Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-29-07, 12:55 PM   #1
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tips for Propping Bikes Without Kickstands

So, when a tree or building is available, you could lean your bike against it, but you should engage one of the brakes so the bike doesn't roll.

What are some good tips about keeping your bike off the ground, when you're not straddling it? In a previous life as an Army medic, it was common to use "blousing rubbers" on your military pants. You would "blouse" your pant cuff with these short elastic bands with tiny hooks on their ends, so that the pants look like they're tucked in your boots. The point being something like elastic bands to press the rear brake lever towards the handlebar?

What do you use to anchor the (front or back?) brake lever ... and are there any other tips for propping bikes without kickstands?
Motorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 01:16 PM   #2
BSLeVan

Bikes:
I carry a small 10 inch strip of Velcro (two-sided) to use for emergency strapping of things. It can be used to hold a brake lever in or to strap the front wheel to the down tube so the bike doesn't roll of the wheel turn. There used to be a device called (I believe) the Flickstand that would do the same thing with the front wheel. Don't know if it's even made any longer. But the Velcro works well.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 02:16 PM   #3
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
This thread strikes me as being equivalent to one on "how to keep warm in the snow without wearing a coat."

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 02:18 PM   #4
skiph

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
Cut across an old inner tube somewhere, then cut it again about 5/8"--3/4" away so you have a nice "rubber band" the diameter of the tube. This works best for a 700-25 size tube, as bigger ones might be too long.

Then use it slipped over the curved part of the drop bars and the brake lever, adjusting as needed to clamp the brake firmly enough to keep the bike from rolling. The tension can also be adjusted by how wide the rubber band is cut.

Store it over the top of the steerer tube/stem when riding, hooking it over the stem clamp bolts...you will figure it out.

Also works on flat bar bikes with 'regular' brake levers.

Note: I did not figure this out myself, I saw it in another thread somewhere on BF.
skiph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 02:44 PM   #5
bkaapcke

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lean the rear wheel/tire against the tree/pole or whatever. It won't roll. Retro grump that I am, I still use a (gasp) kickstand. bk
bkaapcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 02:52 PM   #6
reiffert

Bikes:
Carry a 6" tall flat rock. Using it under one pedal, bike will be supported just as though you had a kickstand. Just make sure to have the crank angle right so there isn't much lean, preventing the front wheel from flopping over. That way you don't need any superfluous bits hanging off your brake levers or clamped to the frame.

Round rocks may look more elegant, but are less functional. Large crystals are available in shops.

Your rock makes a statement; choose wisely. However, if you later find that your rock isn't compatible with your image, they (the rock) are easily recyclable.
reiffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 03:03 PM   #7
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Here is what you are looking for. Carry it in your bag, weighs only 75 grams. Elegant & stylish. Only need one even if you own several bikes.

The Click-Stand ...

http://www.click-stand.com/
Old 12-29-07, 03:08 PM   #8
tntom

Bikes: Felt Z35
I just lay my bike on the ground. So far I have been able to pick it back up.
tntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 03:19 PM   #9
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
Foregoing a carbon-based 6" rock (less than 900 grams), the click-stand is not a bad idea at all, and the tube-strip idea is good thinking.
Motorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 03:24 PM   #10
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntom View Post
I just lay my bike on the ground. So far I have been able to pick it back up.
But the dilemma is... laying it on the left side screws up the mirror and laying it on the right side is not good for the rear derailer. And when the bike is loaded down for touring there are lots of reasons you'd not want to lay it down.

Last summer I carried a special kickstand-like device that you wedge up around the bottom bracket to act like a normal kickstand. It seemed a little tedious.
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 03:30 PM   #11
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
If you lay your bike on the ground it can't fall over. That's not true when you use a kickstand.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 03:35 PM   #12
tntom

Bikes: Felt Z35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
If you lay your bike on the ground it can't fall over. That's not true when you use a kickstand.

Never had anything fall of the ground Yet.
tntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 04:25 PM   #13
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
So, when a tree or building is available, you could lean your bike against it, but you should engage one of the brakes so the bike doesn't roll.

What are some good tips about keeping your bike off the ground, when you're not straddling it? In a previous life as an Army medic, it was common to use "blousing rubbers" on your military pants. You would "blouse" your pant cuff with these short elastic bands with tiny hooks on their ends, so that the pants look like they're tucked in your boots. The point being something like elastic bands to press the rear brake lever towards the handlebar?

What do you use to anchor the (front or back?) brake lever ... and are there any other tips for propping bikes without kickstands?
There's always a tree or building or fence available. May have to walk a bit, however.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 04:39 PM   #14
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
I carry a small 10 inch strip of Velcro (two-sided)
It can be used to hold a brake lever in
+1
Old 12-30-07, 01:15 AM   #15
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Here's another one you can carry in a bag, the Greenfield EasyStand. It slips between your cranks and the hub, whenever you need it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 4652-GreefieldKStand.gif (45.8 KB, 37 views)

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-30-07, 02:29 AM   #16
deraltekluge

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
A bike will roll away when it's leaned against something? Really?

Anyway, my trike (which could roll away) has a parking brake. Apply the brake, push a button on the brake lever mechanism, and it holds the brake applied.
deraltekluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 06:11 AM   #17
Carusoswi

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
This thread strikes me as being equivalent to one on "how to keep warm in the snow without wearing a coat."
. . . and, so, you shiver in the cold and your bike falls over, or you wear a coat to keep warm and have either equipped your bike with a kick stand or have figured out some reliable means of standing it upright securely without relying on the kickstand.

The OP probably has figured out the coat part . . . this thread is about the "standing a bike upright without a kickstand" part.

So, humorous us with a response to the question, if you will.

Caruso
Carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 06:15 AM   #18
Carusoswi

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkaapcke View Post
Lean the rear wheel/tire against the tree/pole or whatever. It won't roll. Retro grump that I am, I still use a (gasp) kickstand. bk
My LBS taught me this trick. If you make certain that the rear tire contacts "the tree/pole or whatever" at 1:00 and 5:00, friction at those points will conspire to lock the tire in place . . . it won't roll forward or backward.

You'd be amazed at how securely this arrangement will allow you to confidently lean your bike up against most any vertical surface.

If you are doubtful, feel free to lock either front or rear brake for added protection.

Caruso
Old 12-30-07, 06:17 AM   #19
Carusoswi

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Here is what you are looking for. Carry it in your bag, weighs only 75 grams. Elegant & stylish. Only need one even if you own several bikes.

The Click-Stand ...

http://www.click-stand.com/
Nothing wrong with that gizzmo - but I'd rather search for and go with a solution that doesn't involve adding another piece of gear to your package. For the price you pay to lug that stick around, you may as well go with a kick stand and be done with it.

Caruso
Old 12-30-07, 08:19 AM   #20
BillK

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorad View Post
...and are there any other tips for propping bikes without kickstands?
This is similar to reiffert's approach, but without the rock. Dismount next to a curb. While standing on the side of the bike opposite the curb, use your foot to spin your cranks counterclock-wise until your pedal (laying flat) comes in contact with the stop of the curb. Assuming you're not on a slope, your bike should now stand up all by itself. I've never had a bike fall over in such a configuration.

P.S. I've heard about skiph's approach, but it was in terms of preventing folks from quickly taking off with your bike while you were stopping at the loo, buying pie, etc. (i.e., thief jumps on your bike, hoping to make a quick get-away, and is rudely surprised when it will barely move).

Last edited by BillK; 12-30-07 at 08:25 AM.
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 08:48 AM   #21
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
I use the velcro trick to set the brake when parking my LWB bent, especially when I have the lexan front fairing on it. The thick rubber band trick would work, too. Thanks for the tip!
If it is really windy I'll lay my bike down on its left side, although as David says, it screws up my "Fred Mirror!" But it has to be really windy to lay it down.
At a ride (CANDISC) for evening entertainment they had a comedian give a real funny routine. He brought down the house when he said "he figured out the difference between the cheap $200.00 Wal Mart Beaters and the $3000.00 bikes. The Wal Mart Beaters are parked held up with kick stands, the expensive ones are thrown down in the mud and dirt! "
bobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 09:12 AM   #22
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I lean the bike against a tree, a wall, a fence or whatever is available without anything to hold the brake or wheel. I often use my pedal to support the bike on a curb or parking barrier. When it is windy or there is no convenient place to lean the bike, I just lay it down on its left side. No biggie.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 09:38 AM   #23
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
This is similar to reiffert's approach, but without the rock. Dismount next to a curb. While standing on the side of the bike opposite the curb, use your foot to spin your cranks counterclock-wise until your pedal (laying flat) comes in contact with the stop of the curb. Assuming you're not on a slope, your bike should now stand up all by itself. I've never had a bike fall over in such a configuration.

P.S. I've heard about skiph's approach, but it was in terms of preventing folks from quickly taking off with your bike while you were stopping at the loo, buying pie, etc. (i.e., thief jumps on your bike, hoping to make a quick get-away, and is rudely surprised when it will barely move).
These are the methods I use and they work quite well. And the cost is just right.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 10:11 AM   #24
Terrierman

Bikes:
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
You only have to lean your bike against whatever it is you want to lean it against with only the back tire in contact with the leaning post, tree, trash can or whatever. It will not go anywhere or fall over. Try it.
Old 12-30-07, 10:48 AM   #25
werewolf

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed
And then there's the forgotten art of propping up the bike against the curb with the pedal.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote