Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter riding skin protection

I noticed on yesterday's ride it started again. Every winter (or late fall) there comes a point where my face and lips get so dried out and wind burned that the skin splits on my lips and my face feels like someone went over it with rough sandpaper. I've tried using several different tube type lip moisturizers/protectors and skin lotion, but it seems not to work. When I cover my face while riding, it seems to help, but doesn't eliminate the problem completely. Have any of you found things that work. I'd be real interested. This morning my face is so raw it hurts just to touch it, and once again my lips are cracked and bleeding.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing I've found for dry skin is Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Cream--goes on like a thick lotion and is absorbed quickly, and because it has petroleum jelly, should protect well (haven't tried it riding yet-might this weekend). It absorbs quickly, doesn't stay greasy. I've been using it just because my skin gets so dry in winter that occasionally it will become flaky.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm over 50. My skin is so shot ther's really no point in trying to save it.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

BFD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Then again, yea, I'm not the only one!!
    Winter or summer, I've been using zinc oxide for double duty skin protection (sun & wind). Brand doesn't matter. 45 SPF. Then sometimes I put plain Vasline over that for more wind pro.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skin no problem but the lips do suffer. Just keep them moist with a lip balm and I am OK.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan