Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that you FINAL answer?

Well,

After much thought and careful consideration I have decided what "THE" bike for me to be riding in 2008 will be.

The card please...

The 2008 Gary Fisher Paragon 29'r

I looked over the specs on every Trek, Fisher, and Bianchi I could get my hands on. I was NOT going to buy into Trek's 69'r notion of having a front 29 and a rear 26 inch tire. The Bianchi's were close, real close to getting the nod. There was one other Fisher I liked and that was the new Hifi 29'r Deluxe. I just don't want the maintenance issues with a full suspension, so the Paragon is nearly the same specs as the Hifi.

Some will be upset that my Roadie spirit lost out to my MTB roots. That would be a true statement. But you need to factor in all the work locally being done to open riding trails to MTB's. It's an incredible change from 20 years ago.

So, if all goes well, the order and payment goes out tomorrow and if the cards fall right, I could be riding this weekend! Pictures will follow to be sure.

Chris

P.S. Upgrades are already forth coming!
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice choice. The 2008 Fisher 29ers look like a big improvement over the '07 models. People are raving about the Fox 29er forks.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the 29" front wheel is an advantage on the 69'er. The taller tire rolls over obstacles easier and smoother. The steering is slightly less nimble at low speeds, but fine at higher speed. The smaller rear tire requires less effort to turn, and accelerates better. Motocross bikes have used a bigger front wheel forever. If the 69'er had the new rear suspension the EX bikes have, I wouldn't have gotten the EX8. 29'ers look cool. That's for sure.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built up and rode the Boss' HIFI 29 Deluxe and the shock on that was wonderful both front and rear. I love the new X-9 front derailluer, it snaps off shifts like you would not believe.

My plan is to do some subtle updates and gram shaving (I had promised myself I wouldn't do this ever again) in areas where it makes sense. I have every intention on doing some SNOW riding this year as well as a lot of singletrack in the spring and summer.

Looks like My "CLYDE" bike might benefit some parts trickle down off the Paragon so that will be neat too. I love the fit of that bike and I'll get the GF close to the CLYDE. The CLYDE will be getting some street tires soon and be put into service as a trainer in the basement for a bit. I'll spin the heck outta that this winter and keep the GF for those special rides.

I'm so pumped on this!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Chris!

I've looked at the Paragon too. I'm not ready yet to add a fourth bike to the stable, but if I were--and I decided it would be an MTB--the Paragon would my choice too.

Slap some studs on it (try the Nokian Extreme 294) and you can join us on the Tuesday Night Urban Assault.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wifey already thinks I'm nutz for going on a few of the TNUA Rides. With Snow on the Ground she'd ask me to find a room in the "R" Wing to be sure. As long as I can have my bikes....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Slap some studs on it (try the Nokian Extreme 294) and you can join us on the Tuesday Night Urban Assault.
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon