Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-06-07, 11:39 PM   #1
Louis

Bikes:
Cycling DVD's for a Nonconformist 50+er

"Spinervals" are not my cup o' tea. I realize they are the benchmark in training videos but from the adverts I've seen they are too in your face for me. My indoor cycling workouts are pretty much set after all these years, I really don't want someone telling me what to do. I already know what to do.

Yes, of course, they'll make me stronger - faster - better looking - enhance my sex life - yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm aware of that and I still don't care.

All I want is something cycling related to break the dreaded boredom that we all know so well while cycling indoors. Rented movies and vanilla TV programing just ain't cutting it lately.

Is anyone familiar with bike-o-vision? http://www.bike-o-vision.com/id16.html

I need something soon and these DVD's seem to be more my style. Comments?
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 04:41 AM   #2
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
The samples seemed pretty nice, but speaking for myself, I'd rather watch an old Cary Grant movie or listen to a book. I've got a bunch of great old movies TIVO'd from the TCM network, and I also download and listen to books via audible.com. If you've got a gym nearby that offers spin classes, you might want to check those out. Better yet, let's just go to New Zealand for the winter.
Old 12-07-07, 06:07 AM   #3
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
I dunno. I wonder if you could accomplish the same effect by watching the Travel channel.

Anyway, I was shocked at one of the samples. Riding along in NoCal and what do you see but a bunch of methane producing saturated fat containing karma squelching cows. I thought those were illegal in NoCal. If not, I'm sure they will be soon.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 09:24 AM   #4
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
Better yet, let's just go to New Zealand for the winter.
Or...we could go to Australia and pay Richard (europa) a lengthly visit. He seems like a fine bloke and I'll bet he has a lot of Aussie beer in the 'fridge. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a house full of 50+ers hanging around all summer drinking his beer and riding his bikes while he's at work.

Last edited by Louis; 12-07-07 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-07-07, 09:33 AM   #5
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
I dunno. I wonder if you could accomplish the same effect by watching the Travel channel.

Anyway, I was shocked at one of the samples. Riding along in NoCal and what do you see but a bunch of methane producing saturated fat containing karma squelching cows. I thought those were illegal in NoCal. If not, I'm sure they will be soon.
Realistic maybe but not something I'm unfamiliar with.

With this dial-up system, I didn't have time to wait for a sample video to load. Do they show any bikes and riders or just scenery passing by? I need to see some bikes and riders to get the "feel".

Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 12-07-07, 10:03 AM   #6
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Realistic maybe but not something I'm unfamiliar with.

With this dial-up system, I didn't have time to wait for a sample video to load. Do they show any bikes and riders or just scenery passing by? I need to see some bikes and riders to get the "feel".

Thanks for the input, guys.
I didn't pass one cyclist in the videos I watched. But I never pass cyclist in real-life either

They were just scenery and music. I would prefer this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJErrp4eOw

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 10:54 AM   #7
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: are awesome.
I posted this in another related thread; but I happen to like the extreme MTB videos like the Kranked and New World Disorder series - - great soundtracks and mind-boggling riding. Great inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 11:10 AM   #8
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quote:
Or...we could go to Australia and pay Richard (europa) a lengthly visit. He seems like a fine bloke and I'll bet he has a lot of Aussie beer in the 'fridge. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a house full of 50+ers hanging around all summer drinking his beer and riding his bikes while he's at work.

Now you're talkin'!
Old 12-07-07, 11:31 AM   #9
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
I just ordered 4-pack #2 as a stocking stuffer for my wife. I swear I won't use them.
HopedaleHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 11:44 AM   #10
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
I've used a few similar videos in the past. They're OK; they at least let you see some scenery going by as you pedal. But it's pretty obvious it's just a camera mounted on a car fender - speed doesn't vary and the camera doesn't turn to watch the road on curves. Also, just about the time you're getting into the scene, it changes. Still, I'd rate it better than pedaling to the latest installment of "Flip this House."
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 02:12 PM   #11
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills View Post
I just ordered 4-pack #2 as a stocking stuffer for my wife. I swear I won't use them.
Brilliant! I think I'm gonna get my wife some bike stuff and she doesn't even ride.
Old 12-07-07, 02:21 PM   #12
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
I didn't pass one cyclist in the videos I watched. But I never pass cyclist in real-life either

They were just scenery and music. I would prefer this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJErrp4eOw
Huh? You passed me like bat outta hell on that steep uphill in Cleveland last summer.
Old 12-07-07, 02:44 PM   #13
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
This is a true story - I have a good friend who owns a spin bike. It's out in the garage. He has it set up with a large TV to watch. I asked if he did Spinervals or something else and he put in the tape he always watches... River Dance with Michael Flatley! The same tape 4 times a week for years.

Yes, he is an engineer...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 02:49 PM   #14
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Quote:
Huh? You passed me like bat outta hell on that steep uphill in Cleveland last summer.

There are steep uphills in Cleveland?
Old 12-07-07, 03:25 PM   #15
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
Yes, he is an engineer...

Yep. That 'splains a lot.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 03:35 PM   #16
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
There are steep uphills in Cleveland?
This one was like a drop off that went down to a pier. It was the only way down and the only way back up. Aside from that, Cleveland isn't too hilly. I can't remember if our group was on the actual route or if we were lost. (We did get lost occasionally ).