Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Political Science

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Political Science

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 08:55 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Romania -- they hate totalitarianism with a passion, and would shoot Ceausescu again if he were to return from the dead. They absolutely love Americans. One church I visited over there sent us $127 after 911, which probably collectively represented a week's wage of the whole congregation.
From an interview of Romanian chess historian Olimpiu Urcan, published at Chessville and in the magazine of the Chess Journalists of America:

"One of the leading American chess historians isn’t an American; in fact, he isn’t even in the Western hemisphere. And his own life is as interesting as those of his chess history writing. Olimpiu G. Urcan was born in Romania in 1977. As a twelve year old he witnessed the overthrow of Ceausescu; in an essay he described the immediate reaction to the capture of the dictator and overthrow of the Communist state. Looking out his window, “at first I thought there were about a thousand white pigeons but soon enough I realized that from my tenth-floor block, all the Communist propaganda books, brochures, magazines, and journals were being thrown up in the sky…” Freedom was literally in the air....

Q. What prompts you to choose Americans and American subjects?

A. As for what drew me to Americans, I believe it has always happened. The United States possesses an immense and incredibly diversified culture, derived from some of the most significant historical experiences of the 19th and 20th century. I am mostly preoccupied on how these unsung heroes, as those I wrote about, entered in contact with this culture, at various local levels, and experienced their stories of success or failure, and not only in chess.

Old 12-08-07, 09:01 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by stapfam
I Did not mention the Americans- but there is a feeling that All americans are Loud- Obese and Loaded here in the UK. I know it isn't wholly true as it is only those from San Diego that are like that- but it is a stypo- typical impression that the English have of Americans.
I had to stop reading Josie Dew's book Travels in a Strange State because she pushed that stereotype. I felt like I was reading Dickens' American Notes in a Eurotrash translation.

Old 12-08-07, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
Immigration has been a plus for this nation since its inception, and it remains a tremendous benefit. The immigrants, legal or otherwise, help our economy and benefit our nation in many ways. I vividly remember my grandmother telling me about growing up speaking German in Iowa and how she and her family assimilated into the U.S. Now, the hispanics cause passing, local problems in some locations, but generally are a tremendous plus for us. The xenophobia promoted by the media and some politicians disgusts me.

Your points on assimilation are very well taken. The only problem....the illegal immigrants ARE NOT assimilating. Rather, we are made to feel guilty if we don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo, signs and advertisements are now in Spanish AND English, and you have to press 1 to hear instructions in what has always been our native language.

Some of my folks were Irish (came over to Boston - 1880's era) , and they assimilated because they dropped the O' from the front of their name and my great grandmother would thump their red head if they didn't learn to speak English without a brouge. And, those folks came into the country "with papers" as it were, and wanted to be part of the American dream. They didn't break the law. We're on a different program these days. Very few are trying to assimilate, but rather want to be catered to in their own language.

If you think its a passing, local problem, then you need to try and order a cheeseburger in the Rio Grande Valley. The RGV, by the way, is one of the fastest growing MSA's in the nation. Still think its a passing problem?

A common language is what binds a country together. A celebration of multi and differentiated ethnicity tears it apart. Look at Canada, which has already had one election to separate. Consider the problems in Ireland, former Yugoslavia, breakup of the USSR, etc.

I'm telling you, this isn't a passing problem.
Old 12-08-07, 09:46 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have no problem adding another language. And I believe amnesty will help the assimilation issue. It's not a majority up here, but I interact with spanish speaking hispanics every day and they are mostly wonderful. It's the people that look like me who mostly act like jerks, taking responsibility for nothing and looking for every opportunity to grab everything.

I'll duck back under now.
Old 12-08-07, 09:51 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Being a statistician, I've looked at some of the studies on illegal aliens. While there are a number of claims by the anti-immigration groups, most of those cite dubious statistics. Of the studies that I've seen which appear to be more credible, the statistics indicate that A) Illegal aliens commit fewer crimes than does the general US public (once you remove all arrests due to their illegal status), and B) they pay more in taxes than what they receive in benefits - by a rather wide margin. And this grows extremely large when one factors in the labor savings by US businesses which use immigrant labor.

The whole topic is a fascinating one on which to study the numbers.

Another fun number is to try to calculate the cost of deporting all of the illegal aliens. The cost would be incredibly high. For example, if the government purchased 1000 buses and then rounded up all of the illegal aliens into detention centers, and if each bus could take 40 people plus some possesions, then each bus would need to make 300 trips to take everyone back. That would take about 2 years to pull off and in the meantime, the cost to feed and house millions of people would be astronomical, if you could even find the facilities to hold them in. For if you emptied the entire state of Utah and used every house & building in the state, it wouldn't be enough to house them.
Try going to an emergency room in this part of the country. It is full of illegal aliens seeking medical attention. Most are there for minor ailments, some serious and of course no medical insurance. Hospitals pass along some of this expense to those that are able to pay and that they are able to collect from. Still many hospitals are faced with closing emergency rooms or bankruptcy because they are unable to collect for services. I can't see how illegals are on the positive side of taxes when most don't pay income tax or property tax. Illegal aliens who take low-paying jobs don't pay enough in taxes, if they pay at all, to reimburse taxpayers the $5,000-plus annually it takes to educate each of their children. It is estimated that 11% of the state inmates are illegal aliens. We spend about $43,000 per inmate per year to house them. Car insurance rates are higher because of the impact of uninsured illegal aliens. Most of the people who come here illegally are good decent folks that want to earn a living. They do break our laws though when they come here illegally. That's not a good way to start a relationship. Employers benefit by having cheap labor and not having to pay taxes and benefits for those workers. The true cost of that cheap labor is paid by the taxpayers. And that cost is mostly paid by the taxpayers in a few states, with California leading the pack.
Old 12-08-07, 09:51 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by pprayers
I think that it is really funny for somebody on the West Coast of the USA that NYC, NY is a foreign country. It's a little ironic. What is so funny to me is here I'm a transplant from Germany and I seem to know more about this country than regular citizens do.
You had to study to become an American. Most of us didn't. :-)

Old 12-08-07, 09:54 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Jet Travis;5772525]
Originally Posted by pprayers
What is so funny to me is here I'm a transplant from Germany and I seem to know more about this country than regular citizens do. Somebody showed me a pic from a satellite showing all of the lighted cities across the country and they were amazed at how many cities I knew just by looking at their position on the picture.
QUOTE]

My wife is from Russia, and her knowledge of American literature, geography and and history is generally significantly better than that of the US-born university students that she teaches (Russian language). She speaks several languages herself, including flawless English. As with you, I would say she "seems to know more about this country than regular citizens do." Most of what she knows of American culture and literature she learned in high school while in Russia.
Old 12-08-07, 10:07 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A few more statistics:

30 million people in the USA can speak Spanish. This makes the USA the 5th largest Spanish-speaking nation in the world This could be as high as 40 million when one includes all illegal aliens.

Roughly only 50% of all 2nd-generation Hispanic Americans can speak Spanish.

6 other languages are spoken by over 1 million US citizens, with Chinese at 2M being the highest. Another 8 languages are spoken by between 500,000 to 1M people.

English is the primary language of 82% of US citizens, this drops a bit, to around 78% when illegal aliens are included.

Approximately 20 million people in the USA cannot speak English fluently.

All of the non-English numbers are growing and are likely to continue to grow.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles publishes documents in 47 languages.

The legally recognized languages of the state of Louisiana are English and French.
Old 12-08-07, 10:18 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ad6mj
The true cost of that cheap labor is paid by the taxpayers. And that cost is mostly paid by the taxpayers in a few states, with California leading the pack.
Actually, all of these costs are taken into account in the national studies.

One of the ironies in the health care costs is that it is because we deem them illegals that they cannot get jobs that provide health insurance. Therefore we force them into the emergency rooms without insurance as a matter of policy. It is either that or their sick and injured children would go untreated.

The counter to the health care costs is that many US businesses are saving money on health insurance because of hiring illegals and these profits are also passed into the economy, just like the heath care costs are.

A lot of large-scale economic models are in play here ... involving multiple countries.

What I find amazing is how much money some of these illegal aliens are able to save, given their low wages. They are much more disciplined in their spending and savings habits than most Americans.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-08-07, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should duck. In Mexico several weeks ago and not much has changed since we were there in 1976. the poor are many, rich are few and a $1.98 tube of Neosporin costs $25! Military road blocks to search for drugs a thousand miles from the US border but drugs flow like water to the US. The place is a trainwreck as far as I am concerned.
Old 12-08-07, 10:39 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First - political science is an oxymoron. I don't care how many statistics and methodology classes they make you take - it mostly comes down to opinions supported by selected "facts." I learned that in methodology classes in graduate school.
Second - been in 36 countries and counting (including living in three foreign countries for two years each)
Third - almost everywhere I have ever traveled or lived the people have been friendly - especially if you are friendly to them.
Fourth - Mexico is a lovely mess - and not likely to be straightened out in the near term.
Fifth - well I guess that is enough for now.
Old 12-08-07, 10:43 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Actually, all of these costs are taken into account in the national studies.

One of the ironies in the health care costs is that it is because we deem them illegals that they cannot get jobs that provide health insurance. Therefore we force them into the emergency rooms without insurance as a matter of policy. It is either that or their sick and injured children would go untreated.

The counter to the health care costs is that many US businesses are saving money on health insurance because of hiring illegals and these profits are also passed into the economy, just like the heath care costs are.

A lot of large-scale economic models are in play here ... involving multiple countries.

What I find amazing is how much money some of these illegal aliens are able to save, given their low wages. They are much more disciplined in their spending and savings habits than most Americans.
I would appreciate an opportunity to look at some of these national studies and statistics that are being bantered around here. Do you have any internet links to publications that you would care to share?
Old 12-09-07, 07:59 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not a very political person, but I spent a couple months each year in central Mexico when I was growing up, and later lived in a border town doing social work where I pretty much spoke spanish instead of english. My ex was a border patrol agent in the 80's. I guess I'm just giving you background so I don't get accused of being a Minnesotan far away from the impact of the situation:

Whenever I listen to debates about this South American/Mexican immigration issue, after a while it basically boils down to an argument that there's so MANY of them that they're going to change everything. I don't glamorize the Mexican culture, which I find way too sexist for my taste, and I don't argue that they could change our status quo via many different venues. But, (ducks) what's the big deal about that?

We are* a democracy, and majority wins. We're a capitalistic society, so if there's suddenly bad spanish soap operas and game shows on during prime time... so be it. Even if we're totally repopulated in 100 years with spanish-speaking people and we become a spanish speaking nation, so what? Nations that don't adapt don't thrive.

I think there's also the very simple instinct to keep control if you have it. It's a little scary to turn over the keys to the car. But that's why it's great to live in a democracy! Everyone gets a vote, and the power theoretically continues to redistribute with the values of the society.

Personally, I think the US is like an overbred dog breed. We need a little hybrid vigor.

Last edited by solveg; 12-09-07 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-09-07, 08:12 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
@Solveg -- why is it that when you are in America and someone gives you change you don't count it because you're sure they wouldn't cheat you but when you are in Mexico you always count your change because you know they're likely to?

Within the answer lies most people's resistance to illegal immigration, methinks.
Old 12-09-07, 08:23 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I count my change here (haven't been there) because I can't be sure that the person operating the cash register can do simple math well enough to make correct change.
Old 12-09-07, 08:24 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Everyone gets a vote, and the power theoretically continues to redistribute with the values of the society.
According to our Constitution only citizens get to vote. We like all countries have laws regarding immigration. In the past immgration (legal) was much more open in the U.S. Back then though, immigrants or for that matter nobody had the expensive public benefits that are available today. If you didn't work, you starved, if you didn't have money for medical services, you didn't get them or you got very minimal. There were private charities that provided assistance to those that they thought were truly in need. Those folks that received that assistance ususally felt obligated to get on their own as soon as possible and often paid back what they received. Now government is the "caretaker" and tax dollars are used. Many people don't seem to mind taking money from the government for as long as possible and it's virutally unheard of for people to pay the government back when they get on their feet. Now these are considered "entitlements".
Old 12-09-07, 08:27 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I count my change here (haven't been there) because I can't be sure that the person operating the cash register can do simple math well enough to make correct change.
Yah, I was going to insert a "you count your change here if the kid is a public school graduate" but I've folded up my asbestos undies and put them away already.
Old 12-09-07, 09:11 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yah, I was going to insert a "you count your change here if the kid is a public school graduate" but I've folded up my asbestos undies and put them away already.
It may be different where you live, but around here, our public schools produce scholars as well as illiterates - just like the segregationist academies.
Old 12-09-07, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first read the title of this thread, I had hoped it would be a discussion of the different challenges one faces when going from one country to another. You know, passport issues, transportation differences, How easy or hard it is to get your bike shipped to another place. (This was something I was interested in for thinking about future travels around this magnificant planet). I didn't know it was going to be about bigotry. Oh, well live and learn. Could it be that our OP was trolling? If so, I guess I've been caught too.
Old 12-09-07, 09:42 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
When I first read the title of this thread, I had hoped it would be a discussion of the different challenges one faces when going from one country to another. You know, passport issues, transportation differences, How easy or hard it is to get your bike shipped to another place. (This was something I was interested in for thinking about future travels around this magnificant planet). I didn't know it was going to be about bigotry. Oh, well live and learn. Could it be that our OP was trolling? If so, I guess I've been caught too.
I thought this as well and that is why I posted the extensive list.
Old 12-09-07, 09:49 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe you ought to put them back on. Much as I love ya, man, you're starting to sound like a flaming troll.
Old 12-09-07, 10:06 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
OK..........I've been hooked...........and I tried hard.

This nation was/is made of immigrants. In fact I'd bet that we have more immigrants than anyone else. We are proud of it. Our country is what it is today because of it! There are hundreds of locations around the country that immigration is on display. We are not an overbred dog, in fact we haven't even finished deciding what sort of dog we are.

So when does it become bigotry to point out that some are here without bothering to do it right. Whats wrong with saying....go home...do it right...and be welcome here like everyone else.

Or perhaps is big bad American bashing another more popular form of bigotry.
Old 12-09-07, 10:13 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Maybe you ought to put them back on. Much as I love ya, man, you're starting to sound like a flaming troll.
Naah. Just a snark. My kid goes to a public school. A bilingual school at that. A ESL school even at that. And there are a bunch of foreigners in her class. They all speak English better than my daughter, even though Anya has learned how to say "Just relax!" and "Whatchadoin'" like a native. And we have no complaints about her school whatsoever. If the conservatives overrun this thread I'll start posting like a flaming lib.

Someone posted that one's opinion about illegal immigration is influenced by where they live. Here in Kentucky we note that they are incredibly hard workers. If Home Depot wants their business by having bilingual signage it's cool with me.

However, as someone who spent a blue fortune on LEGAL immigration and played by the rules, I sometimes wonder why I didn't just smuggle my daughter into Mexico and then into the States. Would have saved me a bunch of green.
Old 12-09-07, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
However, as someone who spent a blue fortune on LEGAL immigration and played by the rules, I sometimes wonder why I didn't just smuggle my daughter into Mexico and then into the States. Would have saved me a bunch of green.
I'm thinking that the rules for immigration from Mexico are way too tight. There's obviously a huge market for Mexican workers or they wouldn't be able to find jobs and they'd stop coming. It looks similar to me to the prohibition era and nationwide 55 MPH speed limits. When the laws are too strict, government completely loses control and they can't regulate the situation.
Old 12-09-07, 10:52 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I respect you for all sorts of reasons--including adopting a child from the Ukraine. My wife is a legal immigrant, so we also went through the whole, expensive, exasperating rigamarole. So, I really do appreciate your opinion on illegal immigrants. It was that comment about counting your change that bugged me. It struck me that an entire nation was being reduced to a simplistic negative stereotype. OK, I'm done *****in'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.