Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a better value in a steel frame, carbon fork hybrid than KHS Urban Xtreme?

As my earlier posts indicate, I have been looking for a hybrid as a newbie who wants to get back on a bicycle for supplemental exercise (as I am 50, 6'0", 200 pounds, and am in decent shape from having done two to three circuit weight training workouts per week for over 30 years) by exploring in southern California on pavement and light bike trails and light bike baths with a setup that won't need to be altered for different venues.

My research seemed to point toward a steel frame, non-suspension fork for the most comfortable ride and most versatile setup. And I was leaning toward either the Coda Sport (MSRP of $600) or the Coda (MSRP of $475). I didn't want to look at anything much more expensive because I am trying to squeeze this out as a family Christmas gift.

But it has come to my attention that the KHS Urban Xtreme has a steel frame and carbon fork for a seemingly incomparable MSRP of $739. I know that the comparable Coda Comp with steel frame and carbon fork has an MSRP of $800.

Here are the specifications for the KHS Urban Xtreme:

Frame - Reynolds 520 DB CrMo tubing w/curved seatstays and carrier bosses, Forged Vertical Drop Outs
    Fork - Carbon blades w/Alloy steerer
    Headset - 1-1/8" Threadless
    Rims - Weinmann SP-17 Double wall, CNC sidewalls
    Hubs - Front: Formula alloy; Rear: Shimano Cassette
    Tires - Kenda Kwest 700x35c, w/K-Shield Anti-puncture
    Spokes - 14G Black 32
    Front Derailleur - Shimano FD-453A
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Sora
    Shifters - Shimano SL440 Trigger
    Chain - KMC Z82
    Crankset - Alloy Forged 52/42/30
    Bottom Bracket - ISIS spline, Sealed cartridge
    Cassette - SRAM PG850 12-26, 8 Speed
    Pedals - Dual Sided Mulitfunction, Clipless and Standard
    Seatpost - Alloy micro-adjust
    Saddle - San Marco Ischia
    Handlebar - Alloy Flat
    Stem - Alloy 17, Threadless
    Grips - Dual density grips
    Brake Levers - Tektro Alloy
    Brakes - Shimano M421 V-Brake

Are folks aware of any hybrid bicycle with a steel frame and carbon fork at a better price?

Do folks think that the extra $139 for the carbon fork and other components of the KHS Urban Xtreme are worth it compared to the Coda Sport?

Thanks for you advice and input.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of this one before, but it looks interesting. The frame & fork look like they would yield a nice ride. Likewise the 700x35 tires would be cushy. They save money here and there on the components, like in using an 8-spd Sora group set and a no-name crankset. But they have to do this to hit this price point with that frame.

Those curved seat stays look interesting too. Like they would soak up the bumps.

I found some reviews on the web, but I'm assuming you have already read those.

It's a bike I would want to test ride if I were looking for a flat bar road bike in the $700 price range.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the looks and components of the Coda Comp better for $60 more. How do you feel about the dealers selling the two bikes in your area? That is a bigger issue than a few dollars for comparable bikes.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I agree with BD. The Coda Comp has a better overall set of parts. Larger dealer network and a more established reputation.

I've ridden the Comp, it's a well made bike. And I've seen them sold at slight discounts too.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 12-10-07 at 11:46 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post