Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"stationary" bike dangers

There are TWO threads here about fall from "stationary" bikes.
    I have questions:

1. If you fall off it and drag it to the floor, is it correct to still refer to said bike as stationary?

2. Is it really that much harder to ride while not actually going anywhere than I was previously aware of?

3. Considering the dangers involved, how bad would it be for me to wear a helmet when riding one?

4. Should I rack up a few thousand more road miles before I consider taking on a stationary bike?
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering how large of a conspiracy there is among stationary bike manufacturers, hiding the fact that hundreds of thousands of people are being injured on them.

And who knows how many fatalies!

Oh the humanity!

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at my current trainer odometer and see that I have over 4000 miles on it. I thought I knew it pretty well but I will approach it with much more caution in the future!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have taken a look at the bylaws and unless the membership votes to the contrary, there will be no memberships in Club Tombay given for falling off a stationary bike either clipped or unclipped!

A proper video may......only may not for sure......qualify you for membership in the Johnson memorial cycling club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danger: Riders may die of boredom!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I have questions:

1. If you fall off it and drag it to the floor, is it correct to still refer to said bike as stationary?
    Yes, this would still be the correct term. That is, assuming the said fall didn't occur on a hill, afterwhich the rider, bike and trainer slide 200 yards downhill.

2. Is it really that much harder to ride while not actually going anywhere than I was previously aware of?
    Beyond a shadow of a doubt this is the hardest riding you'll ever experience. Think about it, when was the last time you heard a pro rider sing the praises of his or her trainer. No, given the choice, even the pros would rather to TTs, sprints, and mountain pass climbs. Just thinking about riding a trainer seperates the serious "hard-core" riders from the casual riders.

3. Considering the dangers involved, how bad would it be for me to wear a helmet when riding one?
    For some of us, it's a good idea to wear a helmet when engaged in any physical activity. However, due to the stationary nature of the activity, you'll have no wind to help keep your body temperature in check. So, you need to mount a small battery powered fan on top of the helmet to keep you cool.

4. Should I rack up a few thousand more road miles before I consider taking on a stationary bike?
    That would be my recommendation. And even then, I'd encourage you to hire a professional coach to make sure you're doing it correctly. It's important to remember that a trainer is not a toy. It's a serious bit of training equipment only used by the most skilled and dedicated riders.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    I looked at my current trainer odometer and see that I have over 4000 miles on it. I thought I knew it pretty well but I will approach it with much more caution in the future!
    Suggest you either check the calibration of your odometer or the way your trainer is mounted. In a spirited standing sprint, I may occasionally cause my trainer to move a fraction of an inch. I can't imagine how to move one a yard, much less 4000 miles.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manufacturers should have a warning label on the stationary trainer pointing out the potential risks. I know I appreciate the warning on my Starbucks cup that the coffee is hot.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh my! I hadn't even begun to think of what could happen if two dangers (Will Robinson should be mentioned here) are brought together. If you were on your stationary bike and someone brought you a cup of Starbuck's coffee why.....why.....it could be like a matter/antimatter collision.

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this whole thread is scary! And of course if you wear spandex while riding your stationary thats dangerous (three) I'm thinking they need to do a recall and send them all back to wherever they come from

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's something very unnatural about a stationary bike.

I don't read stories about people having stationary cars or boats in their houses for using in the winter.

Now excuse whilst I go to use my stationary skateboard.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    Amen, bro.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I suppose falls off stationary bikes are always called Arte Johnson falls, huh.........
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 USA Ed. & Motobecane Century Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find "riding” a “stationary” bike much more difficult than riding out on the road. I have always had difficulty maintaining a track stand for very long.

-Spoke
    "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine for a W/U workout. If I hoope on a bike on the road, I can't seem to wait to get moving, On a stationary, I 12-18 minutes and I'm ready to Roll!!!!

Sure eliminated alot of leg problems.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    This kid has managed to make it a little less boring.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIVh-JUNyQs
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I have taken a look at the bylaws and unless the membership votes to the contrary, there will be no memberships in Club Tombay given for falling off a stationary bike either clipped or unclipped!

A proper video may......only may not for sure......qualify you for membership in the Johnson memorial cycling club.
    I was clipped in when I fell.

Incidentally, do I get bonus points with Club Tombay if I am listening to Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin at the time of the fall?

http://www.maurice-ravel.net/tombeau.htm

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I have questions:

you're right to be worried...many years ago Sears Canada was forced to recall a couple of their stationary bike models...apparently the seat post wore through the seat, causing some injuries...

...a helmet would not have helped

steel lover
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01 View Post
    you're right to be worried...many years ago Sears Canada was forced to recall a couple of their stationary bike models...apparently the seat post wore through the seat, causing some injuries...

...a helmet would not have helped
    ...a cup might have.

Back to topic....
    I have a friend who was doing some training for the Hou-Austin MS150 and some how managed to break his leg... it happened close enough to the ride that the cast wasn't off in time.

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I believe it does lay the groundwork for future consideration as a Darwin Award candidate.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the last couple of days on this board, I've learned that if I am going to ride a stationary bike, then I should purchase a Nutty Buddy.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew there was a reason that I gave up riding on my stationary / exercize bike. little did I know I was saving face....maybe literally.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by swan652 View Post
    I believe it does lay the groundwork for future consideration as a Darwin Award candidate.
    Thanks. I suppose between falling off the spin bike and riding home 4 miles at night without a working headlight I've become the Darwin Award poster child.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you guys have better balance than I but I find these daunting:
    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...jor=3&minor=11

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . and you can't draft on a stationary either!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast