Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Epididymitis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Epididymitis

Anyone here ever suffer from this, and if so, what did you do about it?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I saw a doctor right away.

Edit: If you have epididymitis, you don't need to be told that it can be extremely painful. You should probably not plan on riding a bicycle until you get it cleared up. A little swelling in the scrotum goes a long, long way.
    Last edited by Skipper; 01-08-08 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Yes. I saw a doctor right away.

Edit: If you have epididymitis, you don't need to be told that it can be extremely painful. You should probably not plan on riding a bicycle until you get it cleared up. A little swelling in the scrotum goes a long, long way.
    I don't know what it is, I've never had to my knowledge, Skipper's description is scary, but the name is really really funny. Say it several times out loud and you'll be the hit of the party.

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would most likely know if you have ever had it. Check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epididymitis for more info.

My Bikes
    93Univega/Carisma/Cromo/7spd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had it twice. No fun at all. Second time lasted well over two months. Saw the urologist both times and he said it usually clears up on its own, but gave me antibiotics which didn't do anything.
    Blue Steed

Keeping A Low Profile
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock Sport [1998], Dahon Speed P8 2007, 1994 Diamond Back Ascent and a couple of Schwinn Stingrays [one boys, one girls] from circa 1977.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had what felt like a third nut, went to the doctor. There was no pain but he explained that if it burst it would not only be very painful but also serious requiring emergency treatment. This was 35 years ago. I don't recall him calling it epididymitis . . . but I know that the resulting surgery was called an epididymectomy [sp?].

I took that opportunity [being under a general anesthesia in a hospital] to have a vasectomy also. Actually, the epididymectomy took care of one side . . . the vasectomy the other. Painless!

Definitely see a urologist!

DON
    The older I get the less future there is to worry about!

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes you can get a form of epididymitis even years post vasectomy from sperm leaks. You can try antibiotics although it usually doesn't help as this kind is non infectious. In fact, in the good old days a vasectomy was sometimes done supposedly to prevent infection from travelling upstream from the prostate to the epididymis. Not done anymore, though, or at least very rarely. I sometimes think historically this was used as an excuse to sneak vasectomies into Catholic Hospitals! Hah!
    I sound like a salesman, but if you are unlucky enough to develop an epididymitis this is another great reason to ride a recumbent. Seriously...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the responses. I began to feel like I was the only one dealing with this, and one riding partner said there was no way most folks would want to even talk about this. I guess because it can often be considered a sexually transmitted kind of thing. Although, I've done some additional research and spoken with my physician and the belief is that I'm one of those rare folks who run into this from strenuous exercise with a full bladder. This actually makes sense since the outbreak occurred the day after I didn't stop to relieve myself and pushed ahead with one of the hardest climbs I've done in years. In fact, the climb was so hard for me that I almost didn't make it. In any event, I'm trying to figure out how long I'm going to be nursing this. I did take the antibotics for two weeks and that helped, but it's been over a month with on and off again 'discomfort". I've never been quite as focused on seat position as I am these days. Oh, well I guess time will tell.
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 01-09-08 at 12:32 PM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 15 years ago I experienced severe pain in the scrotum, and a urologist declared that I had an inflammation, probably torsion-related, of an epididymis appendix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appendix_of_the_epididymis

I ran a minor fever one night, but otherwise simply rested, although the urologist mentioned options of an antibiotic or even simple outpatient surgical removal of the offending structure, if it did not self-resolve within a few days (fortunately it did). For the pain, I took a few aspirin (my analgesic of choice) per day and intermittently used an ice pack wraped in a cloth. When I needed to get up and walk around, wearing a jockstrap seemed to control the pain somewhat.

The urologist said that no one really knows the cause of non-STD, non-vasectomy cases, such as mine, but I have always wondered whether cycling might have had something to do with it. Anyway, all's well that ends well, although it certainly was more than a bit of a pain to go through this.

More on epididymis torsion:
    http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic595.htm
    Last edited by John E; 01-09-08 at 02:16 PM.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post

More on epididymis torsion:
    http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic595.htm
    Thanks for the link.