Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-06-07, 07:01 PM   #1
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
Passed yearly physical with credos to cycling

The doctor and nurse complemented me on my good blood pressure and 57 pulse rate [still elevated from a cold]. The nurse, in particular, liked my EKG which looked like a test pattern it was so uniform. I expect the cholesterol to come out within the lower range with a good LDL/HDL ratio.
The doctor noted my weight loss and benefits from cycling. Next year's goal is another 15 lbs loss.

I'd say cycling isn't a bad hobby to pick up.
Old 12-06-07, 07:40 PM   #2
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtown View Post
The doctor and nurse complemented me on my good blood pressure and 57 pulse rate [still elevated from a cold]. The nurse, in particular, liked my EKG which looked like a test pattern it was so uniform. I expect the cholesterol to come out within the lower range with a good LDL/HDL ratio.
The doctor noted my weight loss and benefits from cycling. Next year's goal is another 15 lbs loss.

Isn't it great to have a good checkup? My doctor tells me if all his patients my age were as healthy as me he would be out of business Like you I can blame it on cycling.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 12:50 AM   #3
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Congrats on the good results.

Just flew through mine last month also. Doc was pleasantly suprised he could find
nothing wrong. Cholesterol up just a tad (126) great ratio though, guess the eggs,
cheesburgers and beer aren't so bad after all.

Just have to breeze through the colonoscopy after the Holidays (pardon the
pun please).

By the way, none of the Healthcare complexes in my neighborhood have bike racks.
Must be they only want non-healthy clients ?!?!?!
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 12:02 PM   #4
flan48

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtown View Post

Great job!
I have been very much in to fitness for almost 30 years now (off and on prior). I just recently, mid-September, took up biking as I have a herniated disc in my lower back. This means power walking and light jogging is out, as is rowing. So, Doc said biking, as long as I am upright is, or should be, just fine.

So, I went out and bought a comfort bike, Raleigh Venture 4.0. I absolutely love biking, and always did, but my concern is that biking, while providing a multitude of benefits, does virtually nothing for bone density as it is not a weight bearing exercise. I'll deal with that, of course, but is still a concern.

Meanwhile, like you I am burning up the calories and maintaining a nice and low blood pressure and resting heart rate. Biking is a great hobby to pick up!

Best regards
flan48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 12:04 PM   #5
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
I love this sport, and I owe much of my current state of robust health to it.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 12:13 PM   #6
flan48

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flan48 View Post
Great job!
I have been very much in to fitness for almost 30 years now (off and on prior). I just recently, mid-September, took up biking as I have a herniated disc in my lower back. This means power walking and light jogging is out, as is rowing. So, Doc said biking, as long as I am upright is, or should be, just fine.

So, I went out and bought a comfort bike, Raleigh Venture 4.0. I absolutely love biking, and always did, but my concern is that biking, while providing a multitude of benefits, does virtually nothing for bone density as it is not a weight bearing exercise. I'll deal with that, of course, but is still a concern.

Meanwhile, like you I am burning up the calories and maintaining a nice and low blood pressure and resting heart rate. Biking is a great hobby to pick up!

Best regards
AS an addendum, I have even been biking in the recent cold weather we have been experiencing. It's been no problem, other than going up hills with the wind blowing
flan48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 12:20 PM   #7
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
Quote:
Originally Posted by flan48 View Post
AS an addendum, I have even been biking in the recent cold weather we have been experiencing. It's been no problem, other than going up hills with the wind blowing
I find winter biking to be great exercise, though a bit tedious with the extra gear to wear/store/dry. I pushed through the ice/snow (4 miles of unplowed MUP & 4,5 of road) on my MTB yesterday. It was exhausting enough for me to head to bed 2 hours early.

I had planned my annual birthday physical but the appointment got messed up. Instead I did a 41 mile (10 miles short of birthday goal) round trip to get a haircut and a deep cleaning at the dentist. Both the barber and the dentist were very amenable to parking the bike indoors.
Old 12-07-07, 12:34 PM   #8
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
I love this sport, and I owe much of my current state of robust health to it.
+1000. Me, too.

Congrats, Robtown! Way to go!
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 03:52 PM   #9
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Wonderful
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote