike into a comfort bike and need some advice on the bars. Have 3 choices cruiser,touring or 11inch or so ape hangers.I get a lot of wrist pain with a mt bike so need a really relaxed fit. Any ideas? Jack
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 03:48 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Soi what bars are fitted now-a pic would help but we all know what bars are like. 6 years ago I went from straight bars to risers- Not a great deal of rise or sweep but they did help me on bike control and comfort.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 03:57 PM   #3
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I'm using $15 3" riser bars on my Trek hybrid to great success. Sweep of about 9-10 degrees.

Also switched to thick, soft gel grips.

These were to address thumb pain. They took weight/pressure off of my thumb and gave it a softer area of contact. Wrist problems might need a different approach - depending upon the nature of the wrist problem.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 04:26 PM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
It depends on how your bike fits now and how you want it to fit. Find a bar and stem combination that puts your hands where you want them to be.

How high are your bars relative to your saddle now? Do they have any rise at all or are they flat? A picture would help.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 07:25 PM   #5
divingbiker
red bikes rule!

Bikes:
Sorry, I don't know exactly what you mean by the types of bars you mentioned, but I'll tell you what worked for me. I was having terrible wrist pain on my old hybrid commuting bike that had normal riser bars, so when I got my new commuting bike I had albatross bars put on it. The bars, combined with bar end shifters did the trick--no more pain! (Twist grips were really hurting my wrist, and the thumb shifters on my mtb weren't much better.)
divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 07:35 PM   #6
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
I use drop bars on my road bikes and straight bars with climbing extensions on my mountain bike. What I hate about most other types of bars is the lack of variety in hand positions. In particular, I want one or more positions with the forearm in a neutral "handshake" axial rotation, as I obtain on the extensions on the mountain bars and on the drops and brake hoods of my road bikes. Being stuck in one position gives me tingles and fatigue.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:48 PM   #7
defjack

Bikes: Cruzbike Silvio 1.0 Silvio 2.1
Thanks for the replies. Its a bare frame right now with a Cannondale headshock and a 11/2 in stem. I cant ride a std mt bike without wrist pain but can ride my Cruzbike Silvio for 50 miles and no pain. I set up one bike with 4in riser bar and a 4in stem extender worked ok but still had some wrist pain. Think I will go with something like the albatross bars.
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 09:59 PM   #8
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Well, nothing is going to relieve the stress on your hands and wrists like a recumbent. Something that you've already found out with your Cruzbike.

Albatross bars may work for you, but I've read reports that they caused wrist pain in others. Too much sweep for some. Others love them.

I would like to try them out for a while. I rode a bike with them for about 5 minutes once, not enough time to adapt to them.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 12-05-07 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 10:28 PM   #9
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Or you could just mount Tom B's head on the front of your bike. Those horns would have plenty of possible hand positions.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 10:51 PM   #10
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Now that you mention it, those horns look a bit too much like drop bars.
Old 12-06-07, 05:16 AM   #11
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
Novara Safari
mandovoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 09:22 AM   #12
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but have you considered aero-bars? I put some Syntace C-2's on my single speed and my upper body weight is supported by my lower arms (just below the elbow, resting on large pads) and my wrists carry no weight at all.

With a multi-speed bike, you could easily mount bar-end shifters on the ends of the aero-bars (you know, like the Tri-Athletes and Time-Trialists do). Of course, in a "comfort bike" environment, the aero-bars would be mounted much higher than in a competition environment. You may not even be any more "aero" but your wrists will sure be happier!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 09:46 AM   #13
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Personally, I'd go with the touring bars, keeping in mind that stem height in relationship to seat height will have a big impact. I've always found touring bars to be the most versatile and comfort dependent on how high the stem allowed the bars to be.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 04:31 PM   #14
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Trekking bars