Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh.. nothing like a late Autumn night

It's been a while -just about a year, in fact- since it got dark before I had time to get home from work, change and get out on the road. And I didn't have my LeMond this time last year.

Now, granted, y'all will tell me I know nothing about cold. It's all relative but, OK, I'll give you that.
    There's something so nice about a late Autumn ride. The air is so cool and crisp. An, even though I know the same people are out on the road as they are during the rest of the year, there's just a splendid feeling of isolation and aloneness... calm, I guess. It's peaceful. Just me and my thoughts. I love it.

Sounds like a Hallmark moment, doesn't it?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    Sounds like a Hallmark moment, doesn't it?
    A Hallmark bike moment, yeah.

That's what I love about cycling -- it can be both social and singular, depending on your mood and who's around when you want company.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd forgotten that it is still officially Autumn. Hard to think of it that way when there are several inches of snow on the ground, the temp is under 10 degrees, and the lakes are frozen over.

I do love riding when the temps are in the low 50s, which is in October here.

I took a 4-day weekend and went riding in October this year. Thinking about making it a week next year, or at least two 4-day weekends.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the world needs is a good bike with a built in fireplace to ride in the fall. That would be heaven.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    What the world needs is a good bike with a built in fireplace to ride in the fall. That would be heaven.

Oh NO !!!! That would start a discusion over what color flames are the warmest, coziest, fastest.....

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Isn't it amazing how much warmer the upper 40's feel in the spring than in the fall?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Isn't it amazing how much warmer the upper 40's feel in the spring than in the fall?
    It's that big blob of yellow that appears in the sky in the spring that has that effect- Winds are only the March winds that herald better to come- April Showers are not the continual rain we are currently having and the balmy days of MAY give us a foresight of a glorious summer.

And as to late Autumn- First official day of winter was last week over here so what are you talking about? Since then we have had showers merging together- Continuous rain and more rain. And as to the wind- It's coming from the west across the pond But I suppose that is better than coming from the East across Siberia and the joys that that can bring.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    It's that big blob of yellow that appears in the sky in the spring that has that effect- Winds are only the March winds that herald better to come- April Showers are not the continual rain we are currently having and the balmy days of MAY give us a foresight of a glorious summer.

And as to late Autumn- First official day of winter was last week over here so what are you talking about? Since then we have had showers merging together- Continuous rain and more rain. And as to the wind- It's coming from the west across the pond But I suppose that is better than coming from the East across Siberia and the joys that that can bring.
    What? The mother country follows a different solstice? How does that work?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Druids!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to start the seasons on the solstices. In fact it makes more sense to me to start them with the solstices and equinoxes in the middle of the season. As it is, the longest day of the year is the first day of summer and the shortest day of the year is the first day of winter. Makes no sense to me. It is still autumn on the 2nd shortest day of the year, why? And the last month of winter has significantly longer days than the last month of autumn.

In fact, under the present system the longest day of autumn is only a minute or so longer than the longest day of winter.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in central North Carolina. PLease send us all the excess snow, rain, sleet or ice you have. We can use all you can spare.
    Thank You,
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    It's been a while -just about a year, in fact- since it got dark before I had time to get home from work, change and get out on the road. And I didn't have my LeMond this time last year.
    Yes I know what you mean.I went out yesterday eveing and it was only 64 f .So nice to ware long pants with out sweating.
    Wink