Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-07-07, 12:56 PM   #1
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)
Bought a folding bike - Dahon Speed D7

I work on a large industrial site, and often have to go between building. Sometimes multiple times per day. It can take 10-15 minutes of walking, or 3-5 minutes of driving to cover the distance. I hate the idea of driving, but sometimes cannot spare the time required to do the walk. And then there are the lunchtime walks that I enjoy, yet wish I were biking.

So in a quest to ride more when the weather gets better, I just took delivery of a folder. I'll keep it in my car parked within a minute or so of my office, and am looking to secure an indoor spot in the lobby of one of the distant buildings (for theft security). A few people know my plan, and I am hoping to start a trend. A small 'green' move, plus better heath and enjoyment for me.

Last edited by Fibber; 12-07-07 at 03:44 PM.
Fibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 01:17 PM   #2
tedshuck

Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB
There are quite a few people in my office who bring their bikes to work and go for recreational rides at lunchtime. I often bring my road bike and leave it in the back of my car. I'll change clothes, go for a ride, and put it back in my car before I go back to my office. Some keep their bikes in their offices. I do when I ride my bike to work in the summer.

Ted
tedshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 02:16 PM   #3
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger
Good application for a D7. They fold up very nicely, too.
Foldable Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 02:19 PM   #4
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Sounds like a good plan to me. I've read good things about the Dahons.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 02:23 PM   #5
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
When I was with the press I sometime did stories at Dow Chem (or was it DuPont?) down the road. They had a bunch of bikes all over so anyone could hop on one and get across the plant. Always seemed pretty cool to me.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 02:34 PM   #6
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Pics?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 08:34 PM   #7
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)
I posted my experiences with the new bike over in the Folding forum, titled "What a Blast". I won't repeat the whole thread, but a nice break in winter weather this past week afforded me the opportunity for a 30-40 minute lunchtime ride around the Hudson Valley Research Park on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, and a bonus ride on Saturday at Bear Mountain State Park with my daughter.

Riding at work - what an attitude changer! I smiled for hours thereafter.
Old 01-14-08, 09:32 PM   #8
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
Did it feel different?
Old 01-14-08, 09:55 PM   #9
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Great idea! Working at a university, with a parking spot a mile from my office and meeting sites spread out over several miles, I do something similar with my folder. I think of my car as the mother ship and the bike as the lunar module.
Old 01-14-08, 09:58 PM   #10
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I tried keeping a bike in my car for a while, but the walk to the car and back was an obstacle that discouraged me. Now I keep a $50 beater bike chained in a bike rack 365 days a year. It has been there for 13 months so far with no vandalism or problem of any kind.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 10:24 PM   #11
CrossChain

Bikes:
Took me a minute to picture it........then I got it. An executive on wheels.

This is tongue-in-cheek of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clown bike.jpg (38.6 KB, 5 views)
CrossChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 08:58 PM   #12
Fibber

Quote:
Originally Posted by solveg View Post
Did it feel different?
Sorry, but I don't think I understand your question. Were you referring to biking at work vs. biking with my 5 year old? If so, very different. Both a lot of fun, but in very different ways!