User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A beautiful day for a bike ride (pics)

It rained off and on most of the weekend. Last night's lows were in the upper 30s. Today turned into a gorgeous, picture-perfect, crisp fall day, and we headed out on our bikes around 1 PM. We were greeted by beautiful blue sky, golden leaves falling from trees .... and snow on the mountains. Yes Virginia, it does snow in Southern California.

Taken about 5 miles from home, on the way to the MUP...

Heading up toward Mount Baldy near the end of the MUP...

Back down in town. Hey, we even have fall color!

Another bike trail (bikes only), further south....

Heading back home. Snow is visible in the lower-left corner.... these are different mountains, not the same ones seen in the other photos. A few years ago, the ones in the lower-center were burning in one of the major wild fires we had that year.

25 miles later, back home... the sun is now behind us, and the trees that line the street were literally glowing.

Just another beautiful day in Southern California.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HEY!!! How'd you train the snow to stay up on the mountain tops ?

Seriously, nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Living Life On Two Wheels knatchwa's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly those are some amazing photos. And Glad to hear you are out riding, long life and a better environment, only some of the benefits of cycling.

Appreciate the share

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the nice pics, Yen. One of the SoCal guys wants to ride up to Mt. Baldy village next Saturday. I'm thinking that's not a good idea?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures, Yen.

I'm glad someone is able to get out and ride It's been snow, rain and fog around here for the past few days. Our club cancelled the Christmas Lights ride due to heavy fog last night.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for rubbing it in... just kidding!!

We are having highs in the low thirties today, and it is warmer than it has been...

Thanks for sharing the pictures, and I am glad you are out riding.

If the temps get above 40, I may try for a ride myself. But, that may be in the spring.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting. I realize it is still years away, but I eagerly anticipate completion of the Del Mar to Julian trail.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics...pics of the bikes, pics of the mountains but no pics of the engine. What powers those bike around?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great to me. In our last 18 days, we've broken 40 once (it got up to 43). Next ten days are predicted to be under 30. Then winter begins.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just look at those Mountains in the Background. Trust that one or two have roads going up them- so look for your 2008 challenge and goal to be riding one of them. Just shows how much I don't know America. Just say California to a brit and all we think of is sun and beaches. To find Southern California has mountains came as a shock.

AND- What Milage? Reading "25 miles" later shows you have been getting in some secret training- Well done.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. We've been blessed with exceptional weather here as well. The data below is from my GPS during yesterday's little afternoon ride. Approximately 2 pm est. The temps eventually moved to around 75 degrees. We're on tap to break records in the high 70's today and tomorrow.....I've got to find a way to get out of work.....Maybe I'll call in well !!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Weather Data Avg Low High
    Temperature (F) 69.8 69.8 69.8
    Relative Humidity (%) 68.7 68.7 68.7
    Wind Speed (mph) 8.1 8.1 8.1

Relevant Data
    Predominant Weather Type: Haze
    Predominant Wind Direction: SW
    Weather Station: Greer, Greenville-Spartanburg Airport
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great clear air in SoCal this weekend, I agree. On Sat. did an easy ride from home to Seal Beach and back with breakfast at the Cafe on Main Street Seal Beach.

Then Sun. it was Hacienda Heights (East Road / West Road), Old Fullerton, Puente Hills, Brea Canyon, Pathfinder, . . . and from the top of Turnbull Canyon we could see into downtown Los Angeles! We stopped at Starbucks in Upper Whittier, then back to Brea for about 45 miles and almost 3,000 feet of climbing!

No, . . . I didn't bring my camera on either ride, so no photos.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen:

Thanks for posting those photos. I try to explain to folks back East what it's like to ride So Cal in the Fall and Winter and those photos say it beautifully!!!

I always love after a nice rain driving to work and seeing the mountains dusted with snow. It doesn't last long but it's still awesome to see.

BTW Yen where were you riding. Looks like a nice ride!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to provide a little contrast: Everything here is covered in ice, so I hate you.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks wonderful! Sigh ...

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Just to provide a little contrast: Everything here is covered in ice, so I hate you.
    Ack! Too bad, it looks like T-man still has electrical power.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Just look at those Mountains in the Background. Trust that one or two have roads going up them- so look for your 2008 challenge and goal to be riding one of them. Just shows how much I don't know America. Just say California to a brit and all we think of is sun and beaches. To find Southern California has mountains came as a shock.

AND- What Milage? Reading "25 miles" later shows you have been getting in some secret training- Well done.
    There are several roads in those mountains and I've posted pictures from them before. She refers to Mount Baldy, here's a link to a thread from November when we went up there.
    Baldy Lite Ride Report
    There is a road called Angeles Crest Highway that runs along the back of that ridge, great riding there, too.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

Stap - you really must travel here some day. California is an awesome state. We have great beaches, that's true but we also are the home to the Sierra Nevadas and places like Mammoth and Mount Whitney (highest peak in the Southern US - only Denali in Alaska is higher). Right out my work window is the view Yen photo'd - I can see the Mt. Baldy and Mt. Wilson and all along the San Girgonios (sp?). When I travelled to Europe for skiing I was surprised to find out the mountain ranges there were so "short". They do not compared with California's mountains and in fact, most of the folks I met in Germany, Austria and Switzerland loved to ski Mammoth Mountain (Mammoth is truly awesome - there's a great century in September - come out and do it!).

California is indeed a varied state - from beaches, to mountains, vineyard to orchards and deserts, it's not a bad place to come visit. If you check the So Cal Regional thread you will see that riders regularly go up to Chantry Flats (Mt. Wilson) and GMR. All worthy mountain climbs not as pretty as the Alps but comparable.

Here's some info:

Mount Whitney, the highest point in the United States outside Alaska, rises to a majestic 14,495 feet above sea level in Sequoia National Park, at the headwaters of the Kings and Kern rivers. In southeastern Siskiyou County is Mount Shasta, a solitary peak of volcanic origin whose summit is 14,162 feet. Just to the south stands Mount Lassen at 10,457 feet. Mt. Lassen was an active volcano between 1914 and 1921

The Sierra Nevada and the Coast Ranges are California's two major mountain ranges. The Klamath Mountains and the Cascades are located along the northern border of the state. The Transverse Ranges bisect southern California. The mountainous spine of the Baja California peninsula extends north into the Peninsular Ranges.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen:

I guess I've heard MUP before but what does it stand for? I would really like to look it up especially for riding this time of year. I'm down in Orange County and don't get out much.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Pam, one of these days you should join us on a GMR ride! We will take care of you and make sure you don't get lost. No worries.

Well, after the snow melts a bit would be better. bigjohn knows the way too. And Mary Elizabeth of course. Lots of folks, really, and I know you'd like it!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    Yen:

I guess I've heard MUP before but what does it stand for? I would really like to look it up especially for riding this time of year. I'm down in Orange County and don't get out much.

Some say it stands for "Multiple Use Path", but I believe it is a warning about the "Meandering Unaware Pedestrians" who frequent them.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone, glad you liked our pictures! I'm still enjoying the memories as if we just returned from a fantastic far-off vacation. The day was SO beautiful and the pictures barely capture it all. The snow was just as white, the sky just as blue, and the leaves just as gold as the pictures show (no post-processing needed).

Just about a block away from here as we headed down to the main street that took us up to the first trail, a good breeze picked up and Hubby rode through a shower of golden leaves falling around him. Beautiful! The beauty at almost every turn took my breath away and I made Hubby stop and "take a picture of that!"

The Hollywood version of CA is nothing but beaches and palm trees, but there is so much more. That snow in the photos is about 30-45 minutes from our house. An hour in the other direction are the beaches. The San Gabriel mountains, San Bernardino Mountains, Angeles National Forest (just to name a few) will get at least a dusting of snow every year.... sometimes, the snow is still visible on the south side in May, and longer on the north side. California even has its own glacier!

Yes, I've been riding. Not as often as I'd like because I can only ride in the dark after work during the week. I dislike that very much but I have to keep my legs in shape for these longer weekend rides. Speaking of which, 25 miles now seems like a standard ride.... an hour's ride seems like a ride around the block. So, I'm beginning to feel like a real cyclist after re-entering this sport in March..... I figure that only a real cyclist would be willing to go out in the dark at 7:30 PM and brave the traffic and chilly night air!

It's nice to be here again, but I gotta go change into my bike clothes and go for a ride.... talk to you later!

Jen

PS to BCIpam: We went to Thompson Trail, and then down to another trail further south below Foothill Blvd. I don't know the name of that one, but it's almost empty every time we're on it.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, Yen, thanks for sharing!

It was a beautiful day for a ride.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pics from my home. My bike carrier, otherwise known as an Acura Integra, and my patio furniture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Thanks for posting. I realize it is still years away, but I eagerly anticipate completion of the Del Mar to Julian trail.
    Gotta link? I am curious about what parts are finished... is this a cycling trail or strictly walking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast