Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Club: The Frigid Rigids?

OK, I named it, but we can certainly change it. Me and Tom might be the only ones actually cold, and he doesn't ride his in the winter.

Let's clean up all these bikes we just bought and post pics of them in the next few days. Anyone else a member of this club? Celebrating the come-back of rigid MTBs!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several members of this forum who are from Wisconsin. At least another 10 or so.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but do they have rigid MTBS? If so, SHOW THEM!

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Trek 820 mountain bike has a suspension fork. My Bridgestone CB-1 has a rigid frame, but is technically a city bike, albeit with a frame that is very similar to their mountain bikes. Close enough to qualify, I'd say.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll be an honorary member, because it's rarely frigid down here! Chilly, yes. Frigid? Rarely!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to look at a $30 Craigslist Trek 820 tomorrow night. If it fits...
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a charter member of the rigid steel club (not so frigid lately though).
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not frigid but rigid.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good start with the photos! I'm waiting for just the littlest sliver of sunshine to take my beauty "bike shot".

Edit: I just stuck "Frigid" in there because it rhymed, and because, well, I can't really imagine anything non-frigid at this time of year. Everyone is a member, even those in South America!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No pics yet but the Kona Explosif is still about that I bought 13 years ago. Out on loan again but it now has a pair of Manitou Suspension forks from the Era fitted. To be honest- 1" of movement and then "Klunk" was the height of suspension in those days. Must still have the original Project ll forks about somewhere so will try to get it back into OM condition.

And this bike was the one I learnt to fall safely at speed on. Fast downhills with rigid forks taught you that- I had enough of them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does it have to be a recent purchase? I've never left the
    rigid scene.

Is this Frigid enough?

Last edited by cranky old dude; 01-11-08 at 12:12 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My diamonback has a suspension fork. Havent ridden it in 3 years, but will start getting it ready again this weekend

I guess I should add I am primarily a roadie.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
    I'm going to look at a $30 Craigslist Trek 820 tomorrow night. If it fits...
    ...and the size was right so I got it for $25. I've started tearing it down and didn't think to take a "before" pic. It's pretty dirty. And heavy. Stem, bars and seatpost are all steel with some rust on the bars. I made sure they weren't seized to the frame before buying; they'd been greased, thankfully. I'm looking for lighter alloy replacements on eBay. Should shed a few pounds.

Not sure of the vintage but it's an 820 "Antelope". Color is light blue with that "silly string/cobwebby" texture in dark blue. I'm guessing mid 80's to early 90's. And it's got those funky Biopace rings. We'll see if they feel too weird before replacing them.

It'll need a new chain and cables; to be expected.

So far in the teardown and degreasing the bearings, cassette, etc. seem to be in good shape but I'll bet it hasn't seen new grease in at least 10 years. Still have the BB and front hub to do. Surprisingly, the tires still hold air and aren't dryrotted.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Specialized Hard Rock is unfortunately in the shop after suffering a spoke pop last night. But the included rim truing will prepare it for going down the snowy streets this winter. It proved its capability in last years snows.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad6mj View Post
    Not frigid but rigid. ...
    That's my mountain bike situation, as well (see signature).

Mine is smaller than the one pictured and has handlebar extensions and black cable housings and no spoke protector.
    Last edited by John E; 01-11-08 at 01:35 PM.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just gave away my ancient Ross Mt St Helens this past summer. Still have a Specialized Rock Hopper, but it has a front shock so I'm out in the cold on this one.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you are. No team jersey for you!

(LOL! The jersey could say "rigid member")

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out in the cold here on two counts! One - we live in ND which is generally a lot colder than Wisconsin!
    Two - no MT bike, can't ride an upright for medical reasons although with I could sometimes. Just ride a bent, but do it in the cold but not today with temp around 0! Going ice fishing instead! Heh!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the Scott, in final form:

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    Out in the cold here on two counts! One - we live in ND which is generally a lot colder than Wisconsin!
    Yah! Bismarck is where we Minnesotas look to feel better about our own temps.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    It's colder than where I live in Wisconsin, but close to what central Wisconsin gets.

Your coldest day of the year has an average high of 20, low of -2.

Eau Claire, WI is high of 20, low of 2.

Minneapolis, MN is high of 21, low of 3.

Hayward, WI is high of 18, low of -3.

Verona, WI (5 miles from me) is high of 23, low of 5.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Scott looks nice. Good clean lines. I see you are using toe clips.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    It's colder than where I live in Wisconsin, but close to what central Wisconsin gets.

Your coldest day of the year has an average high of 20, low of -2.

Eau Claire, WI is high of 20, low of 2.

Minneapolis, MN is high of 21, low of 3.

Hayward, WI is high of 18, low of -3.

Verona, WI (5 miles from me) is high of 23, low of 5.
    Yeah, but I don't think many of their days are "normal". You get some extreme* cold fronts from Canada through there. They can be 30 degrees below what we are in the Twin Cities.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    The Scott looks nice. Good clean lines. I see you are using toe clips.
    It really does, doesn't it... I've very attracted to this bike. And it's fast and light, too! I mean compared to my expectations, it's twice as fast.

And there's something very cool about the fit on it. It feels very, very good. It's long and low.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's mine!

At long last, I've completed my overhaul of a $25 Trek 820 Craigslist find. After about $110 worth of parts here it is:

New(used) bits, mostly from eBay: Alloy handlebar from Specialized Stumpjumper (replaced heavy rusted original steel), new Promax alloy seatpost (see handlebar), cosmetic second "LookIn" titanium rail saddle by Selle Royal, new $5.99 chain from hardware store, lightly used Shimano LX Biopace crankset 48-38-28. New Forte (Performance) toeclips, straps, grips, & tires, new cables, Koolstop pads. Still should get new housings before using in earnest.

Original derailleurs work well after cleaning & lubing. Overhauled hubs smooth as silk.

Trust me, it was in rough shape when I got it! Lots of degreaser, scrubbing, and general elbow grease. Wood chips and sand came out of the hubs and BB! Rear hub cones and the BB spindle were slightly pitted. I re-machined them using a Dremel while spinning in a drill press, and polishing with 400 grit wet sandpaper wrapped around a screwdriver shaft. Not something I'd do to high end or heavily pitted stuff but it worked well. Surprisingly the bearings themselves still looked good but I replaced a few questionable ones.

And so far I like that Biopace crank. I was going to get a standard round set but reading Sheldon Brown's article on Biopace convinced me to give it a try.

A quick round the block shakedown cruise felt good. It's a heavy frame but it feels nimble.

But...the plot thickens: there's a potentially interesting old Fuji lugged steel MTB on CL here, so those new bits might "migrate".
    Last edited by bcoppola; 02-03-08 at 10:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast