Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passed yearly physical with credos to cycling

The doctor and nurse complemented me on my good blood pressure and 57 pulse rate [still elevated from a cold]. The nurse, in particular, liked my EKG which looked like a test pattern it was so uniform. I expect the cholesterol to come out within the lower range with a good LDL/HDL ratio.
    The doctor noted my weight loss and benefits from cycling. Next year's goal is another 15 lbs loss.

I'd say cycling isn't a bad hobby to pick up.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    The doctor and nurse complemented me on my good blood pressure and 57 pulse rate [still elevated from a cold]. The nurse, in particular, liked my EKG which looked like a test pattern it was so uniform. I expect the cholesterol to come out within the lower range with a good LDL/HDL ratio.
    The doctor noted my weight loss and benefits from cycling. Next year's goal is another 15 lbs loss.

Isn't it great to have a good checkup? My doctor tells me if all his patients my age were as healthy as me he would be out of business Like you I can blame it on cycling.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the good results.

Just flew through mine last month also. Doc was pleasantly suprised he could find
    nothing wrong. Cholesterol up just a tad (126) great ratio though, guess the eggs,
    cheesburgers and beer aren't so bad after all.

Just have to breeze through the colonoscopy after the Holidays (pardon the
    pun please).

By the way, none of the Healthcare complexes in my neighborhood have bike racks.
    Must be they only want non-healthy clients ?!?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post

Great job!
    I have been very much in to fitness for almost 30 years now (off and on prior). I just recently, mid-September, took up biking as I have a herniated disc in my lower back. This means power walking and light jogging is out, as is rowing. So, Doc said biking, as long as I am upright is, or should be, just fine.

So, I went out and bought a comfort bike, Raleigh Venture 4.0. I absolutely love biking, and always did, but my concern is that biking, while providing a multitude of benefits, does virtually nothing for bone density as it is not a weight bearing exercise. I'll deal with that, of course, but is still a concern.

Meanwhile, like you I am burning up the calories and maintaining a nice and low blood pressure and resting heart rate. Biking is a great hobby to pick up!

Best regards
    Barry,68,New Jersey
    2012 Trek 7.4FX - Exercise for life

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this sport, and I owe much of my current state of robust health to it.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flan48 View Post
    Great job!
    I have been very much in to fitness for almost 30 years now (off and on prior). I just recently, mid-September, took up biking as I have a herniated disc in my lower back. This means power walking and light jogging is out, as is rowing. So, Doc said biking, as long as I am upright is, or should be, just fine.

So, I went out and bought a comfort bike, Raleigh Venture 4.0. I absolutely love biking, and always did, but my concern is that biking, while providing a multitude of benefits, does virtually nothing for bone density as it is not a weight bearing exercise. I'll deal with that, of course, but is still a concern.

Meanwhile, like you I am burning up the calories and maintaining a nice and low blood pressure and resting heart rate. Biking is a great hobby to pick up!

Best regards
    AS an addendum, I have even been biking in the recent cold weather we have been experiencing. It's been no problem, other than going up hills with the wind blowing
    Barry,68,New Jersey
    2012 Trek 7.4FX - Exercise for life

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flan48 View Post
    AS an addendum, I have even been biking in the recent cold weather we have been experiencing. It's been no problem, other than going up hills with the wind blowing
    I find winter biking to be great exercise, though a bit tedious with the extra gear to wear/store/dry. I pushed through the ice/snow (4 miles of unplowed MUP & 4,5 of road) on my MTB yesterday. It was exhausting enough for me to head to bed 2 hours early.

I had planned my annual birthday physical but the appointment got messed up. Instead I did a 41 mile (10 miles short of birthday goal) round trip to get a haircut and a deep cleaning at the dentist. Both the barber and the dentist were very amenable to parking the bike indoors.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I love this sport, and I owe much of my current state of robust health to it.
    +1000. Me, too.

Congrats, Robtown! Way to go!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.