Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Lighter bike.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighter bike.

This is what I posted on Tyres flats= Flats
    #
    I have to admit that I am getting to be a weight weenie so the tyres for Boreas are fairly lighweight at 190 grammes and When I got the new tubes- I went for lightweight Butyl. Trying to lose the odd 1/2 oz so I can truly say I have a 15lb bike. Problem is that I went back to the Flite Max gel saddle for comfort and reckon I have put it back on again plus a bit more. I'll have to weigh the bike again to see if I have lost anything over the heavyweight 230 gramme tyres and standard butyl tubes I had on before.

And I have just gone out and weighed the bike less pedals. When I got it- it weighed 15lbs and 1/2 oz on my scales. Changed a couple of items and Some were lighter- namely tyres and Tubes- But for comfort- I have reverted to my Flite Max gel Flow saddle from The Fizic Aliante. The Fizic has been causing a problem after about 60 miles and it does not have a cutaway on the top. Up to 50 and no problem at all But after that and I have to do a lot of out of the saddle. The Flite is a well proved comfortable saddle so has to go back on.

I am afraid that the bike has been having too many pies- It now weighs in at 15lbs and 2 oz. Perhaps if I polish it to get rid of the grime and clean the chain to get rid of the dirt on it- It might come down a bit but the bike is going on a diet. 2 oz to lose so a couple of long rides to get rid of the excess "Fat" on the new tyres? Start looking at Carbon Fibre bottle cage?---Ah- Think I have found it- Bottle cage was not on when I weighed it first time.

OK- Took the cage off and I now have a 15lb bike. Looks as though I have achieved my aim. Time now to put the pedals,cage, computer and wedge back on. Might just aswell swop the pump over the to the heavy Topeak as that one can get to 120psi and works. And I might even start carrying a toolpack for minor repairs for those longer rides. So my "Heavyweight " bike with all the fittings back on is only a lighweight in Disguise. Just like the rider

Why did I bother.
    Last edited by stapfam; 12-06-07 at 11:20 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    This is what I posted on Tyres flats= Flats
    #
    I have to admit that I am getting to be a weight weenie so the tyres for Boreas are fairly lighweight at 190 grammes and When I got the new tubes- I went for lightweight Butyl. Trying to lose the odd 1/2 oz so I can truly say I have a 15lb bike. Problem is that I went back to the Flite Max gel saddle for comfort and reckon I have put it back on again plus a bit more. I'll have to weigh the bike again to see if I have lost anything over the heavyweight 230 gramme tyres and standard butyl tubes I had on before.

And I have just gone out and weighed the bike less pedals. When I got it- it weighed 15lbs and 1/2 oz on my scales. Changed a couple of items and Some were lighter- namely tyres and Tubes- But for comfort- I have reverted to my Flite Max gel Flow saddle from The Fizic Aliante. The Fizic has been causing a problem after about 60 miles and it does not have a cutaway on the top. Up to 50 and no problem at all But after that and I have to do a lot of out of the saddle. The Flite is a well proved comfortable saddle so has to go back on.

I am afraid that the bike has been having too many pies- It now weighs in at 15lbs and 2 oz. Perhaps if I polish it to get rid of the grime and clean the chain to get rid of the dirt on it- It might come down a bit but the bike is going on a diet. 2 oz to lose so a couple of long rides to get rid of the excess "Fat" on the new tyres? Start looking at Carbon Fibre bottle cage?---Ah- Think I have found it- Bottle cage was not on when I weighed it first time.
    Have you made allowances for the season. The air in the tyres is colder a presumably more dense and therefor heavier!!!!!!!

I work with engineers and they have inducted me into the society of "how to explain everything".

I do however defer to WL on matters of !@#$.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Take off the water cage
    2. Skip lunch
    3. Stop using heavy air in the tires
    4. Recalibrate the scales
    5. Lie about it ("Yep, 14.99 pounds!")
    6. Ride it instead of weigh it
    7. Take off all bar tape and the little nuts on the tube stems
    8. Remove all oil
    9. Get those 180 gram tires that pop every few miles
    10. Move to the moon
    11. worry only about total ride/rider weight and work on that. Never weigh the bike alone, only do it with you on it.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Why did I bother.
    Excellent question. I don't have a clue.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    1. worry only about total ride/rider weight and work on that. Never weigh the bike alone, only do it with you on it.
    I've found losing weight on the rider is the best overall improvement
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I've found losing weight on the rider is the best overall improvement
    Tried that and at 147lbs- now find it hard to lose any more.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan