Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling DVD's for a Nonconformist 50+er

"Spinervals" are not my cup o' tea. I realize they are the benchmark in training videos but from the adverts I've seen they are too in your face for me. My indoor cycling workouts are pretty much set after all these years, I really don't want someone telling me what to do. I already know what to do.

Yes, of course, they'll make me stronger - faster - better looking - enhance my sex life - yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm aware of that and I still don't care.

All I want is something cycling related to break the dreaded boredom that we all know so well while cycling indoors. Rented movies and vanilla TV programing just ain't cutting it lately.

Is anyone familiar with bike-o-vision? http://www.bike-o-vision.com/id16.html

I need something soon and these DVD's seem to be more my style. Comments?

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The samples seemed pretty nice, but speaking for myself, I'd rather watch an old Cary Grant movie or listen to a book. I've got a bunch of great old movies TIVO'd from the TCM network, and I also download and listen to books via audible.com. If you've got a gym nearby that offers spin classes, you might want to check those out. Better yet, let's just go to New Zealand for the winter.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno. I wonder if you could accomplish the same effect by watching the Travel channel.

Anyway, I was shocked at one of the samples. Riding along in NoCal and what do you see but a bunch of methane producing saturated fat containing karma squelching cows. I thought those were illegal in NoCal. If not, I'm sure they will be soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Better yet, let's just go to New Zealand for the winter.
    Or...we could go to Australia and pay Richard (europa) a lengthly visit. He seems like a fine bloke and I'll bet he has a lot of Aussie beer in the 'fridge. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a house full of 50+ers hanging around all summer drinking his beer and riding his bikes while he's at work.
    Last edited by Louis; 12-07-07 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    I dunno. I wonder if you could accomplish the same effect by watching the Travel channel.

Anyway, I was shocked at one of the samples. Riding along in NoCal and what do you see but a bunch of methane producing saturated fat containing karma squelching cows. I thought those were illegal in NoCal. If not, I'm sure they will be soon.
    Realistic maybe but not something I'm unfamiliar with.

With this dial-up system, I didn't have time to wait for a sample video to load. Do they show any bikes and riders or just scenery passing by? I need to see some bikes and riders to get the "feel".

Thanks for the input, guys.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Realistic maybe but not something I'm unfamiliar with.

With this dial-up system, I didn't have time to wait for a sample video to load. Do they show any bikes and riders or just scenery passing by? I need to see some bikes and riders to get the "feel".

Thanks for the input, guys.
    I didn't pass one cyclist in the videos I watched. But I never pass cyclist in real-life either

They were just scenery and music. I would prefer this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJErrp4eOw
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this in another related thread; but I happen to like the extreme MTB videos like the Kranked and New World Disorder series - - great soundtracks and mind-boggling riding. Great inspiration.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or...we could go to Australia and pay Richard (europa) a lengthly visit. He seems like a fine bloke and I'll bet he has a lot of Aussie beer in the 'fridge. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a house full of 50+ers hanging around all summer drinking his beer and riding his bikes while he's at work.

Now you're talkin'!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered 4-pack #2 as a stocking stuffer for my wife. I swear I won't use them.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a few similar videos in the past. They're OK; they at least let you see some scenery going by as you pedal. But it's pretty obvious it's just a camera mounted on a car fender - speed doesn't vary and the camera doesn't turn to watch the road on curves. Also, just about the time you're getting into the scene, it changes. Still, I'd rate it better than pedaling to the latest installment of "Flip this House."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills View Post
    I just ordered 4-pack #2 as a stocking stuffer for my wife. I swear I won't use them.
    Brilliant! I think I'm gonna get my wife some bike stuff and she doesn't even ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I didn't pass one cyclist in the videos I watched. But I never pass cyclist in real-life either

They were just scenery and music. I would prefer this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJErrp4eOw
    Huh? You passed me like bat outta hell on that steep uphill in Cleveland last summer.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a true story - I have a good friend who owns a spin bike. It's out in the garage. He has it set up with a large TV to watch. I asked if he did Spinervals or something else and he put in the tape he always watches... River Dance with Michael Flatley! The same tape 4 times a week for years.

Yes, he is an engineer...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh? You passed me like bat outta hell on that steep uphill in Cleveland last summer.

There are steep uphills in Cleveland?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    Yes, he is an engineer...

Yep. That 'splains a lot.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    There are steep uphills in Cleveland?
    This one was like a drop off that went down to a pier. It was the only way down and the only way back up. Aside from that, Cleveland isn't too hilly. I can't remember if our group was on the actual route or if we were lost. (We did get lost occasionally ).