Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to care for new Brooks saddle?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to care for new Brooks saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 09:19 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nancy sv
Where does one get proofide anyway? Does anybody know what's in it? If it is just beeswax, then any beeswax should be fine. Is there some mystery ingredient in Proofide?
You can also get it here: https://www.wallbike.com/tools.html (Keep scrolling).
Old 01-08-08, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just learned from the seller of my third Brooks NOT to put proofhide under the saddle, just on top. He said this is to allow the moist to escape this way. I always carry a plasticbag, worries that someone want to steal my seat I often cower it up for that reason also.

I turn them upside down and pour oil into them, leave it to soak in and then pour /wipe off the rest. He said this is yhe thing to do, oil under, proofhide on top. This is the big bikeguru over here.

For x-mas I got a saddlecower in plastic with a fluffy tigerpattern "fur" top- and a small tail (can be remowed). Great fun. In the winter I often use a sheepskin cover, makes it a bit warmer.
Old 01-08-08, 08:45 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
I just learned from the seller of my third Brooks NOT to put proofhide under the saddle, just on top. He said this is to allow the moist to escape this way. I always carry a plasticbag, worries that someone want to steal my seat I often cower it up for that reason also.

I turn them upside down and pour oil into them, leave it to soak in and then pour /wipe off the rest. He said this is yhe thing to do, oil under, proofhide on top. This is the big bikeguru over here.

For x-mas I got a saddlecower in plastic with a fluffy tigerpattern "fur" top- and a small tail (can be remowed). Great fun. In the winter I often use a sheepskin cover, makes it a bit warmer.
Suit yourself and believe the guru of your choice, but Brooks specifically advises against using oils as they clog the pores of the leather and don't allow it to breathe.
Old 01-08-08, 05:37 PM
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've heard so many times NOT to put oil on it that I think I'll forget the oil and go with the Proofide. I want this puppy to last and last and last and last and...
Old 01-08-08, 06:26 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the new saddle, oil is your friend.

These are the directions on an old container of mink oil:

HOW TO USE

Apply liberally in aciruclar motion to penetrate
leather, with a soft cloth. Wipe off excess and
let dry overnight. For best results, use regularly.

For a new saddle, you will want to follow the above instructions for use for about three times.

Here's a tip: rub some mink oil (or whatever emolument you wish to use) into the flaps, and ask some dude that thinks he has a strong grip to force the flaps past the frame and try to curl the leather flaps under the saddle with his hands and fingers: it's tough to do on a Brooks because the leather is thick and stiff (it is hard to do, even on a preconditioned B-17). If you've got a strong pair of hands, you can start that process right away; otherwise, you can do it yourself but it may take a few more treatments.

The more you work the leather the more it likes it. The only thing bad that you can ever do to a Brooks saddle would be to not put oil back into it, or if you left so much oil on it that it attracted dirt and grime that never got wiped off and got ground into the leather. Leather can stretch but only when it is getting broken in--so that's not a bad thing--and, that is what the tensioning bolt is for.

You have to keep the saddle properly tensioned or it would be nothing but a sling--rock hard is better than that. However, best is proper leather conditioning so that the saddle is compliant and springy.

Last edited by wagathon; 01-08-08 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-08-08, 06:43 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
/\ /\ /\ /\ Yikes!
Old 01-08-08, 06:45 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My proven 5 point system for protecting a Brooks while touringL

1. Fenders
2. Rain Cape
3. shower-cap, velox cover or grocery bag
4. Don't leave the saddle exposed to a pouring rain (that means without your okole or a cover over it)
5. If the saddle does get soaked, let it dry completely before riding on it again.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-08-08, 07:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love these Brooks discussions.

The different treatments that have been presented show that it basically doesn't matter what you do to a Brooks saddle. Common sense, of the type you would use for any piece of good leather, is the important thing.

It has not been explicitly stated but I know that the Brooks Pro's leather is significantly thicker than the B17. I can't comment on the other styles, but I know these. Therefore, some of the conflicting approaches to care, treatment and break in times may be due, in part, to the particular style of saddle you choose. Also, the layout of the grain of the leather is different on a B17 vs a Pro.

One day I will own a swallow. That has to be one of the most beautiful saddles on the planet.
Old 01-08-08, 07:55 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course, you can pay another $15 or so and purchase a Pre-Aged one from Brooks. One into which they have already worked various oils. The leather is a bit softer.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-28-15, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I know this is an old post but I stumbled across it while searching for care of Brooks saddles. I just wanted to mention my experience. I have a Brooks B66 which came with my bike in 1994 and both are still in use today. It was a special edition bike from the vsf Fahrradmanufaktur in Germany. I never treated this saddle in any way. No wax, no oil... Nothing. It still holds up perfect. But the bike has never been sitting in the rain for a longer period. Only occasionally in front of a store/restaurant but it was always stored in the dry. Either covered bike rack, garage or shed. And the bike has fenders too so the saddle never got wet from underneath.
I really like it and would buy one again. The only thing I don't like: Mine came in black. And the black color has worn off a bit over the years and as discolored some pants of mine. Yes I would buy one again but only in a natural non colored version.
Old 10-29-15, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by nancy sv
I've heard so many times NOT to put oil on it that I think I'll forget the oil and go with the Proofide. I want this puppy to last and last and last and last and...
EDIT!!! Jeezum, I just noticed this is a seven year old ZOMBIE thread!
Nevermind....

Wise choice. The above mentioned "guru" reminds me of some of those whacky cult leaders. Dead wrong. Oil only will prematurely kill a fine saddle, unless used very sparingly. But that's why they make Proofide. So you can control how much oil goes into the leather. Very little, ideally.
Some great advice here. And some not so great.
Listen to the manufacturer. And if not them, the guy who contracted Brooks' saddle repairs for roughly two decades,
Tony Colegrave. He is against putting Proofide on the underside of the saddle, as it clogs the pores and doesn't allow the leather to breathe. Which it needs to do, especially when it gets damp or wet. The suggestion of using fenders on a tour like yours is a must do.

Then again, if you are taking your kids on this monumental tour, you'll have far more serious concerns than your saddle!
Good on ya! Sounds like an amazing, once in a lifetime adventure.