Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Calories burnt by sitting around.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 01:17 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Just seen it on TV and a male and a female- neither of whom are overweight greatly but both have sedentary jobs took part in a recorded exercise. They wore a pair of pants with sensors in that were able to be downloaded to a computer. One was a Television presenter and the other a Cab driver. They were delighted in that they managed to burn off around 750 calories in 24 hours by not doing any exercise. Don't know about the rest of you but that is only a couple of hours gentle riding for me.

So all you have to do now is sit around in the daytime and you will lose weight!!!

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 01-15-08 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-15-08, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So all you have to do now is sit around in the daytime and you will lose weight!!!
That is exactly what I'm doing. Weather is too cold and wet for me, has been and forecast just says more is coming. Just completed a batch of turkey chili which is filling and low in calories. Hopefully the sit around weight loss will continue.
Old 01-15-08, 01:58 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Just seen it on TV and a male and a female- neither of whom are overweight greatly but both have sedentary jobs took part in a recorded exercise. The wore a pair of pants with sensors in that were able to be downloaded to a computer. One was a Television presenter and the other a Cab driver. They were delighted in that they managed to burn off around 750 calories in 24 hours by not doing any exercise. Don't know about the rest of you but that is only a couple of hours gentle riding for me.

As long as you don't sit around and eat.
Old 01-15-08, 02:00 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Imagine how many calories the 50+ forum burns in a day!!!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-15-08, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's hard to tell exactly what the story was about, but everyone has a basal metabolic rate, and an average person will burn around 2000 calories a day just by breathing. One thing I've never had clear is whether, when you read about how many calories are expended in exercising, it's that number over the basal rate, or that number including the basal rate.
Old 01-15-08, 07:30 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see, today I drove to the airport and sat for 90 minutes waiting for my flight. The flight took 2 1/2 hours. I got to my destination early and sat another 2 hours. At my meeting I sat 3 hours.

I hope there's a way to say I burned some calories sitting. What a boring day. My meeting did get over early enough I took a nice long walk. But now here I'm stuck in a strange city, alone and guess I'll go up to my room and sit... tomorrow, the flight home. It starts over...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-15-08, 09:43 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope there's a way to say I burned some calories sitting. What a boring day. My meeting did get over early enough I took a nice long walk. But now here I'm stuck in a strange city, alone and guess I'll go up to my room and sit... tomorrow, the flight home. It starts over...
I had to travel this week too. For whatever reason airline travel leaves me tired. I look forward to the Saturday club ride after a week on the road!
Old 01-15-08, 09:50 PM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I burned 1400 Kj in less than 2 hours on the bike the other day. 750 Cal in 24 hours is nothing to be proud of. Besides, we burn that and more recovering from a good ride. Most of the Western World has no idea of what it takes to burn Cals. There certainly seems to me some great misconceptions.