I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with these knee warmers?

Bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Therma Fleece Knee Warmers at REI yesterday. The guy there suggested buying one size smaller than what I would think was right, because they start working their way down your leg as you ride, and the "right" size wouldn't stay up.

So I tried on XL and L, and brought home the L. Well, guess what. It starts riding down my leg! So now I have to go back and exchange for a M I guess. Who woulda thunk?

I hate the idea of going back to REI the very next day. It's not likely that I can simply exchange the knee warmers. I'll be bringing home socks and God knows what else. It's like going to the store for milk, and running up a $75 bill. Sigh!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go to the whine shop and buy a couple of bottles.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

should know better
    My Bikes
    '95 Klein Quantum, all DA'd out; 80's Japanese Summit Comp Pro TR--the dark and wet bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today is the day DG has become a fashion slave...who'da thunk it?

I have no idea how knee warmers would stay in place--suffered with leg warmer creep until I got smart enough to put them under the legs of my bibs. There's nothing to stick knee warmers under! So, I'd say either buy leg warmers or, given the way things are going today with the Deegster, some Assos bib knickers.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never liked either knee or leg warmers. For me they just don't stay in place. I have tried everything - and I mean everything! If it's that cold I wear tights (although knickers would be a good investment - anyone want to buy me some for Christmas?). But it has to be really cold (like less than 40) for me to ride tights.

Now arm warmers another thing. Greatest invention ever!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure you're gonna like this suggestion, but it works!

If you shave your legs, the knee warmers (and leg warmers) stay in place just fine. Don't ask me how it works, but I've done some research (yeah, my own), and it works!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIck I shave my legs... how come that doesn't work for me?

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pam,

I don't know . . . maybe you're legs are just too pretty! I have really ugly legs, so it works for me.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Hi Pam,

I don't know . . . maybe you're legs are just too pretty! I have really ugly legs, so it works for me.

Rick / OCRR
    Nice save, Rick.

My Bikes
    Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garters of course!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    double sided sticky tape. I hear it works wonders for costume malfunctions. Cher says so..

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull 'em up high. And they go UNDER the lycra shorts.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I had 'em under the shorts. Didn't work.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1.

FWIW, leg warmers are some of my least used cycling kit. If it's cold enough for them, it's generally better to just wear tights. Plus, tights keep your "private bits" warm...something leg/knee warmers don't.

The only time I've found leg warmers useful is when on tour in the big mountains. Mountain mornings can be quite cool, and your jersey pockets tend to stay pretty full, due to the need to carry a light jacket and liner gloves in case of afternoon showers. In those limited cases, leg warmers can be helpful to wear for the first hour or two until the sun warms things up (and then you can separate them and stuff them into two pockets of your jersey).

But, if someone was just getting into the sport, I'd advise against getting leg warmers because there's plenty of other gear that gets used a lot more.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT: Rats, a couple of people slipped in after ccorlew before I finished my post....doesn't anybody WORK anymore?

^^^^

1+....UNDER the shorts, up high. They stay up pretty good.

I probably should have gotten a size smaller, as they turned out to be 'leg warmers'...only about a 4-5" gap between the top of the socks and the bottom of the 'warmers'.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pulled those leg warmers up under my shorts literately where they can't go any higher. Do you know how attractive that is? And they still slide down.

And Rick - you are a sweetie. You know what I mean, The last thing my legs are is pretty!

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My PI fleece lined leg warmers stay up with no problems. I wear them often.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet you look like Rick... there is probably something to be said about being slim, with no lumps and bumps. No matter what size you buy, those things are really just tubes made to go over skinny pipes!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under the lycra shorts works fine for my knee warmers. I overlap them several inches. If your shorts fit loosly, it probably wouldn't work. Knee warmers work very well for me when it is too cool for just shorts but not cold enough for tights.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    double sided sticky tape. I hear it works wonders for costume malfunctions. Cher says so..
    She evidently didn't share this with Janet
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    I bet you look like Rick... there is probably something to be said about being slim, with no lumps and bumps. No matter what size you buy, those things are really just tubes made to go over skinny pipes!
    Well for his sake, I honestly hope he doesn't look like Rick@OCRR . Plus, ladies with lumps and bumps (as you say) are far better than skinny ones without them! Just my opinion, of course, YMMV .

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    Thank you for what I think was a compliment, but no, I don't have skinny pipes. I walk around on an old set of linebacker's legs...if you know what I mean.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually took up about an inch or so in the opening of the top of my knee warmers and stitched them together to reduce their size. They just don't make stuff for long skinny legs. Reducing the size helped some but for long rides I haven't found anything that works perfectly. That's why I recently bought another pair of knickers.

My darn tights seemed to have stretched and are sagging.......guess I'm either going to have to get another pair or bring out the suspenders.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wear tights often. I got them out for a ride. They are now so weird and baggy, the chamois won't stay put. Not certain what to do with them. It's not like they are worn out but can't have that chamois deciding to migrate elsewhere!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tights without a chamois over shorts.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use sweat pants and I put bands around my calf so I don't get grease on them. It may be fred but it's warm.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast