Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holey Knickers!!!

Unbelievable. How frustrating. I spent a good bit of time of researching knickers, and shelled out more dollars than I'd like to purchase a pair of knickers.

Knee warmers just don't work......as discussed in another post.

I've only worn this pair three times. I noticed this morning that after the 100 mile ride yesterday I have a huge hole near the padding on one of the legs. Apparently the inside of my thighs are occassionally rubbing against the saddle bag. There is a hard plastic raised letter "S" for Specialized on the sides of the bag and it must be rubbing against the spandex.

Usually stuff lasts me a whole lot longer than this. I'll try some iron on patches to see those will work on synthetics.......and will remove the S's on the sides of my saddle bags.

Last edited by jppe; 12-09-07 at 04:03 PM.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been waiting for the opportunity to tell jppe to move his S.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He claims the S's are on a specialized logo, but actually they're on his Superman logo.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has patched my bike shorts using "parts" from an old pair. The material will stretch a little better. I have gotten holes in my shorts the same way.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I hadn't seen pics of jppe, and been impressed by his mileage-- I'd say his "S" may be too big.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad on the damage...

I'd like to put in my vote for knickers, though. They work great on a chilly day for me. I found some at a Peral Izumi outlet store last summer and got a great deal on them.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the 70s, before lycra, racers (and Joe Namath) wore pantyhose to keep warm!
    Show off your legs + keep warm!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Back in the 70s, before lycra, racers (and Joe Namath) wore pantyhose to keep warm!
    Show off your legs + keep warm!
    Spandex was invented in 1959 by DuPont and the most famous brand is Lycra. Namath wore pantyhose in a commercial that was provocative for the time. And in the 70s I wore MEN's tights for cycling and running to keep warm made of wool and synthetic which may have had some spandex in it. I wlll defer to the women of this forum about whether or not pantyhose are warm or not. They do not look like it to me.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand?
    I have some light fleece lined knikers by Santini I just LOVE for my 30 degree commute. I also have similar Craft knickers i like almost as much.
    I bought a more normal lycra version on eBay for not much -- made in Peru of all places -- and thought they felt good. Then my wife rode behind me (behind being the key word here) and noted by butt crack was perhaps more visible that I was aware of. I guess there's a reason the good stuff costs more -- it isn't quite as thin.

In any event though, "+ a bunch" for knickers!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stoker Kay wears pantyhose on cold days under her cycling shorts on our tandem. Claims they are warm/comfy and they don't slide down like some legwarmers. On real cold days she'd also wear wooly knee socks. Pilot did wear wool legwarmers back in the 70s.
    Glad we live in southern AZ now where we don't have to resort too often to covering up our legs!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ccorlew:
    Butt crack = reverse cleavage?!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me there are big advantages to wearing Knickers on the cold mornings- The bit that covers the knees stays around the knees. My knees are not in the best shape and they do like a bit of molly coddling on the cold mornings.

Now as to holes- I have had mine for about 6 years now but are bib shorts. Winter material so is a bit thicker than my other bibs but there is a hole in them. 3rd time out and a big off on the MTB and plenty of blood and a hole in the knee of the knickers. Never bothered to replace them as the hole has not got bigger.And they only get used for about 3 months of the year. If it is that cold- they also get covered with bib tights.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    ccorlew:
    Butt crack = reverse cleavage?!
    Even that makes it sound prettier than it is....
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall a large cycling friend who refused to acknowledge his shorts had worn out and worn especially thin. Drafting behind him was like staring into the "face" of a baboon's pink behind.

FWIW, I have a pair of Nashbar knickers of noticably heavy weight lycra...they're a bit frayed now, but have given 4 years of good service and lots of wear. I ordered another pair of their knickers and was surprized at how cheaply made and thin their lycra had become.

Often, perhaps not always, but often you do get what you pay for....there are few real bargains in the bike world...except on eBay from time to time.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain View Post
    I recall a large cycling friend who refused to acknowledge his shorts had worn out and worn especially thin. Drafting behind him was like staring into the "face" of a baboon's pink behind.
    Unfortunately, I have seen this, too. No one in the group wants to be the one to tell him, either. And why is it never an attractive woman who lets shorts wear out too much?

There is a tip in this: check the back of your shorts for wear, while you have them on, every so often.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.