Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of e-commerce

I'm selling, or trying to sell, a frameset on Craigslist. The price for the frameset is $600.00. Today I received this email from an interested party:

Sounds Good,
    Am highly interested in purchasing the 1 motorcycle and I will be willing to offer you $450 for it.

How anyone gets from an ad for a carbon fiber frameset (with photos) to "1 motorcycle" is beyond me, let alone the two-thirds price he's offering. Maybe I'll sell him an old Schwinn LeTour and tell him the engine costs extra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen new members join BikeForums thinking it is a motorcycle forum. They obviously don't read many posts or threads before blindly jumping in. It usually takes about 4 or 5 posts before they catch on or someone clues them in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are those that score good bike buys on Craigslist but I have had so-so results both buying or selling. Most bikes are unrealistically overpriced and when you go to sell something it can turn into a pain in the arse. After about 20 emails back and forth about selling a stationary trainer, they buyer then wanted me to deliver the thing to him after work in a less than desirable part of town. No deal.

People seem to assume that since the ads are free to post the price should be knocked down even if you post price is firm.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I had found a new riding partner with someone that regularly goes out and does a 50 mile ride at the weekends. We talked about the joys of riding out in the country side and we were going to meet up sometime for a ride but his bike is in bits right now so as I am a competent mechanic-I asked what the problem is- The rear wheel has a kink in it and he can't get new spokes and bearings from Honda for such an old bike.
    Last edited by stapfam; 12-15-07 at 01:13 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    People seem to assume that since the ads are free to post the price should be knocked down even if you post price is firm.
    I'm learning that as well, slowly but surely. There's always eBay, but the format's a hassle. Oh, well, it's all part of selling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Thought I had found a new riding partner with someone that regularly goes out and does a 50 mile ride at the weekends. We talked about the joys of riding out in the country side and we were going to meet up sometime for a ride but his bike is in bits right now so as I am a competent mechanic-I asked what the problem is- The rear wheel has a kink in it and he can't get new spokes and bearings from Honda for such an old bike.
    Clearly, he ought to replace the entire rear wheel, maybe with something from Harley Davidson. Now THAT would be a bike!