Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MTB's for a better workout

Just saying.

Long time since I went out on the MTB but I got it ready in the week and as the weather is still bad- decided to take the Mountain bike out for a run instead of another wet ride on the road. Wind is only about 25mph today but rain was forecast so 9am and me and Martyn were out for a bit of Fun. First time out on the MTB for about 6 months so an easy ride. Only planned on about 10 miles but in the woods. A few slopes to see if I could still do them and a bit of mud to see if I still had the bike skills. Hadn't gone 1/2 mile and the rain started. It came on heavy and just got heavier as you can see from the last two pics- That is not camera shake- It is Rain. The Bianchi standing by the water- That water is a low ditch that is now full and overflowing the Path. Haven't seen it like that for a few years so the last couple of weeks of rain is beginning to accumulate. And we did find some Mud but there was no way I was getting the camera out in 6" of gloop. There was no way I was going to put my feet down in that stuff.

So had fun- am absolutely soaked and I will leave the bike out in the rain for another couple of minutes before I wash it down. Thank goodness we did not take in the hills as I am now freezing and feel worse than after a 50 mile road ride.

Edit-Another pic added to show the Winter trees. Now 4 hours since the end of the ride and it has not stopped raining since we got back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapfam; 12-09-07 at 08:34 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with the workout and the trail looks similar to areas that I ride but your daft to do it in that sort of rain.

Good football weather though. (yours, not ours)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, no one is going to accuse you of being a fair-weather rider, that's for sure.

Of course, if you attacked road riding with the same intensity as you do mountain biking, you would be getting more of a workout at that as well. But it is hard to make yourself work that hard on the road because you have a choice.

I bet some of the folks who baby their chains (see the chain cleaning thread) are freaking out seeing what your bike is being subjected to on those muddy roads.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were a member of the Kentucky Mountain Biking Association you'd be receiving lots of hostile if not poorly written and misspelled posts about your irresponsibility for riding a wet trail, rutting it up and promoting erosion. Definitely a no-no in the Bluegrass State.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    If you were a member of the Kentucky Mountain Biking Association you'd be receiving lots of hostile if not poorly written and misspelled posts about your irresponsibility for riding a wet trail, rutting it up and promoting erosion. Definitely a no-no in the Bluegrass State.
    Don't have a pic of it- but if you saw the next bit of trail after the last pic- You would tell the MBA where to poke it. Forestry going on and the Logging trucks caused the Mud. And its fine for those to criticise us UK riders for cutting up the trails- but we are on Bridlepaths- which are Horse riding routes so without the trucks- you can guess what they are like.

Mountain Bikes are limited to where we can ride over here. Not allowed on Footpaths as they are for peds only. We can only go on Bridle paths or White roads. Bridle path is the horse trails and white roads are for all vehicles- 4x4's and Motorbikes included. So next time out- I will try and get to a white road- Then you will see a cut up trail.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there nowhere in England where you can ride on singletrack developed specifically for bikes? Roads and trails demolished by 4x4s, motorcycles and horses can be fun as a test of toughness, but true singletrack, rightfully protected by the groups who develop and maintain it, are what I really love about riding mountain bikes.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Of course, if you attacked road riding with the same intensity as you do mountain biking, you would be getting more of a workout at that as well. But it is hard to make yourself work that hard on the road because you have a choice.
    You speak truth, BluesDawg. I had a friend who was a runner and used to make fun of my riding. She's say, I just can get a good enough workout by cycling. I'd tell her to ride harder, but she response was always that it wasn't possible to ride hard enough to get the same level of fitness. That is, she used to say that until I finally got her out on a "ride of truth" with me. She, almost completely without breath, panted at a red light about 12 miles into the ride, "OK, OK, I'm wrong. Could you ease up just a bit?" And, we hadn't got to the serious part of the ride yet.

Stafam, you are officially hardcore in my book. I admire your grit! I also know some of the joy of riding when most are inside. It kind of makes one feel special.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    You speak truth, BluesDawg. I had a friend who was a runner and used to make fun of my riding. She's say, I just can get a good enough workout by cycling. I'd tell her to ride harder, but she response was always that it wasn't possible to ride hard enough to get the same level of fitness. That is, she used to say that until I finally got her out on a "ride of truth" with me. She, almost completely without breath, panted at a red light about 12 miles into the ride, "OK, OK, I'm wrong. Could you ease up just a bit?" And, we hadn't got to the serious part of the ride yet.

Stafam, you are officially hardcore in my book. I admire your grit! I also know some of the joy of riding when most are inside. It kind of makes one feel special.
    Problem with me on the road is that just going along a flat road is boring. I need a challenge to get the HR up. On the flat- I get up to around 135- about 80% of my max- and I can't see any sense in pushing harder as I will be out for a 50/60 mile ride. Give me a hill though and I will ride it at 150 (90% of Max) and even exceed my max on occasions. On an MTB you have no choice- It is a hill and I ride it at 145to 150. Then you get to the steep bit- or the muddy bit or where extra speed is necessary and I am up to 160 without thinking about it. I suppose it is what you are used to but Mountain Biking will give you a workout. If you don't want to walk those 15% hills- then you have to put the effort in. On the road- 20 mph is fast enough to be bored with- but I will still be riding in 60 miles time.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    On the road- 20 mph is fast enough to be bored with- but I will still be riding in 60 miles time.
    Ah, yes, but when pushing the 54x12 gears you're now pushing ito the 30+ mph zone. I tend not to get bored there, out of breath, yes, bored, no. I'm not critical of MTB riding, and I'm glad it brings you joy and fitness. I just find it interesting that many runners think there sport is superior, swimmers. MTB'ers, roadies, and others often the same. To me, it's more important to find something you can stay with. Any you, sir, are lucky enough to have found off-road and road riding. Not a bad combination.... given my love for two wheels.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    Ah, yes, but when pushing the 54x12 gears you're now pushing ito the 30+ mph zone. I tend not to get bored there, out of breath, yes, bored, no. I'm not critical of MTB riding, and I'm glad it brings you joy and fitness. I just find it interesting that many runners think there sport is superior, swimmers. MTB'ers, roadies, and others often the same. To me, it's more important to find something you can stay with. Any you, sir, are lucky enough to have found off-road and road riding. Not a bad combination.... given my love for two wheels.
    Now climb the 3rd 15% 1 mile hill of the morning on a 42/23. I can't do it but 34/27 will get me through my hilly rides. Speed does not matter to me and I know that sounds strange but it doesn't. I train for a few tiring events a year and I find that Stamina- is far better for me than speed. It is nice to do a Metric in 4 hours- and I have done that on the MTB but I was younger then. And at your 30mph on the flat- You should be doing 100K in about 2 1/2 hours?

I could keep going on about it- But Hills are Fun. Gives you something to aim for. Speed on the flat is not my cup of Tea. And 30 mph is only a cadence of 115 on the MTB with 44/11- but I don't do that uphill. Now the reason I have not been mountain biking is that I now have road bikes. I may get bored with speed on the flat but Ventoux was great fun.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Is there nowhere in England where you can ride on singletrack developed specifically for bikes? Roads and trails demolished by 4x4s, motorcycles and horses can be fun as a test of toughness, but true singletrack, rightfully protected by the groups who develop and maintain it, are what I really love about riding mountain bikes.
    Sorry BD- Missed this posting. There are some Areas where bikes are permitted over an area and Locally we have Friston Forest. About 10 square miles of Forest and singletrack and graded paths for cycling have been set up within this area. Bikes do have priority in this are where the designated trails go- But the concern is that peds are allowed aswell so there is always the fear that you could find a kid in the middle of a trail you are hammering down. But at the same time-I prefer to have my own routes. I know most of the bridleways and they are far enough from Civilisation not to have peds on them. One of which is a broad track- 30ft wide that is only a 5% grade for 1/2 mile. Tried riding up slippery Clay that is also 4" deep in places and 12" in others? It is a challenge and the "Safe" route up changes weekly. I have yet to walk it in 17 years but many do. And as for Bikes ruining trails and Paths- Our weather does that for us- and corrects the trails from any overuse that is made.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics, Stapfam. I'm glad you have someone to go out with in the rain. When I've ridden wet trails, we refer to horses as "post hole diggers".