Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-07, 10:14 PM   #1
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A beautiful day for a bike ride (pics)

It rained off and on most of the weekend. Last night's lows were in the upper 30s. Today turned into a gorgeous, picture-perfect, crisp fall day, and we headed out on our bikes around 1 PM. We were greeted by beautiful blue sky, golden leaves falling from trees .... and snow on the mountains. Yes Virginia, it does snow in Southern California.

Taken about 5 miles from home, on the way to the MUP...

Heading up toward Mount Baldy near the end of the MUP...

Back down in town. Hey, we even have fall color!

Another bike trail (bikes only), further south....

Heading back home. Snow is visible in the lower-left corner.... these are different mountains, not the same ones seen in the other photos. A few years ago, the ones in the lower-center were burning in one of the major wild fires we had that year.

25 miles later, back home... the sun is now behind us, and the trees that line the street were literally glowing.

Just another beautiful day in Southern California.
Old 12-09-07, 10:46 PM   #2
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HEY!!! How'd you train the snow to stay up on the mountain tops ?

Seriously, nice pics, thanks for sharing.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 04:29 AM   #3
knatchwa
Living Life On Two Wheels

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey
Certainly those are some amazing photos. And Glad to hear you are out riding, long life and a better environment, only some of the benefits of cycling.

Appreciate the share
knatchwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 08:03 AM   #4
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Thanks for the nice pics, Yen. One of the SoCal guys wants to ride up to Mt. Baldy village next Saturday. I'm thinking that's not a good idea?
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 08:04 AM   #5
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great pictures, Yen.

I'm glad someone is able to get out and ride It's been snow, rain and fog around here for the past few days. Our club cancelled the Christmas Lights ride due to heavy fog last night.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 09:57 AM   #6
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for rubbing it in... just kidding!!

We are having highs in the low thirties today, and it is warmer than it has been...

Thanks for sharing the pictures, and I am glad you are out riding.

If the temps get above 40, I may try for a ride myself. But, that may be in the spring.
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 10:00 AM   #7
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Thanks for posting. I realize it is still years away, but I eagerly anticipate completion of the Del Mar to Julian trail.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 10:38 AM   #8
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Nice pics...pics of the bikes, pics of the mountains but no pics of the engine. What powers those bike around?
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 12:54 PM   #9
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Looks great to me. In our last 18 days, we've broken 40 once (it got up to 43). Next ten days are predicted to be under 30. Then winter begins.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 01:09 PM   #10
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Just look at those Mountains in the Background. Trust that one or two have roads going up them- so look for your 2008 challenge and goal to be riding one of them. Just shows how much I don't know America. Just say California to a brit and all we think of is sun and beaches. To find Southern California has mountains came as a shock.

AND- What Milage? Reading "25 miles" later shows you have been getting in some secret training- Well done.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 02:34 PM   #11
barryflht

Bikes: Scott CR1
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. We've been blessed with exceptional weather here as well. The data below is from my GPS during yesterday's little afternoon ride. Approximately 2 pm est. The temps eventually moved to around 75 degrees. We're on tap to break records in the high 70's today and tomorrow.....I've got to find a way to get out of work.....Maybe I'll call in well !!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weather Data Avg Low High
Temperature (F) 69.8 69.8 69.8
Relative Humidity (%) 68.7 68.7 68.7
Wind Speed (mph) 8.1 8.1 8.1

Relevant Data
Predominant Weather Type: Haze
Predominant Wind Direction: SW
Weather Station: Greer, Greenville-Spartanburg Airport
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
barryflht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 03:04 PM   #12
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Great clear air in SoCal this weekend, I agree. On Sat. did an easy ride from home to Seal Beach and back with breakfast at the Cafe on Main Street Seal Beach.

Then Sun. it was Hacienda Heights (East Road / West Road), Old Fullerton, Puente Hills, Brea Canyon, Pathfinder, . . . and from the top of Turnbull Canyon we could see into downtown Los Angeles! We stopped at Starbucks in Upper Whittier, then back to Brea for about 45 miles and almost 3,000 feet of climbing!

No, . . . I didn't bring my camera on either ride, so no photos.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 03:15 PM   #13
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yen:

Thanks for posting those photos. I try to explain to folks back East what it's like to ride So Cal in the Fall and Winter and those photos say it beautifully!!!

I always love after a nice rain driving to work and seeing the mountains dusted with snow. It doesn't last long but it's still awesome to see.

BTW Yen where were you riding. Looks like a nice ride!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 04:40 PM   #14
Terrierman

Bikes:
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Just to provide a little contrast: Everything here is covered in ice, so I hate you.
Old 12-10-07, 05:40 PM   #15
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800
Looks wonderful! Sigh ...
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 06:01 PM   #16
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
Just to provide a little contrast: Everything here is covered in ice, so I hate you.
Ack! Too bad, it looks like T-man still has electrical power.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-10-07, 06:34 PM   #17
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Just look at those Mountains in the Background. Trust that one or two have roads going up them- so look for your 2008 challenge and goal to be riding one of them. Just shows how much I don't know America. Just say California to a brit and all we think of is sun and beaches. To find Southern California has mountains came as a shock.

AND- What Milage? Reading "25 miles" later shows you have been getting in some secret training- Well done.
There are several roads in those mountains and I've posted pictures from them before. She refers to Mount Baldy, here's a link to a thread from November when we went up there.
Baldy Lite Ride Report
There is a road called Angeles Crest Highway that runs along the back of that ridge, great riding there, too.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 06:43 PM   #18
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

Stap - you really must travel here some day. California is an awesome state. We have great beaches, that's true but we also are the home to the Sierra Nevadas and places like Mammoth and Mount Whitney (highest peak in the Southern US - only Denali in Alaska is higher). Right out my work window is the view Yen photo'd - I can see the Mt. Baldy and Mt. Wilson and all along the San Girgonios (sp?). When I travelled to Europe for skiing I was surprised to find out the mountain ranges there were so "short". They do not compared with California's mountains and in fact, most of the folks I met in Germany, Austria and Switzerland loved to ski Mammoth Mountain (Mammoth is truly awesome - there's a great century in September - come out and do it!).

California is indeed a varied state - from beaches, to mountains, vineyard to orchards and deserts, it's not a bad place to come visit. If you check the So Cal Regional thread you will see that riders regularly go up to Chantry Flats (Mt. Wilson) and GMR. All worthy mountain climbs not as pretty as the Alps but comparable.

Here's some info:

Mount Whitney, the highest point in the United States outside Alaska, rises to a majestic 14,495 feet above sea level in Sequoia National Park, at the headwaters of the Kings and Kern rivers. In southeastern Siskiyou County is Mount Shasta, a solitary peak of volcanic origin whose summit is 14,162 feet. Just to the south stands Mount Lassen at 10,457 feet. Mt. Lassen was an active volcano between 1914 and 1921

The Sierra Nevada and the Coast Ranges are California's two major mountain ranges. The Klamath Mountains and the Cascades are located along the northern border of the state. The Transverse Ranges bisect southern California. The mountainous spine of the Baja California peninsula extends north into the Peninsular Ranges.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 12-10-07, 06:47 PM   #19
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Yen:

I guess I've heard MUP before but what does it stand for? I would really like to look it up especially for riding this time of year. I'm down in Orange County and don't get out much.

Old 12-10-07, 07:46 PM   #20
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
So Pam, one of these days you should join us on a GMR ride! We will take care of you and make sure you don't get lost. No worries.

Well, after the snow melts a bit would be better. bigjohn knows the way too. And Mary Elizabeth of course. Lots of folks, really, and I know you'd like it!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 08:34 PM   #21
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
Yen:

I guess I've heard MUP before but what does it stand for? I would really like to look it up especially for riding this time of year. I'm down in Orange County and don't get out much.

Some say it stands for "Multiple Use Path", but I believe it is a warning about the "Meandering Unaware Pedestrians" who frequent them.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 09:29 PM   #22
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Hey everyone, glad you liked our pictures! I'm still enjoying the memories as if we just returned from a fantastic far-off vacation. The day was SO beautiful and the pictures barely capture it all. The snow was just as white, the sky just as blue, and the leaves just as gold as the pictures show (no post-processing needed).

Just about a block away from here as we headed down to the main street that took us up to the first trail, a good breeze picked up and Hubby rode through a shower of golden leaves falling around him. Beautiful! The beauty at almost every turn took my breath away and I made Hubby stop and "take a picture of that!"

The Hollywood version of CA is nothing but beaches and palm trees, but there is so much more. That snow in the photos is about 30-45 minutes from our house. An hour in the other direction are the beaches. The San Gabriel mountains, San Bernardino Mountains, Angeles National Forest (just to name a few) will get at least a dusting of snow every year.... sometimes, the snow is still visible on the south side in May, and longer on the north side. California even has its own glacier!

Yes, I've been riding. Not as often as I'd like because I can only ride in the dark after work during the week. I dislike that very much but I have to keep my legs in shape for these longer weekend rides. Speaking of which, 25 miles now seems like a standard ride.... an hour's ride seems like a ride around the block. So, I'm beginning to feel like a real cyclist after re-entering this sport in March..... I figure that only a real cyclist would be willing to go out in the dark at 7:30 PM and brave the traffic and chilly night air!

It's nice to be here again, but I gotta go change into my bike clothes and go for a ride.... talk to you later!

Jen

PS to BCIpam: We went to Thompson Trail, and then down to another trail further south below Foothill Blvd. I don't know the name of that one, but it's almost empty every time we're on it.
Old 12-10-07, 10:10 PM   #23
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay"; Fuji D6 TT bike
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great pics, Yen, thanks for sharing!

It was a beautiful day for a ride.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 05:54 PM   #24
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Here are some pics from my home. My bike carrier, otherwise known as an Acura Integra, and my patio furniture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acura.jpg (91.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg patio.jpg (91.1 KB, 10 views)

Old 12-16-07, 09:34 AM   #25
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Thanks for posting. I realize it is still years away, but I eagerly anticipate completion of the Del Mar to Julian trail.
Gotta link? I am curious about what parts are finished... is this a cycling trail or strictly walking?
genec is offline   Reply With Quote